Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were making them yellow due to something like increased visibility or the like.

I haven't seen one of those in a while, though, so it may be that they've been red and school buses have been yellow for long enough that people got too confused over the change on the fire trucks.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
      Yellow fire engines???

That's just not natural. Fire engines should be red. Fire Engine Red. (sorry, I'm a fire engine aficionado. I also collect fire engine models)
      The fire engines in Irv's hometown were a bright yellowish-green for many years. They only recently went back to red fire engines.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
        "I drove past waving, and left the guy to explain how he missed a bright yellow** Firetruck"
        Doesn't sound like he missed it to me.

Quoth Spike Jones
        "And so we bid a fond farewell to the lovely island of Manicura, famous for its hangnails. As our boat pulls away from the shore, we hear the familiar cry of the natives. <gluggity glug glug glug? gluggity glug?> which means, `Come back, come back. We're bound to miss you. . .

. . . At this distance.'"

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
          Up here, the airport's fire dept. has yellow engines.

Same here, and they can pop wheelies
          and empty a 7000L tank in 7 secs - Ah the joys of a diesel V8 running the water pump
          "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
          Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
            Yellow fire engines???

That's just not natural. Fire engines should be red. Fire Engine Red. (sorry, I'm a fire engine aficionado. I also collect fire engine models)
            Our city's engines are whitish-silver with red accents.

But I agree. Fire trucks should be red.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              I remember when there was a wreck on the Interstate right next to the motel. I was watching the emergency vehicles trying to get through the snarled traffic. They got behind this lady in an SUV who simply would not pull over, despite laying on the horn! They ended up passing her on the shoulder!

Also, fun little fact: in America, you pull over to the right lane. In Canada, apparently, you pull over to the left lane. We learned this the hard way in Vancouver once, as we played Dances with Ambulances trying to figure out why we were the only ones pulling over to the right...
              You pull as far right as safely possible, if at an intersection (red light usually) you go into the intersection and to either side
              Otaku

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                Our city's engines are whitish-silver with red accents.

'Coz they're always rushin', right?

(gd&r)

Comment

On multilane roads I see people pulling over to both sides - thus giving the vehicle a 'path' that kind of straddles both lanes (This nmakes sense if both lanes can only pull to one side a few feet. That extra space on the line itself helps).

On a similar topic, I heard the Ctrain laying on the horn yesterday and i look up to see a guy staring down the train as it slows to a halt THREE FEET FROM HIM.

I still have no clue what he was thinking (or if) . The driver did NOT look happy. That was the train I had to board, and I heard the driver apologise to everyone and tell them to hit the HELP Button if they got hurt by him locking the train brakes. He sounded pretty rattled.
                  Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                    Same here, and they can pop wheelies
                    and empty a 7000L tank in 7 secs - Ah the joys of a diesel V8 running the water pump
                    This thread is useless without pics!

(Yeah, I don't have the smilies either )
                    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                      Of course they should. Red ones go faster, after all.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
                        If you think that's unnatural, one department here (Castle Shannon) has *dark green* fire trucks. They've had them for years. Let's see now, South Strabane (Washington County) had yellow trucks, but they're all red now. Other oddities include East Carnegie (blue and silver), Jefferson, PA (orange), and a few departments once had light green vehicles. But, if you really want odd...I've seen photos of purple ones!

With that said, I don't buy the "I didn't see it" line. Seriously, as large as those things are, with all the lights and sirens going...how could you *not* see it?
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Oh, I definitely believe the "didn't see it" line.

Some people are so self-absorbed, it'd have to hit them before they'd notice it was there.

^-.-^

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            Oh, I definitely believe the "didn't see it" line.

Some people are so self-absorbed, it'd have to hit them before they'd notice it was there.

^-.-^
                            You're optimistic. Some people I've seen wouldn't notice it after it hit them.

As for the colour scheme, if I recall correctly municipal firetrucks are yellow with the exception of pumper trucks, which are red. Rural trucks are red, regardless of their type.

(I think, don't quote me)
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Only once have I not been pulling off to the right when I heard sirens. I was in a left hand turn lane waiting for the light when I saw the truck. I figured my best bet (since you had a bunch of us sitting at a red light) was to sit and just let the guy through.

Thankfully where I live I haven't had a soul honk or not get out of the way for emergancy vehicles. Personally though I'd rather live where my brother does. People there pull over for funeral processions, you know showing respect for the dead instead of trying to squirm in so they can run red lights.
                              "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

That's one of the trucks for the fire company near me. Also, yellow, and then a green-pee yellow for 3 other Volunteer fire companies

Comment

Working...
                                X