This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't get run over

As I've mentioned before, I work the graveyard freight shift in a very large, very busy grocery store, the name of which you probably wouldn't recognize unless you live in this part of the country and shop there. Because of the high sales volume we do, we have to do things a little differently than most grocery stores in order to get our shelves restocked at night. As the freight crew clocks in, we begin by hauling several dozen (or more) large pallets of grocery stock, numbering in the thousands of cases, onto the center aisle that runs from the front of the store to the back (using both manual and electric pallet jacks), downstacking those pallets, and moving them with hand-trucks onto their aisles so that we can then throw them to the shelf later on. We also drive multiple forklifts on the grocery floor at night, as we store a significant amount of back-stock in steel rafters on the grocery floor which has to be lowered to be downstacked and worked.

As you can imagine, this produces an environment which is (at least for the hour or so that the downstacking-and-wheeling process takes) extremely crowded and fast-paced. And since we're a 24 hour store it means we've got to work around customers doing their shopping, especially at this time of year when it doesn't get dark until after 10 PM and a lot of families wait until after it's dark to do their shopping.

We get a lot of training in regards to being aware of our surroundings, whether we're downstacking, pulling a pallet jack, or driving the forklift, so that we don't accidentally injure a customer or a co-worker, and AFAIK we've only had one freight-related customer injury in the 5+ years since this location opened.

The close calls, though... we get several a night, and it's almost always because a customer isn't looking in the direction they're walking. I've had customers abruptly turn directly towards the pallet I'm pulling while they stare at their phone. I've been wheeling a stack of product while a customer is facing away from me, standing still and talking to another customer, who then turns around and walks directly towards me while still making eye contact with their friend. I've had to hit the emergency brake on the forklift more than once because a young child darted right in front of the thing (which is ten feet tall, weighs as much as three full-size sedans, and makes a "truck-backing-up" noise you'd have to be clinically deaf not to notice) while staring in a different direction. On one occasion, I watched a customer run his cart directly into a stationary pallet because he was staring down at his shopping list.

I don't wish ill will to any of our customers. They're the reason I have a job. All I ask is that they exhibit at least some sense of self-preservation. It's not as if you can show up at this store at this time of night and not notice the dozens of uniformed people hurriedly moving hundreds of tons of stuff around. Open your eyes and pay attention, please. Do not step blindly into traffic as if throwing yourself before the wheels of the juggernaut. Would you act this reckless while driving down the freeway? (Sadly, some of them probably do, which is why we have so many traffic fatalities every year.)

Our forklifts can go from full speed (just shy of 3 MPH) to a complete stop within less than a meter when the driver applies the brake. But I just know that someday, at one of our locations somewhere, someone's foot is gonna get crushed because they were trying to catch 'em all and stepped right in front of the wheel so fast that the driver didn't have time to see them, react, and hit the brake.

I just hope our security cameras are good enough to defend us when that person goes to court and tries to claim their crushed tootsies are our fault.

What with Pokémon Go out, be prepared for this to happen way more often. I can only assume that's what you were referencing in the second to last paragraph.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised your store doesn't require a spotter to block off customers approaching around the forklift. Especially since bringing down heavy freight from on high will be catastrophic to anyone getting in the way.

I'm glad there haven't been any serious injuries. Speaking as one who actively walks into objects that I SEE (curse you damn doorknobs!), it must be a constant struggle not to squish anyone.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I tend to believe physics when it tells me big hard object (forklift ie) plus little soft object (me) equals squished. Therefore, I try to pay attention to my surroundings. That and my ongoing theory that people are stupid keeps proving to be true.

@bainsidhe I agree! Curse those damn doorknobs! They are always running into my hipbones. I am short but all legs putting my hips at the wrong height dammnit.

Favorite quote: "I'm not clumsy! The floor just hates me, the table and chairs are bullies, and the walls get in my way. " Just need to insert doorknobs in there somewhere.

Comment

I managed to ride my bike into a parked car once, and i bump into objects in my apartment more often than my blind doggie does. On behalf of all of us with depth perception issues, I apologize.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I'm like that, too. If I'm standing in front of a featureless wall, I honestly can't tell if I'm an inch away or three yards away. I compensate for this when I'm driving by leaving as much space between me and other cars as possible, which isn't always possible in Portland traffic, and always checking my mirrors. If I was in a store at night and I saw that there was freight being unloaded I'd watch where I was going and pay attention. Sure, I've tripped over air and been attacked by chairs and had doors try to mug me, and once I face-planted on the kitchen floor because I didn't clean up spilled dish soap all the way (surprised I didn't break my glasses).

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              I'm a bit surprised your store doesn't require a spotter to block off customers approaching around the forklift.
              We do during daytime hours (8 AM to 10 PM, more or less), but we barely ever bring the lift on the floor in the daytime anyway.

From what I've been told, the amount of late-evening business our specific store gets is pretty much unheard of in the rest of the company, so it's probably not as big a problem elsewhere as it is for us.

Comment

Quoth pudddykat View Post

@bainsidhe I agree! Curse those damn doorknobs! They are always running into my hipbones. I am short but all legs putting my hips at the wrong height dammnit.

Favorite quote: "I'm not clumsy! The floor just hates me, the table and chairs are bullies, and the walls get in my way. " Just need to insert doorknobs in there somewhere.
                I'm more torso so doorknobs hit me around the ribs. It hurts..... I'm clumsy enough to have fallen down a cliff and trip standing still on a flat surface.

Comment

@slicey I have been know to turn a corner screech to a halt an inch from a wall and say "Wall!". I have also managed to wack my hand/wrist on walls/doors walking past. Ouch. More recently I went to switch my bedroom light off and then for some reason attempted to walk through the dresser to the bathroom. Ouch. Not long after that my dad turned the light off before he went upstairs and face planted into the wall. Last week my boss tripped of the black octagon base of a parking sign and broke her eh well foot. When the ortho says too many fractures to count...not a good sign. Two days after that both my parents tripped up the front stairs. Dad started it by tripping into mom who tripped. His glasses went flying and she nearly peed herself laughing. Oy. In other words we are not alone.

Comment

Quoth pudddykat View Post
                    @slicey I have been know to turn a corner screech to a halt an inch from a wall and say "Wall!".
                    Not to make it sound like I'm one-uping because I can't I've never really broken a bone, but I severely damaged my wrist, forever leaving me with a weakened grip, occasional numbness in 3 fingers and occasional pain, due to me knocking over a clipboard.

I knocked into it sitting on a pony wall, instinctively tried to catch it before it fell to the ground, slammed my wrist into the lip of that very pony wall (it had a little counter on it) and immediately couldn't move my fingers and had radiating intense pain. This was because the impact caused micro fractures all along the bones of my wrist, damaging the nerves and tearing of ligaments and tendons. the fact I haven't had to have surgery is amazing.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                      Not to make it sound like I'm one-uping because I can't I've never really broken a bone, but I severely damaged my wrist, forever leaving me with a weakened grip, occasional numbness in 3 fingers and occasional pain, due to me knocking over a clipboard.

I knocked into it sitting on a pony wall, instinctively tried to catch it before it fell to the ground, slammed my wrist into the lip of that very pony wall (it had a little counter on it) and immediately couldn't move my fingers and had radiating intense pain. This was because the impact caused micro fractures all along the bones of my wrist, damaging the nerves and tearing of ligaments and tendons. the fact I haven't had to have surgery is amazing.
                      With those symptoms, maybe you SHOULD have had surgery! And perhaps still should.

Comment

Working...
                      X