This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus to make the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (movie version)! ^_^

This is a little news item that caught my eye because I'm a gadget geek, AND a fan of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

So, a few years ago, the long in development movie version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy came out. And regardless of what you thought of the movie itself, there's no denying the fact that the movie's PROP for the Hitchhiker's Guide itself was incredibly cool! It looks like the electronic book of your dreams! When closed, it looks, well, like a book. But when opened, it has a large, widescreen display that somehow folds in half. Gone is the "scientific calculator" style keypad seen in other adaptations, replaced by voice commands and/or a touch screen interface! Very modern, very cool! You can see the movie prop in this short clip on YouTube: CLICK HERE!

Then, just a few days ago, Asus announced and showed off a new notebook computer, with a "dual touchscreen" display. Check it out....

It's the bloody Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

Just thought I'd share that with everyone!
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 03-13-2009, 03:35 PM. Reason: Edited to add link to news item.
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

That looks awesome!! I LOVE HGTG (RIP, Douglas Adams) The movie though, was horrid (except for the brief cameo of the BBC's Marvin)

Does it say Don't Panic?
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
      That looks awesome!! I LOVE HGTG (RIP, Douglas Adams) The movie though, was horrid (except for the brief cameo of the BBC's Marvin)

Does it say Don't Panic?
      I doubt very much that it would do so out of the box...

but it's very easy to obtain custom-printed skins to apply to your laptop these days! I imagine you could even make it look virtually identical to the movie prop, if you wanted!

As for the light-up Hitchhiker's thumb logo... that would require more extensive modifications!
      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
      --StanFlouride

Comment

I want one! AWESOME!!!
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I just realized that I never posted a link to any news stories about this new notebook computer!

My first post is now edited. You can read more about this new notebook (which Asus is calling the Flipbook) HERE, HERE and OVER HERE.

It was originally just a conceptual design, but the response to it has been so positive, they're now talking about producing it sometime in 2010.

I am dead set against touch screen interfaces, so I won't be buying one. But those of you that are into that sort of thing should dig it.

BTW, it does appear that it's going to be noticeably larger than the Hitchhiker's Guide prop that seemingly inspired the design. But then again, a notebook made as small as the prop would only be an underpowered netbook, like the Asus Eee PC models, so this larger size should make for a more usable computer.
          Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 03-13-2009, 03:48 PM.
          --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
            Does it say Don't Panic?
            I was so going to say that! Also, does it come with a towel, and recipes to make our own Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters?
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              I was so going to say that! Also, does it come with a towel?
              No, but you can buy a suitable model yourself, over at ThinkGeek.Com:

Keep it and guard it with your life!
              and recipes to make our own Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters?
              No, but those are quite easy to find... if one knows where to look.
              --StanFlouride

Comment

now children...

We learned something cool today...

Geeks that grew up watching sci fi shows and reading sci fi books, are now ALL grown up (well...physically), and having been told that such things will NEVER come about because its to "unbelieveable, to be real". Well guess who went to college and learned the science behind it all...

Low and behold we have grown up geeks making things that in THEORY weren't meant to exsist.

I mean 20 years ago would you of believed that cell phones, internet, and computers would be a thing normal people could buy?
                It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                  now children...

We learned something cool today...

Geeks that grew up watching sci fi shows and reading sci fi books, are now ALL grown up (well...physically), and having been told that such things will NEVER come about because its to "unbelieveable, to be real". Well guess who went to college and learned the science behind it all...

Low and behold we have grown up geeks making things that in THEORY weren't meant to exsist.

I mean 20 years ago would you of believed that cell phones, internet, and computers would be a thing normal people could buy?
                  YES.

20 years ago isn't as long ago as it sounds... that was 1989. We HAD cell phones in 1989! Granted, they were a LOT bigger and more expensive than they are today, so only the wealthy owned them, and we tended to call them "car phones" back then, but they DID exist!

Personal computers ALSO existed in 1989, and had been around in some form for most if not all of the decade. Throughout the '80s, I used a variety of different personal computers in the computer labs at schools I went to. I clearly remember learning very simple programming in Basic back when I was in elementary school, using a Commodore 64, If I Remember Correctly!

As for the internet... in 1989, the CONCEPT of the internet existed, as science fiction author William Gibson had come out with his "cyberpunk" stories in the early '80s. It was in those stories that Gibson coined the terms "cyberspace" and "the matrix", terms that are still in use to this day.

And while the internet as we know it didn't really hit the scene until the mid-'90s, computers in the '80s DEFINITELY had modems available, and there was at least SOME sort of "online" activity that you could engage in back in 1989.

Now then, what I WOULD have had trouble believing back in 1989 is that devices like the Research In Motion BlackBerries would be available in just 15 years' time... actually, more like 10 years' time in the case of the earliest, email and PDA functions only BlackBerry models! I had NO clue that the mobile internet would become so powerful, so quickly!
                  --StanFlouride

Comment

[Moved to Check It Out...]

That is a remarkable similarity. I'm also a fan of both gadgets and HGTG.
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X