This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pixilated View Post
    Er ... guilty ... *koff* I figure it keeps the tailgaters well back ...
    Hee hee--me, too.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I've *heard* of these laws about obstruction of view and needing your headlights on at night.

But then again, every white or silver car on the road (save for my silver one) is rolling around at dusk with lights still off. I've said it before and I'll say it again, auto lights were probably invented because people were too stupid to remember to turn them on themselves when they needed to.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
        auto lights were probably invented because people were too stupid to remember to turn them on themselves when they needed to.
        Agreed.

Besides, when it's raining or foggy during the day, in particular, your lights are supposed to be on more so others can see YOU
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Even the weather guy gets his man panties in a bundle.

He'll be doing the foreceast, and up until recently, it was the god awful time of year when it was dark well before 5 pm, and he would be showcasing what outside the station looked like as far as road conditions, and he'd point at cars without their lights on and say "Turn on your lights!"
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            and he'd point at cars without their lights on and say "Turn on your lights!"
            Oh that's awesome ^_^

I can see some of out older meteorologists here (as in, in the job for over half of their natural lives and well past "retirement" age) doing that
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Mount a snowblower on a man-lift that can reach the top of the trailer. You should be able to clear loose snow fairly easily. Maybe an ice breaker on a reach pole for large amounts of ice?
              All well and good for a yard (either trucking company or customer with a lot of dropped trailers), and they frequently have snow removal equipment. The trouble is if you have to overnight at a truck stop, rest area, or "couple loads a day" customer, and it snows there. The equipment you mention is to heavy/bulky to be carried in the truck.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                All well and good for a yard (either trucking company or customer with a lot of dropped trailers), and they frequently have snow removal equipment. The trouble is if you have to overnight at a truck stop, rest area, or "couple loads a day" customer, and it snows there. The equipment you mention is to heavy/bulky to be carried in the truck.
                Fair enough, though I was just throwing out a quickie idea. Full-on solutions require money to produce.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I have to wonder, for areas where there's a lot of snowfall, why not put a tarp over the car when it's expected and just drag/roll it off the next day?

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    I have to wonder, for areas where there's a lot of snowfall, why not put a tarp over the car when it's expected and just drag/roll it off the next day?
                    OH OH OH! You just reminded me of WTF moment that I'd been meaning to post but forgot about until just now. One of my neighbors has a car cover for his pickup. When we got his with snow...every day he cleaned off the car cover over where the windshield was. At first, I was thinking why don't you just take it off and shake the snow off? But...he never drove the car. I couldn't figure out what the point of it was...he was just cleaning off the windshield area....on the car cover....never taking the cover off or driving the car...but he'd be damned if snow got on the windshield even with the cover on!
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

^-.-^
                      If it's very much of a snowfall: Weight!

If it started slushy and froze... giant ice cube.

Also, having to get up close and personal rasslin' with a covered cover versus standing back and swiping at the snow with a broom?
                      Last edited by dalesys; 02-04-2012, 10:41 AM.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Also, lack of a place to store said tarp after you pull it off the car. I have to park across a grassy quad, and if I would drag it back to the apartment, I don't think dragging a snowy or icy tarp into the apartment to melt would endear me to the roomie, the cat, the downstairs neighbor, or the landlord.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Weight would be the main reason. Any non trivial amount of snow is HEAVY. And if it's anywhere near the freezing point, the tarp would probably freeze to the car, making it almost impossible to get off without wrecking the paint. If you don't place the tarp properly you may not even be able to safely turn the vehicle on to start melting it.

Comment

If you think that's bad, watch out for the snow-covered semi-trucks.

Driving west across the country for Christmas in 2007, I was somewhere east of Indianapolis when a semi-truck, double-trailer rig in the other lane was changing lanes going at 65 miles an hour, and this big sheet of snow came peeling off the roof and it was as large as an SUV. It broke in half going through the air and one half smashed into the front of a Toyota Camry behind it and the other piece hit the asphalt of the freeway and disintegrated, spraying snow pieces over my windshield. The Toyota driver seemed to do okay with this though. Thank God he didn't lose control!

Comment

Working...
                            X