X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy shit!!

I still can't believe this.

On my way home tonight, I was on I-93 northbound approaching the interchange with I-495 in Andover, MA.

Just as I passed the ramp to get onto 495 north, I saw a black shape flitting from right to left.

A guy wearing ALL BLACK was sprinting across the interstate, with trafifc whizzing by at 60 mph.

Miraculously, he made it to the median unscathed.

I am utterly amazed that I did not end up witnessing a messy fatal accident. Talk about "Red Asphalt?" Jesus Christ!

Just witnessing that gave me an adrenaline aftershock.

Wow.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Not on the freeway, but that is sadly common around here. Just a few weeks ago I was driving home on a residential road with no sidewalks and few lights, it was night and rainy. Suddenly a shadow in front of me moves and I realize that a man was walking on the street in all black/grey. Scared the hell out of me and he ended up gesturing quite emphatically and rudely.

Why is it the only people I see wear light or reflective clothes and carry lights are already on a sidewalk in a well lit area?!

Comment

People walk along raised vehicle-only bridges here all the time, which is illegal 'round these parts; and they run across the interstate, which is illegal pretty much everywhere >_> I have even seen cases where people will tear up the barrier fencing designed to keep pedestrians off of the 6-lane highway just so they can dart across whilst dodging a pack of 70mph cars x.x
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Did he WANT to die????
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I've done that before...I had to cross a busy highway to get to the bus stop and there was no light or crosswalk in sight. It was about 10 at night and it took me a while to get across the road because I had to wait for a break in traffic, run across, stand on the median, then run across the other lane.

But I also had to make sure I had ample time to get across so I didn't cause any accidents since I knew no one would be able to see me unless they were right on top of me. I think there were lights along the highway that allowed breaks in traffic, but I didn't feel like walking to them since it's actually harder to cross the highway at a light than in the middle of the road, it seems.

Comment

I've long since lost track of how many close shaves I've had with idiots walking in the road wearing nothing but black or shades of dark clothing. Considering my shifts mean I'll almost always be driving to or from work in the dark, I quickly ran out of room on the car to mark them off WWII-bomber-style.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

There was a fatal accident involving a pedestrian wearing dark clothing, crossing the street where there is no crosswalk, at night, on a poorly lit street.

Police did their investigation, and found that the pedestrian was at fault due to their overall stupidity on wearing black at night.

Comment

A couple months ago, I was going to work at 'hollycrapitsearlyAM', and came across a person in all dark colors.. The only way I saw this person in my headlites was because they happened to be walking a small white dog at the time.. If it wasn't for the dog, I would've have seen them until I was on top of them.
                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

I drive night shifts, and go through a kind of ghetto area on each trip. May have mentioned this before, now that I think about it. But I CONSTANTLY have to dodge darker-skinned folks wearing dark colors that are just lazily meandering halfway into the traffic lane, or else RIGHT on the white line on the shoulder. Then look at me like I'm the idiot for almost hitting them.

Even better when they're riding horses. Yes, horses. Down the highway. One of our trucks actually DID hit a horse once, but it was on day shift.

Comment

on the road a couple of days ago i saw a man and woman standing there in the middle turn lane as if they were waiting for a bus, holding shopping bags. with a car right behind them trying to make a turn

Comment

One night en route to my favorite Denny's, I was crossing a highway bridge (Google Map it: 35°35'26"N 82°34'19"W) and had to swerve because someone dressed all in black was dancing in the center lane.

If you take a look, you can see that the bridge is a restricted access bridge, which means the person in black had to put a real effort into getting onto it in the first place, and then they had a long walk to get to the middle lane in the middle part of the bridge. However, from the way they were jumping around and spinning, they seemed deliriously happy about something or other. Either that or coked up on God knows what. Either way, I didn't have a cell phone at the time and couldn't call it in, but it definitely made an impression on me.
                      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

This happens more often than it should on a curve on I-25 over in the UNM/Sunport area. Would it suprise anyone that the idiot is always drunk?

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                        I think there were lights along the highway that allowed breaks in traffic, but I didn't feel like walking to them since it's actually harder to cross the highway at a light than in the middle of the road, it seems.
                        Traffic lights on a highway? I've never seen that before.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Traffic lights on a highway? I've never seen that before.
                          I have seen them on Highways. just not on Interstates ^_^
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We have a lot of highways that suddenly go through towns and so those sections have traffic lights and typically a slightly lower speed limit (not that going from 65 down to 55 will really do all that much good).

Comment

my first (ex) boyfriend did that. ... granted the pizza delivery guy WAS speeding - 70ish in a 25 zone *WTF* - but I'm sure wearing a black duster in the dark didn't help his visibility either.

Comment

Working...
                              X