Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had several near-misses with idiots over the years. I'd like to know what goes through the minds of some people locally. Quite a few will walk along dark streets at night wearing dark clothing, and then decide to scream at oncoming traffic.

But, the guys that showed up at my grandmother's place one night take the cake... These fools, most of whom were wearing black, decided that pushing their dead dark green Subaru station wagon along a rural, 2-lane highway at night...was the best idea ever. The reason they were pushing it? About a mile prior, their car quit...and none of them had a phone. Not wanting to leave the car and walk, they decided to push it. Great idea guys! Wearing black clothing, pushing a dark green car--with no lights--along a dark highway at night. A highway, where the 45mph speed limit is a "suggestion"

What was odd is that I told them they could have easily left the car in our parking lot. They could have easily walked the 1/2 mile up the road...where one of the kids lived. Rather than do that, after they couldn't reach anyone on my phone...they thought their best plan of action was to continue pushing the car along the highway
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

What goes through their minds? "You won't dare hit me or you'll go to jail and get a ticket!"

Hmm, maybe.

But if I do, I'm going to fight it in court that you were primarily at fault for the accident (knowingly making yourself hard to see and walking where you shouldn't be walking, and especially if you're jaywalking, wearing headphones, or got your smartphone glued to your face). I've got a clean driving record and no proof of malicious intent so fines against me will be minimal.

You, on the other hand, will spend some time in the hospital, maybe even wind up in the morgue. My Grand Cherokee versus you on (at best) a bike. Physics for the win, bitch.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I'm guessing hoping to play the lawsuit/insurance settlement lotto.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
          What goes through their minds? "You won't dare hit me or you'll go to jail and get a ticket!"

Hmm, maybe.

But if I do, I'm going to fight it in court that you were primarily at fault for the accident (knowingly making yourself hard to see and walking where you shouldn't be walking, and especially if you're jaywalking, wearing headphones, or got your smartphone glued to your face). I've got a clean driving record and no proof of malicious intent so fines against me will be minimal.

You, on the other hand, will spend some time in the hospital, maybe even wind up in the morgue. My Grand Cherokee versus you on (at best) a bike. Physics for the win, bitch.
          You can do that in North Carolina because there is a contributory negligence law. Check the laws in the state you're living in now. You may find they are different.

I almost hit three kids on bikes last night. I was on my way home and took Scientific like I always do, driving the speed limit, slowing to make the turn, when I have to swerve at the last minute.

The three kids were dressed in black clothing, on dark colored bikes that had no reflectors. They were practically invisible, they were crossing Scientific, and they didn't stop at the stop sign.

I nearly hit the one who was in the wrong fucking lane, and the other two nearly slammed into the side of my truck.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

This is always what goes through my mind. Regardless of what happens to me, you've still been hit by a car!

I need to get a camera in my van...
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              This is always what goes through my mind. Regardless of what happens to me, you've still been hit by a car!

Right? The other day I saw a little disagreement between a woman pushing a stroller and a truck turning right at the light. Absolutely the pedestrian had the right of way, she had the little "walk" sign and everything. However the truck was looking the other way for cars, so the he could turn right against the red light and I really don't think he saw her. So yes, he was in the wrong, and I saw the lady gesturing at him, but... A baby's life seems more important than being right, right?

And around here people are so good with pedestrian, this was not the norm at all.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

^This. In a bike-versus-car accident, the car will always win. At most, the driver will get a dented panel or a broken window. The cyclist, on the other hand...is going to get injured. Maybe not seriously, but they'll always come off worse. Hell, I know a guy who injured himself because he took a corner too wide on his Schwinn...and plowed into the side of my (parked--and *loaded*) '66 Radio-Flyer "station wagon." He hit the side, and went flying. The bike was trashed...and my '66 only lost some paint.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post

I think it could be a worth while investment for any good, professional driver. It makes at least some instances of other driver stupidity obvious.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    I almost hit three kids on bikes last night. I was on my way home and took Scientific like I always do, driving the speed limit, slowing to make the turn, when I have to swerve at the last minute.
                    Makes you wish for a cop, and where do the parents think these morons are?

Parenting FAIL!!!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Right? The other day I saw a little disagreement between a woman pushing a stroller and a truck turning right at the light. Absolutely the pedestrian had the right of way, she had the little "walk" sign and everything. However the truck was looking the other way for cars, so the he could turn right against the red light and I really don't think he saw her. So yes, he was in the wrong, and I saw the lady gesturing at him, but... A baby's life seems more important than being right, right?
                      Let's just say Darwin was across the street placing bets.

Anyway, that specific situation is covered in our annual safety training. Doesn't mean drivers don't do it, but the company has covered its butt.

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                      I think it could be a worth while investment for any good, professional driver. It makes at least some instances of other driver stupidity obvious.
                      ...or deliberate fraud.

I found one today at Mallwart for $40. (Yay early Black Friday sales...) It's not the kind I really want, but it's better than nothing. Now I just need to scrape together an extra $40...
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                        This is always what goes through my mind. Regardless of what happens to me, [b]you've still been hit by a car!
                        This plus 1000

I ride a motorcycle. A 1994 Harley Sportster in case anyone is interested. I don't buy into the "Loud pipes save lives" thing, because out here people have their car windows up and are running their AC and are usually listening to their music and/or texting. Besides, physics says that the only time they could hear me is if their windows are open is when I'm passing them.

I have flags mounted on my bike and I wear yellow and red fringe. I WANT people to see me.

I'm still the most defensive driver on the road. I KNOW that as soon as I swing my leg over the saddle I have just become invisible.

It doesn't matter if I have the right of way, I always yield it because it doesn't matter who is right, I'm the one who will end up in the hospital or dead.

However, my car is dark blue. Yeah, a stupid color for the desert, but it was free so who am I to complain? About a month ago, I was stopped at a light and suddenly some idiot on a bicycle ran into the side of me. He put some scratches on my car, messed up his bike and broke his phone. Idiot.

Comment

Slave,

It really does amaze me how poorly people notice motorcycles, mopeds, bicyclists, and even the smaller cars. Even wearing a yellow set of these

I was crunched by a truck at a stop light a few years ago.

Big F250, rolled up on me, assuming he was trying to get closer to the intersection and just didn't see me. His bumper popped the rear tire on my Valkyrie and I was able to step off it as it started being pushed forward. Totalled out that bike, between a bend in the frame and needing to replace most of one sides pipes, chrome, etc, it was a better deal to take the insurance, buy the salvage title, sell off the rest of the parts and scrap out the frame.

Comment

Yep, even the little cars can be invisible. My dad knows that all too well. When he was still teaching, he was in a serious accident on the way home one night.

He was behind a large truck, doing the legal 55mph speed limit in his Hyundai Accent. As they were approaching an intersection, the truck slowed to turn right. Before the truck had completely pulled onto the side street, some douche in a Pontiac ran the stop sign...plowing into my dad's car head-on. The douche apparently gave his shitbox car too much throttle, came across the double-yellow, and hit him

Both cars were totaled, and dad had some serious injuries. He got off *very* lucky because of the airbags. Plus, the local fire department was only 2 blocks away, and the hospital was just across the Monongahela. However, looking back on it, he was doubly lucky. Had another car been coming up the road, he would have been injured even more--remember, the airbags had already deployed!

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
                              It really does amaze me how poorly people notice motorcycles, mopeds, bicyclists, and even the smaller cars.
                              Quoth protege View Post
                              Yep, even the little cars can be invisible.
                              It's not just the small cars. I've seen dashcam footage from a (presumably) Crown Vic where the officer is writing someone a ticket, looks back toward the cruiser, gets a horrified look on his face and jumps over the guardrail. The view suddenly shifts when somebody hits the cruiser - which presumably had its "disco lights" going.

Also, people have a hard time noticing ME. Hard to believe that someone wouldn't see a long-wheelbase tractor with a 53 foot trailer, but from the way they drive it's clear they don't see it.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
                                Slave,

It really does amaze me how poorly people notice motorcycles, mopeds, bicyclists, and even the smaller cars. Even wearing a yellow set of these

I was crunched by a truck at a stop light a few years ago.

Big F250, rolled up on me, assuming he was trying to get closer to the intersection and just didn't see me. His bumper popped the rear tire on my Valkyrie and I was able to step off it as it started being pushed forward. Totalled out that bike, between a bend in the frame and needing to replace most of one sides pipes, chrome, etc, it was a better deal to take the insurance, buy the salvage title, sell off the rest of the parts and scrap out the frame.
                                Holy Cow!!! I'm so happy you are alive to post, it could have been so much worse if you weren't paying attention.

Quoth protege View Post
                                Yep, even the little cars can be invisible. My dad knows that all too well. When he was still teaching, he was in a serious accident on the way home one night.

He was behind a large truck, doing the legal 55mph speed limit in his Hyundai Accent. As they were approaching an intersection, the truck slowed to turn right. Before the truck had completely pulled onto the side street, some douche in a Pontiac ran the stop sign...plowing into my dad's car head-on. The douche apparently gave his shitbox car too much throttle, came across the double-yellow, and hit him

Both cars were totaled, and dad had some serious injuries. He got off *very* lucky because of the airbags. Plus, the local fire department was only 2 blocks away, and the hospital was just across the Monongahela. However, looking back on it, he was doubly lucky. Had another car been coming up the road, he would have been injured even more--remember, the airbags had already deployed!
                                I am so sorry your dad was injured so seriously. I'm actually in a group that is trying to make "distracted driving" a felony. Yeah, I know we are never going to win, but when someone is driving a couple of tons of metal they need to watch where they are going. Don't put on make up, don't text, hang up the goshdarned phone...just pay attention to what you are doing because you could seriously injure or kill someone.

Those idiot bicycle riders wearing black at night do have a lot of responsibility, but if someone hits them, they will have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

Comment

Working...
                                X