This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i hate circles

I don't know how common these are in other states by NJ has these lovely "circles" throughout older highways that are sort of like roundabouts in Europe/England. They are highly annoying and slightly confusing to drive through for unaccoustomed drivers.

I personally hate them, though, I have gone through them several times. Well the other night I'm driving home from the bar and of course that means lots of do-dos on the road with me. I approach the circle and this douche nozzle behind me is trying to speed up to get in front of me (And of course theres a few other cars so hes going no where).

im in my precious new car and dont feel like this asshat raming me so i go THROUGH the circle...yes big ol mound of grass i drive onto it trying to avoid this dumb jerk.

car is ok, but, i seriously hate drivers who think theyre going to get to their destination 5 seconds quicker by cutting you off like that. (and im thankful it was flat grass and not a pole)

I've heard them called 'Round-A-Bouts' have only encountered 2 in my experience.

What I hate are 'Jug Handles.' See those alot in NJ.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Circles in NJ are the worst in the country, know why? Because as of the time i moved from there (7 or so years ago), while they'd been installed in the first half of the 20th century to control traffic (cheaper than traffic lights), no one bothered to write any traffic laws that specifically applied to them, the means everyone has the right of way.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

They are starting to put more of them in my neck of the woods too. They claim they're safer.

Comment

Rotaries/Circles/Roundabouts are the bane of my existance, I have to go through 3 to get to work and of course nobody knows how to drive them. I still wont forget the yahoo that missed his exit and swerved in front of me to make it, causing me to slam on my brakes and skid, it's a fing rotary, if you miss your exit you just go around again, how hard is that?

Comment

Australia has roundabouts just about on every corner these days

But the best one I ever drove thru was the Magic Roundabout in Swindon in the UK.

I found a couple of pics of them for you guys. The first time I went thru this I had no idea what I was doing. I just followed the car in front. The second time I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best.
            Attached Files
            "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
            "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
            "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post

But the best one I ever drove thru was the Magic Roundabout in Swindon in the UK.

I found a couple of pics of them for you guys. The first time I went thru this I had no idea what I was doing. I just followed the car in front. The second time I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best.

My favorite was my alternate route home from the cinemas. Approaching the rotary from one street, you would have to stop at a light for a cross street, about 50 feet before the rotary. Of course, most people assumed this meant they could ignore the yield sign for merging onto the rotary.

I used to annoy a lot of people behind me by, you know, yielding the faster (and often bigger: rotary was just off a highway exit) vehicles.
              Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

We don't have traffic circles in PA. Well, unless you count the massive *detours* courtesy of PennDOT, that is Seriously though, they never really caught on here. The only one I can think of, is at the entrance to South Park. Not sure why it's there...probably so people "cruising" Route 88 don't have to pull over and turn around
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Yield, what is this yield thing you mention?

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post

I found a couple of pics of them for you guys.
                    Is it wierd that I've never driven in a traffic circle, yet figured out how that worked by looking at the first picture? I may have played too many RPGs. Those circles-and-arrows made sense to me.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth tigerlily0
                      Here in Massachusetts we have them as well, but we call them "rotaries". Gah, I hate rotaries, too. Just an invitation for an accident.
                      i cant think of any ive seen in CT, but ive been in a few in MA, not fun lol

Comment

There's one roundabout right down the road from where I live, and a few here and there in some other towns......

It's really quite easy. Your standard roundabout, when entering, you yield to anyone coming AT you. If no one is coming, then go. Once you're in, you're in, and you don't have to yield to anyone anymore.

It's not that easy to the halfwits around here. Most of the time, they just join in without even looking...either ignoring the yield sign or thinking the can just plunge right on in.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post

wow that looks like a joke/photoshopped road it has so much going on

Comment

There's one right in Buffalo, and that one doesn't seem so bad, it's just fairly wide and you can get stuck if there are a lot of asshats and you have to drive a around a few times before you can get to the outer circle to get out. Also in one of the suburbs south of Buffalo, they've added 3? I think right on main street, which was really fucked up considering it was a major trucking route and now they have to find alternate ways for their semi's since theses are small round- a-bouts and they can't maneuver in them.

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
                              wow that looks like a joke/photoshopped road it has so much going on
                              If I had not driven it myself, I would agree. It does look fake. Thank goodness here in Oz they do not have any of those ones. Most drivers here dont know how to use a regular one

The UK have the right idea by painting them on the road rather than making an actual physical barrier, makes getting large vehicles thru them a lot easier.
                              "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                              "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                              "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Working...
                              X