This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice is needed...

Some of you remember that I worked at a candy store until I transferred over to being the receptionist for a doctor. I was pleased with this move, worked through my three month probation as normal and then the big interview came in January to see if she'd keep me on or not. She decided to extend my probation another three months. No raise and no increase in hours. For three more months. Granted, that time period is almost over now (end of March), but I received a call from the candy store. My old boss wants me to come back, not as cashier, but as assistant manager with a small increase in pay and a larger increase in hours (full time, essentially), with consistent raises and/or bonuses attached. No benefits will be forthcoming in either job (too small of a business).

At this point I'm rather torn. The doctor I work for is at times difficult (ok, usually) and when I do something wrong it's like being scolded by my mother. Guilt guilt guilt. But when I do my job right and she lightens up (I've not so much taught her to lower her expectations as to change how she gives direction--the list-making is working out well now that I've convinced her to do it) I've never had such personal satisfaction at having a job well done. It is ten times easier on my joints as I spend a lot of time sitting without repetitive motion; I am also the doctor's only help. But, I am not making ends meet with this extended probation, though if she keeps me on after I can hope for a bigger raise than what the candy could/would offer me.

However, the candy store has other coworkers whom I miss, a boss I respected just as much (and such a cute family). He works very hard and I was constantly poking at him to lighten his hold on the business because I was certain he rarely saw his wife and kids (he was often at work from opening to close and I rarely saw him eat anything). He's finally taking my old advice and, lo and behold, I'm the one he thought of as trustworthy enough to let him take some vacations and handle the hiring/firing and other things. The bad parts of this job would be the fact that I'd be one my feet all day: this job caused me to buy wrist braces and a pillow to keep my knees bent while I slept. For health reasons alone, I don't want to go back. But, he is offering me a small raise and more hours now and my bills are piling up.

I need advice. From those I've talked to, I have a 50/50 answer as to which I should pick. I have to give my old boss at the candy store an answer by Wednesday of next week. Help?

It soudns like, no matter how much you are afraid of her, you need to sit down with your current boss and discuss the problems, because it sounds like she MAY be one of those continous 'training' ones. I almost got caught in one of those vices (a constent promise of higher wage and benifits dangling infront of me like a carrot only to get farther and farther away), luckily though I found another job that payed more then even THEY were offering. But for you....

... you need to make one of your lists. It helps to sit down and actually stare at the pros and cons of each on an actual piece of paper. List them in importance to YOU and YOUR health for each job... and again, speak with your boss. You've been working almost six months at the job on training pay, and as you have made clear, you can't keep doing that. She has to know.

Comment

I have mentioned to the doctor about the job offer. She started saying that I did have a couple days off with which to work there, but I explained to her that he was looking for full time help. She didn't really say anything after that and was still in a good mood. I'm a tad confused as to her reaction. As to the pros and cons lists...already on it.

Heh, he would ask me something like this when I'm sick with the flu and moving.

Comment

The pros and cons list is a good idea. However, there's a good chance that, when you're finished, you won't have an answer— stuff balances too closely. In that case, I recommend the candy store, for two reasons: first, the "bird in hand" idea. The manager there has a tangable offer on the table. The doctor doesn't. Second off, the manager there sounds more upfront and sincere with you. I don't recall any posting where the manager there deceived you or jerked you around in any way. The doctor, on the other hand, has delayed making a decision that, honestly, shouldn't require any sort of delay. If you can't figure out what a person's skills and temperment are like within 90 days, you've got problems. So she's either stringing you along, or she doesn't have good employee handling skills. So unless there's an overriding reason to stay— or enough little reasons to prefer it— I would... go... (I can't believe I'm saying this...) backtoretail. (Whew. It's easier if you just rush through it!)

Comment

The candy store seems like a much better deal. The doctor could decide in March that she doesn't want to keep you, or that you need another three months probation.

Plus as a manager, you could just go easy on your joints and sit in the back office all day.

Comment

There is no back office to sit in, but I can fill candies and such in the back, and therefore sit on a stool. So far, I've resolved to have a heart to heart with the doctor on Monday and spell everything out. If I don't like her answers to my needs, I will quit and go back to the candy store.

However, further opinions and input would be extremely appreciated and thanks to those who have given their opinions!

Comment

Ok, for those paying attention, here's my pros and cons list:

Candy Pros:
              50 cent raise
              About 40 hrs/week
              Assistant Manager position
              Make schedules (myself included)
              Coworkers
              In charge of hiring/firing

Doctor Pros:
              Possibility of higher wage
              Easier on joints
              More personal satisfaction
              Not retail/more prestige (less unimpressed faces)
              Same hours every week
              Greater responsibility/trust
              More to learn
              Only help

Candy Cons:
              Hard on joints
              Retail

Doctor Cons:
              Already extended probation
              No promise of higher wage
              Possibility of further extension to probation
              Boss harder to get along with at times

Comment

Another thought:

What does either job have to do with you in the next 5 or 6 years? Can you grow/ improve with the candy job? Or do you have a better chance with the doctor job?

Would either of these be what you want to be when you're 50? Would either of these be a starting point for when you're 50?

Just to think about...

Cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Go with what makes you happy. Talk to your boss about the other job and tell her you are worried about making ends meet.

If she can't fix it, go for the other job. Assistant Manager looks GREAT on your resume, much better than receptionist. Retail, sadly, is where it's at. Unless you're going to med school, I would say go to the candy store. You have fun there, they can pay you and give you hours, and it's a good position.
                  JB: Are you the grief counselor?
                  GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

Comment

Candy Store, hands down. Your old boss has made it clear he respects you, this doctor has not. What you say about working for her sounds oh so familiar....

I worked for a doctor for eleven months. Same as you, he kept extending my 'probationary period'. Four times! He was very disorganized but would constantly blame it on either me (to his nurse) or his nurse (to me). We met every morning and knew each other's work quality better than that! He also felt that since he paid me for 30 hours a week, he could call me at any time, day or night, weekend or not, even if he knew I was out of town, and I'd drop whatever I was doing and hightail it to the office and do whatever he wanted....which was *always* something that COULD wait until regular working hours. He'd get furious when I wouldn't come in to the office at 9 or 10 pm to 'do one thing' on a Saturday night...when I was 100 miles away!

The last straw was when he started bringing his full grown Basset Hound to work so I could 'dogsit' because his wife couldn't be bothered to walk the dog and their neighbors were complaining that the dog howled all day long (it was home alone). The man was an ALLERGIST and I am allergic to dog saliva...and basset hounds DROOL on everything, and everyone.

Comment

I would say the candy store. You can't put a price on respect, and it sounds like your boss at the candy store respects you immensely.

Did the Doctors office give you a reason about the extended probation? That right there would have sent me screaming from the place, especially if I'd done nothing to warrant it.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I'd say the candy store, but that's just my opinion.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Candy, Candy, Candy, I can't let you go... hehehe

Ok - I'm pretty much thinking as the others do, although I'd throw in 2 bits. Talk to the (currently) ex-boss and let him know that a) you need to chill with your joints, so that has to be a major factor in going back there, and b) if you are AM, then you need him to trust you with your decisions and choices - which means - if you get asshats, then he needs to back you up when you kick them out - and not get all $$$-minded. Let him know you will kick people out - and he's got to be ok with that - and not undermine your abilities or 'powers'.

You could also have a chat with the doctor, and mention that one of the major reasons you'd consider leaving is his apparent arrogance (which, if he's expecting to stuff you around and it's ok, then it is arrogance - being that disrespectful).
                          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

I would go with candy. It's not like you have to stay there forever and assistant manager looks good on a resume. The way this doctor is treating you is a load of crap, plus, no candy(unless you have one of those dishes for the patients that has the crap candy in it, but that doesn't count 'cause the candy is crap).
                            Check out my cosplay social group!
                            http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I'd say sit the doc down and say you're leaving unless you get a firm promise that your "probation" will be over in March, and that you'll be getting the promised raise, as you have to consider your ability to pay for life ahead of most stuff.

If you can get that, then I'd stay at the doc's, as killing your joints will...well, kill your joints and make life not fun. If the doc refuses to commit, jump ship, don't look back.
                              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                              X