This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Get a Tailgater to Back Off

Yesterday I went to visit some friends that live out of town, and didn't leave to come home until after 10pm. It takes about an hour and a half to get home from their place, and while it's 4-lane most of the way, it's through a rural area, so there isn't much traffic at that time of night.
    Anyway, about halfway home, a vehicle comes up behind me with their brights on and proceeds to tailgate for several miles. Even though it's four lane, I slowed down a bit to see if they would pass, but they didn't. Why they didn't just pass I don't know, but since it was just me and the little one, it kind of freaked me out. The next town was still a few miles away, so I did the only thing I could think of that I hoped would get the vehicle to back off. I'm a volunteer firefighter, and my vehicle is equipped with lights and a siren/PA. The PA has a mic similar that of a CB or law enforcement radio, and it hangs from my rearview mirror when not in use. So I grabbed it, and held it like I was talking to someone for a couple of minutes. I don't really know if the driver saw what I did or not, but they dimmed the lights and backed off pretty quickly. Thankfully, when I turned off onto another road, they didn't follow, and the remainder of my trip home was normal.

That's awesome.

Comment

My father was a driving instructor, and his tip for getting a tailgater to back off:

Slow down.

Make sure there's enough space between you and the car in front to cover for both of your reaction times - yours and the tailgater's - because you know he doesn't have enough for his.

And the process of keeping that space between you and the car in front is likely to annoy the tailgater enough that he'll actually overtake you - and be where you WANT him. In front of you, where you can keep an eye on him, and where YOU control the distance between you and him.

That said, I like your solution, firegirl!
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've been rear-ended 4 times by tailgaters! I hate tailgaters with a passion! Everyone always tells me to tap my brakes, but that doesn't do anything because they always seem to go right back to tailgating you.
        1 of my best friends found a good way to get a tailgater off your back.... he started swerving around a bit on the road (when there was no other traffic around), and lo and behold, the guy not only backed off, he turned off somewhere as soon as he could. He used this method several times and its worked every time. I know the risk involved if they happen to decide to call the police and report that you may be drunk or just driving reckless, but him and me and a few other friends have done this, and no one has done so yet. I personally think they just get the message after you do this.
        I got so fed up with tailgaters, I finally had enough 1 day. Me and another best friend were on a road trip and I was in the fast line going 80 in a 65 already because we wanted to get to our destination.
        This redneck in his big truck comes up and starts tailgating me. For some stupid reason the guy refused to get into the right lane and pass me. I did not want to pull over because I was passing alot of traffic. I slowed down and then sped up to put some distance between us, but he eventually caught up to us and began tailgating us again. After he would not back off, I decided to start playing games with him. I made it very clear I knew what he was doing and made sure he knew it. I even rolled down the window and rested my arm (my best friend thought I was going to flip him off and I probably should've), driving a little slower. Now you'd think he would just pass on the right, but no, this guy's a stupid redneck. After this went on for about 20 or 25 miles, we decided to stop and get something to eat. Thankfully he did not get off with us, and he was long gone.
        Ok, I know you guys will say why did I not just pull over to the right and let him pass. Well for once, I wanted to really annoy 1 of these stupid tailgaters, and I fnally got my opportunity Maybe I did the wrong thing, but this time I just could not help myself.
        Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 09-08-2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

heh, I remember the story the driving instructor at the drivers ed school I went to told the class how he had a car, where the reverse lights weren't switching with the gear shift, so he just wired in a toggle switch for it. this turned out to have a surprising benefit to his amuzement

If a Tailgater stuck close to him, he just flipped the switch, Reverse lights went on, and the tailgater backed off in fear.

Comment

WhiteWolf, I want to figure out how to do that to my car. Xd That's just fabulous.

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
              I've been rear-ended 4 times by tailgaters! I hate tailgaters with a passion! Everyone always tells me to tap my brakes, but that doesn't do anything because they always seem to go right back to tailgating you.
              1 of my best friends found a good way to get a tailgater off your back.... he started swerving around a bit on the road (when there was no other traffic around), and lo and behold, the guy not only backed off, he turned off somewhere as soon as he could. He used this method several times and its worked every time. I know the risk involved if they happen to decide to call the police and report that you may be drunk or just driving reckless, but him and me and a few other friends have done this, and no one has done so yet. I personally think they just get the message after you do this.
              I got so fed up with tailgaters, I finally had enough 1 day. Me and another best friend were on a road trip and I was in the fast line going 80 in a 65 already because we wanted to get to our destination.
              This redneck in his big truck comes up and starts tailgating me. For some stupid reason the guy refused to get into the right lane and pass me. I did not want to pull over because I was passing alot of traffic. I slowed down and then sped up to put some distance between us, but he eventually caught up to us and began tailgating us again. After he would not back off, I decided to start playing games with him. I made it very clear I knew what he was doing and made sure he knew it. I even rolled down the window and rested my arm (my best friend thought I was going to flip him off and I probably should've), driving a little slower. Now you'd think he would just pass on the right, but no, this guy's a stupid redneck. After this went on for about 20 or 25 miles, we decided to stop and get something to eat. Thankfully he did not get off with us, and he was long gone.
              Ok, I know you guys will say why did I not just pull over to the right and let him pass. Well for once, I wanted to really annoy 1 of these stupid tailgaters, and I fnally got my opportunity Maybe I did the wrong thing, but this time I just could not help myself.
              I'm all for annoying tailgaters (cuz I hate them with a passion) but if you had room to pull over to the right and let him pass I don't see why you didn't.

Cuz thats a pet peeve of mine. being stuck behind someone driving in the left (or the 'fast' lane) and this person is driving JUST at or UNDER the speed limit. (I always seem to get stuck behind these paticular people when they have decided to match teh speed of people in teh right lane so i CANNOT pass them).

It's great if grandma wants to enjoy the scenery. the rest of us who have more to do than wait around to die have stuff we need to do and cannot coast along at 20 all day! GET TO THE RIGHT.

and bowswer i see nwo you said there was traffic to the right so yea kudos for pissing off redneck tailgaters.
              Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
                Everyone always tells me to tap my brakes, but that doesn't do anything because they always seem to go right back to tailgating you.
                They expect people to tap the brakes. Don't. Instead, travel at a few kph (or a couple of mph) less than you otherwise would, for as long as it takes them to get bored and go around you.

Punish them for their misbehaviour, don't just annoy them.

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                Cuz thats a pet peeve of mine. being stuck behind someone driving in the left (or the 'fast' lane) and this person is driving JUST at or UNDER the speed limit.
                Excuse me?

You get peeved about people obeying the law and driving at a safe speed for the conditions?

No, Loki. You don't get to do that without repercussions. Roads are designed to be (reasonably) safe at the designated speed, under good visibility and road condition and with a well-maintained car and average-to-good driver ability.

Under poor conditions - bad lighting, rain-slick road - the safe speed drops. If the driver is tired or stressed, the safe speed drops.

If the problem is with driver or car, then yes, people should allow others to overtake, and should clear the overtaking lane. If the road conditions and/or visibility is poor, then they're fine being in the overtaking lane at their judgement of the safe speed.

However, you do NOT get to be annoyed at people driving at the safe speed limit as determined by the experts!

In my opinion, people who get pissed off at others for driving at the speed limit in the fast-lane are suicidal, homicidal, stupid, ignorant, or some combination of those.

I'll presume 'ignorant' in your case. Few people on this board are stupid, and I acknowledge that most dangerous drivers don't know that they're dangerous, or refuse to allow themselves to recognise the fact.

And yes, if this gets any more intense, it should probably be moved to Fratching.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

You get peeved about people obeying the law and driving at a safe speed for the conditions?
                  I get peeved when people are traveling in the passing (left) lane and moving slower than or at the same speed of the people in the travel (right) lane regardless of speed.

When it comes to tailgaters, the best thing you can do is just let them pass. If you're on a multi-lane road and they won't go around you then, move to another lane when safe to do so then move back. If on a single lane road, pull to the side if necessary so they can pass safely. Yes, it's not fair, and it's really annoying, but safety is the priority. Tapping breaks and things like that just increase the risk of being hit.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                    When it comes to tailgaters, the best thing you can do is just let them pass. If you're on a multi-lane road and they won't go around you then, move to another lane when safe to do so then move back. If on a single lane road, pull to the side if necessary so they can pass safely. Yes, it's not fair, and it's really annoying, but safety is the priority. Tapping breaks and things like that just increase the risk of being hit.
                    Why should someone who is going the speed limit on a single lane road pull over because someone has a burr up his ass. If it is safe to do so, they can pass. I assume that if they don't pass they are happy with going the speed that I am currently travelling at. On a multilane freeway, if I am in the right or middle lanes, I will not get over for a tailgater, they have the passing lane.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                      Why should someone who is going the speed limit on a single lane road pull over because someone has a burr up his ass. If it is safe to do so, they can pass. I assume that if they don't pass they are happy with going the speed that I am currently travelling at.
                      You're assuming they are able to pass (why I said "if necessary"). You can't always pass on a single lane road. Even if they can pass you and are not, it comes down to safety. If the person behind you is following much too closely, then the risk of an accident is much higher. In the interest of safety, you should pull to the side some to just let that person pass, particularly if that person is right on top of you.

On a multilane freeway, if I am in the right or middle lanes, I will not get over for a tailgater, they have the passing lane.
                      Same as above. If the person behind you is not driving in a safe manner, then you should make an effort to avoid that danger. If that means shifting a lane when you normally wouldn't, in order to let the person go by and avoid the person two inches from your rear bumper, then so be it. You don't want a person that's right on top of you to run into you should you have to slow down suddenly.

It comes down to what is "fair", right as per the rules of the road (i.e. left lane for passing), and what is safest. The three are not always in agreement, and safest should take priority.
                      Last edited by trunks2k; 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Having witnessed/stopped at a collision two hours ago that was entirely caused by one party travelling far too close to the other I can understand peoples frustration, however Seshat is entirely right; drop your speed (through non aggressive means) and let them pass you. I'd rather see an idiot infront of me than 6 feet off my rear bumper (fender).
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                          I get peeved when people are traveling in the passing (left) lane and moving slower than or at the same speed of the people in the travel (right) lane regardless of speed.
                          I won't change lanes dangerously, and I won't (knowingly) travel over the speed limit. If people are travelling too fast in the travel lane for me to change into it safely, and have me trapped in the passing lane, I'm bloody well staying there until it's safe to move back!

But my main objection is with people who think it's wrong of people to use the passing lane at the speed limit. Sorry folks, but the roads are designed for that to be the safe maximum speed. Deal with it.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            I won't change lanes dangerously, and I won't (knowingly) travel over the speed limit. If people are travelling too fast in the travel lane for me to change into it safely, and have me trapped in the passing lane, I'm bloody well staying there until it's safe to move back!
                            Of course. You shouldn't change lanes unless it's safe to do so.

Comment

I do nothing. I don't speed up and I don't slow down. I don't move either I just keep going the speed I'm going. The record for someone STILL tailgaiting me on an empty interstate at night is 14 miles. Srsly....
                              My Wajas cave

Comment

Working...
                              X