X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    I have seen them on Highways. just not on Interstates ^_^
    Ooooooh, I get it. We've got highways that go through, just nobody calls them highway blah. They've also got street names. Like NM 528 through ABQ is Alameda, then in Rio Rancho, it's Rio Rancho Blvd. NM 448 is Coors in ABQ and then turns into Corrales in Corrales.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

We have a "Mountain Highway" that also has a U.S. Route designation number -- and it has plenty of lights, although after the first four or five miles of "highway" designation, the traffic lights become more and more spaced out as pockets of houses and such become further apart.

Comment

Exactly. ^_^

I think the official terminology is something like this:

Interstate : in the form I-## (1?-2 digits). Even numbers run E-W, odds run N-S. Crosses a state line at some point. Seldom, if ever, have lights.

Intrastate : always in the form I-### (3 digits). Indicates a loop (I-285 in Atlanta) or a spur (used to as a bypass, often connecting one part of an Interstate to another part of the same interstate; I-610 in new Orleans) that does NOT ever cross a state border. Seldom, if ever, have lights. Usually referred to as "Interstates" anyway.

Federal highways, state highways, Routes, etc: Prefixes vary, Hwy, *state abbreviation*, etc -- Non-Federal ones normally either do not cross state lines or change names at the border. These can, and often do, have lights. Major roads, and even smaller ones, in cities are often Highways that have been given "normal" names in addition to the official name.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Once, during drivers ed my teacher tried to tell me I-140 (Pellissippi Parkway-goes from Oak Ridge to Alcoa if I remember correctly) was I-40. I tried to correct him but he was less then happy being corrected and maintained he was right.

(I used to drive Pellissippi Parkway all summer long. My family lived in Knoxville but owned a shop in Maryville. That was my first job. )
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Intrastate : always in the form I-### (3 digits). Indicates a loop (I-285 in Atlanta) or a spur (used to as a bypass, often connecting one part of an Interstate to another part of the same interstate; I-610 in new Orleans) that does NOT ever cross a state border. Seldom, if ever, have lights. Usually referred to as "Interstates" anyway.
            Not always true. Cincinatti has the I-275 loop bypassing I-75 through the city. It loops through Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Not always true. Cincinatti has the I-275 loop bypassing I-75 through the city. It loops through Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
              Likewise, there's I-495, the "Capital Beltway" which loops around DC, through Maryland and Virginia.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                Likewise, there's I-495, the "Capital Beltway" which loops around DC, through Maryland and Virginia.
                I've been on I-495 at 8 AM. That's not a freeway, that's a parking lot.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  I've been on I-495 at 8 AM. That's not a freeway, that's a parking lot.
                  Never called it a freeway. I just noted that it is an I-(three number) "road" that is an Interstate, not an Intrastate.

And yes, in the mornings, the Beltway does indeed become a parking lot, and it can bork up traffic throughout the entire metropolitan area.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Ahhh. Okie then -- Assume my post to have been edited, cuz I don't feel like actually doing so 8p

The main difference between the two is that an INTERstate crosses state lines, while an INTRAstate does not. They are both generally referred to as the former, however.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You get stupid people everywhere, just look at the Darwin awards >clicky<. There was someone in one of the local towns round here a year or two ago that walked out in front of a fire engine on blue lights and sirens and was killed pretty much instantly*.

Fire engine was running a red light as high speed in the middle of the town, the pedestrian got the green light to walk but was wearing headphones and didn't look left/right and literally stepped out 2 feet in front of the engine. It was ruled no fault the the side of the Fire Brigade / Driver.
                      Not y3k compatible

Comment

what a weirdo. the fact that he was wearing all black makes me think he was running from a crime or something. Weird, but I've never seen that happen in a 60 mph zone. I've seen it in a 55 mph tho.
                        Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                        The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                          what a weirdo. the fact that he was wearing all black makes me think he was running from a crime or something. Weird, but I've never seen that happen in a 60 mph zone. I've seen it in a 55 mph tho.
                          Or drunk. We get people making ill-advised road crossing attempts both in the cities and out in the boondocks....which is 80% of the state. They're almost always drunk and/or high.

I almost hit someone a while back. Same thing, sauntering across the road, wearing dark colors, long after sunset. The only reason I saw him was a flash of the white t-shirt under the dark jacket. What really griped me is that he was maybe about 15 feet from a signaled intersection. Too flippin' lazy to walk that far, I guess.
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Amadan View Post
                            You get stupid people everywhere, just look at the Darwin awards >clicky<. There was someone in one of the local towns round here a year or two ago that walked out in front of a fire engine on blue lights and sirens and was killed pretty much instantly*.
                            I was on my way to work one morning, and some idiot got hit by an Amtrak train Seems the guy was on the tracks, had his iPod going...and didn't hear the horns. I have tracks (Norfolk Southern and CSX) 5 and 10 miles from home...yet I can hear them. How the hell he couldn't hear the constant blast of horns, plus get the vibration from the locomotive bearing down on him, I don't know. Killed instantly.

But, we get the idiots-in-dark-clothing at night. Seems to be a *growing* phenomenon. Every damn night, I have at least one idiot run out in front of me. Seriously? Even though I drive a little Corolla...it's heavy enough that it'll land you in the hospital in short order.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Saw a guy doing that at midnight as I was going to work; walking across the 4-lane street at my left hand turn. No streetlights in that section. A dark-complected Gentleman wearing all black. All I could see was a Cheshire Cat smile floating in the road and stopped until he crossed. Makes me wonder if he was TRYING to get hit, because traffic in that area is crazy!
                              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                                I was on my way to work one morning, and some idiot got hit by an Amtrak train Seems the guy was on the tracks, had his iPod going...and didn't hear the horns. I have tracks (Norfolk Southern and CSX) 5 and 10 miles from home...yet I can hear them. How the hell he couldn't hear the constant blast of horns, plus get the vibration from the locomotive bearing down on him, I don't know. Killed instantly.
                                Not so sure he didn't hear him; people have used railroads to commit suicide before. I guess it depends on whether he was crossing the tracks, in which case it boils down to what Bujold called "death by stupidity", or walking along them, which would point to a deliberate act.

Which isn't fair to the train crew. You wanna off yourself, go do it in private, or get one of your friends to help you. Don't involve an innocent party, who has to live with it for the rest of his life.

(OK, I suppose it could also point to a higher level of stupidity, but it boils down to the same thing in the end.)

Comment

Working...
                                X