This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More BOGO insanity

I know I've posted before about the way our BOGO/quantity sales work (discount doesn't show until the very end as the system needs to know the needed quantity was in fact purchased), but this one takes the taco.

Berries are commonly BOGO in the summer. Usually all I have to do when called for 'assistance' (how much of my--and customers with actual problems--time is wasted with that, I wonder) is say "It will come off at the very end" while pointing to the posted sign and all's well. These two, however....oy.

Of course it was insane yesterday; lines in the aisles, and one SCO being down didn't help. I was originally supposed to cashier, but the person who was supposed to be on SCO realizes that I'm better suited to that in times of chaos (I actually enjoy the troubleshooting and triaging) than she is.

While I'm dealing with an actual problem, CW grabs my sleeve and says "They need help on 9". Light isn't flashing and SC is doing the staring thing, but since CW grabbed me I have no choice but to go over even though I know exactly what the 'problem' is.

SCD--SC daughter
    SCM: SC mom

SCD: "We bought berries and we should get one free."
    I also see that SCD only scanned one of the berries.
    Me: "They are. The sale will come off at the end, but you need to scan both."
    SCD: "I did scan both but one came off and it said Credit $3.99." (because she didn't put the second one on the belt, so it was deleted from the order) "That means it took the sale off, right?"
    Me: "It will take it off at the end, but you need to scan both. That's how the system works."
    SCM: "No we don't. Can you take it off?"
    Me: "Scan both, then go all the way to the end where you select payment and it will take it off."
    SCD scans the second box again and holds it; because this is the third time something was scanned and not put on the belt, now the system locks up and wants me to intervene. "No, it already took it off. See?" (in the 'you stupid cashier' tone that makes me want to bite someone)
    Me: "Two need to be scanned in for it to take the sale off. There's only one here."
    SCM: "Because it took the second one off." (said as if I'm a toddler who can't do math)
    Me: "It took the second one off because it wasn't put on the belt. You need to scan BOTH and put BOTH on the belt."
    SCD: "No I don't."
    SCM: "Are you sure it will work?"
    Me: "Yes, I'm sure."
    SCM: Well, okay, if you say so..." ('I don't believe you" tone with hints of "you don't understand math") I understand math fine, I just refuse to understand your math.
    I scan the second box of berries and physically follow it down the belt so SCD can't remove it again.
    SCD flips out again. I tell her once more that she needs to hit Finish and Continue and "S, the BOGO berry sale isn't working properly. I need to help other customers; you take over here."
    I don't want any shenanigans attached to my name or card and if I spend any more brain cells on these harpies insulting my intelligence I will go off on someone.

I didn't see the aftermath, but I suspect everything went the way I said it would...but I wouldn't be surprised if S tried to make me look bad.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I mustes haz my instant grabassiffictation riot naow!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'm betting they thought since it was busy I would just say "sure, take it". HahaNO. I actually give a crap about inventory/shrink.

Comment

A bit off topic but I'm just wondering, is it really common for SCOs to have belts? The only place I can think of which has a belt at the SCO is Costco. Not at the store in my town, though, because it doesn't even have SCOs. Anyway, all the stores that I can think of just have a metal scale. Like this.

One of the most basic things about SCOs is the scale. You scan an item and put it on the scale. Why is this beyond many people? Like the couple I saw with a FULL CART who were trying to put their items directly back into the cart. Also, I love how the lady was arguing. Too bad you had to go over to help them, it's wonderfully satisfying to ignore someone who is too stubborn to ask for help.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Most of them at my company (that I know of) have belts; the ones at my store are older and have longer ones than is standard--they upgraded the software and screens, but couldn't actually replace the other half of the problem. I wish we just had platforms/carousels as the belt just seems to encourage the problems (both in SCs coming through with a cart-full and the assorted issues with people scanning stuff and not putting it on the belt).

The belts make everything harder here because it's not easy to see if someone scans something and then carries it around*; only if that happens a certain number of times does the system alert me. With the platforms it's instantaneous (weight doesn't match right away? Lock up and call person)

When it's as busy as it was yesterday I can get away with ignoring the starers (unless a 'helpful' CW sticks their nose in things). When it's quiet, not so much

* You can only see all the scanners/belts simultaneously from a very specific vantage point at the front, and I found out today that D has reinstated the stupid red line on the floor which means SCO attendants can't be anywhere near the desk...which is where said vantage point is.
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-01-2016, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X