This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Lady's guide to Earth driving

Just noticed this part of the site today, and I couldn't pass it up without sharing some delightful driving advice. I do not have a license - was not allowed to even get a permit in high school because that would put me that much closer to independence my mother did not want me to have. So now I've got one road test failure under my belt. My mother has been teaching me to drive because no one else I know has a car, has their own car, or has an automatic-shifting car.

How my mother ever got her license is way beyond me. Here are some of the things she has taught me (which I know are wrong and did not do during my road test) because this is how she drives:

1. Do not under any circumstances drive the speed limit ever. Her theory is that one can only get in trouble with either other drivers or the law for going too fast, but driving 10-15 miles under the speed limit is just fine and whoever doesn't like it can go suck on a shotgun barrel.

2. Slow down for people who do not have the right of way. For example, someone approaching from my right has a stop sign and I do not. I am to slow down for anyone approaching from my right because they just might run the stop sign and their very presence should make me nervous.

3a. When approaching a stop sign, begin using the brakes a few hundred feet before reaching the spot designated for stopped vehicles. Move at a 2-mph crawl up to the stop sign. Remain at stop sign longer than necessary because Mother cannot see oncoming traffic and by the time she feels she has satisfactorily checked for me, there is more traffic to wait for.

3b. Drive up over the crosswalk and slightly into traffic so she can see around shrubs, other cars, etc. It is irrelevant if I can see just fine.

4. Slam on the brakes at random.

5. Roadside gravel will destroy the tires. Scream a lot when tires come into contact with gravel.

6. Use hazard lights when parallel parking.

6a. Practice parallel parking around other people's cars. When owner of said car comes out of wherever they were to get in their car and asks what's going on, yell at them that I'm practicing (Mom yelled, not me).

7. Use turn signals a half-second before making the turn - can't have people thinking I might turn onto that dirt road prior to my turn.

8. Drive either in the middle of the road or on the center line because the closer you are to that center line, the better your driving will be. This is to ensure about five feet is between the car and any parked vehicles.

9. Left-turn lanes are optional (I use them; she does not).

10. When able to turn right on red, don't because it's too scary. Those people behind you beeping can go get bent.

11. Driving laws don't mean shit - all that matters is the car. Do everything illegal because there is apparently no collision insurance on this car (uhh, isn't collision protection something all forms of car insurance include?)

Would you believe she has not been in an accident yet? I hate driving like that, but I'm made to while in her car (if I don't listen, I get screamed at a lot, and this makes me super nervous). So for anyone who has had to deal with a super-slow driver of a black Subaru with PA plates, I apologize. I'm a better driver than that, I promise.

When I started learning how to drive, Mom was especially anal about some of the "driving rules" I was to obey. Some of them were similar to the ones your mother used, although once I got my license and as I got older and more experienced with driving, she stopped "side-seat driving" so much.

It's rare I'll be driving with her in shotgun these days, and whenever I'm driving a car that's not mine, I'm always more cautious anyway, so it's all good.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
      (uhh, isn't collision protection something all forms of car insurance include?)
      No. In most cases, collision insurance is optional. The generally expected level of insurance (depending on your location) is liability insurance. This means that if you are in an accident, you have insurance to cover repairs to the other vehicle, and medical coverage for yourself and anyone else involved. You want insurance to cover repairing your own vehicle if the accident was your fault? That's extra.

As for practicing parallel parking near real vehicles, that's how they did the driving test when I got my license. "Here's two cars parked on a real street, don't hit either of them."

Oh, and the cars were owned by the test administrators.....
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Actually, no. Quite a few vehicles have only liability insurance. If the vehicle gets totalled, the driver is screwed.

Comment

Don't feel too bad, I failed the first time as well. A lot of people do.

My dad had some really crazy rules when he was teaching me to drive. He kept teaching me out in the country and not in town, so I didn't really get real practice until behind the wheel in school. Without that, I'd just be a bumpkin like a bunch of other drivers I encounter daily.

My mom...oh she was a treasure when she was learning to drive. She didn't go for her license until she was in her early 40s. And she was terrified.

There are lots of places in this city where lanes merge in, but they create an extra lane, so there's no real need to worry about moving over. Any time Mom saw someone coming into the new lane, for the longest time, she'd hit the brakes and slow way down because she was so scared that person was going to barrel in and hit her. When I used to drive her around and we got to roads like that, she'd always grab onto her seat and breathe really heavy, bracing herself. Nothing ever happened.

Her lack of defensive driving caused her to fail multiple times. She kept screaming that they failed her for no reason, when it showed on her test that she constantly went way under the limit, yielded and slowed for people without the right of way, and once slammed the brakes at one of those extra lane/merge areas.

It was so hard to practice with her. Thankfully, she finally has learned to get over that fear. Be defensive, not paranoid.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

As mentioned before, no, and on an older vehicle such as mine it may not even be worth it.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If you have a loan on your car or a newer vehicle, you are required to have full coverage (at least in WI you do). I love full coverage. It's very expensive but it's piece of mind. Liability can really screw you over if your car is totalled.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My mother was also a so-so driver. My dad complained that when she went around a curve she would make it a series of short straight segments, not a smooth curved turn. Another time I was driving in the main road at about 45 mph (speed limit) and she was all antsy about it. Then there was the time she was in a wreck with our new car (1956 Chevy wagon). It must have totalled the car since we got another new one afterwards. She was mortified about it because when it was written up in the newspaper (does that happen any more?) they mentioned her age (39).
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                  As for practicing parallel parking near real vehicles, that's how they did the driving test when I got my license. "Here's two cars parked on a real street, don't hit either of them."

Oh, and the cars were owned by the test administrators.....
                  I had a CW who was discussing their road test. They had to "parallel park" and were given a empty parking lot and two cones to represent the cars. They cones were 35 feet apart. Somehow people failed that part of the test.

Comment

Here in WA state, we only have to have liability. I actually have collision for my car from a separate insurance company, since I'm required to have it for my paper route and the newspaper has an awesome group-discount collision policy. On my main policy, it's just liability for our vehicles ('cause they're really POS and just not worth it).

In other news, you mom's one paranoid driver.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

2. Slow down for people who do not have the right of way. For example, someone approaching from my right has a stop sign and I do not. I am to slow down for anyone approaching from my right because they just might run the stop sign and their very presence should make me nervous.
                      This one isn't actually all that bad, if you do it right. If I see someone approaching a stop sign to my right when I know they have a stop and I do not, I usually lay off the gas until I know they've fully stopped. I don't lay on the brakes, but I do slow down a little bit; people around here are notorious for not stopping at stop signs, especially in the neighborhoods (like where we live) where they think they're the only ones on the roads and stop signs, what are those? and holy crap, there's another car coming, I'd better stop halfway into the street I was turning on!

Comment

Clearly I have not yet driven my own car, as evidenced by what I don't know about insurance. I think my mother should have collision coverage, though, with how she drives.

And her braking unnecessarily when a car approaches on the right is not comforting when there is traffic behind her - I think that increases the chance of her being rear-ended. Overall, people here drive okay; my mother just makes generalizations because it's easier, like how everyone in Pittsburgh is a murderer and rapist, how everyone everywhere is a bad driver (except her, of course), how all people younger than her are bad drivers, how all police officers are assholes (even though she calls them several times a year when she locks the keys in the car)...you get the idea.

She is a very paranoid driver. One of the most interesting things she does is drive in the middle of the road (and sometimes a little into the left lane) and then yell at oncoming traffic to get on their own side of the road. And then she makes fun of her brother for driving in the middle of the road. Good times.

Comment

My parents were the exact opposite, and sometimes way too permissive (and they are dangerous lol). They would put me, and my siblings (one at a time of course) behind the wheel of a car..sitting on my dads lap and let us steer. By the time our heads could peek over the wheel, we were practicing driving with them in the passenger seat...

Yet I turned into one of the most cautious drivers I know (besides my mom, but that is another story).
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                            Actually, no. Quite a few vehicles have only liability insurance. If the vehicle gets totalled, the driver is screwed.
                            In New Mexico, we have to carry liability and uninsured motorist (for idiot reasons that I won't go into).

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                            I had a CW who was discussing their road test. They had to "parallel park" and were given a empty parking lot and two cones to represent the cars. They cones were 35 feet apart. Somehow people failed that part of the test.
                            I took driver's ed in high school. We weren't even taught how to parallel park. Mainly because at the time, there was no place in Las Cruces that even had parallel parking. The closest was out in Mesilla and on the Horseshoe out at the university.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I took driver's ed in high school, just before they stopped offering it.

We didn't really do parallel parking so much as parking at a curb, and we had to back along the curb as well.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X