X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your handwriting as a font!

This is very, very cool!

https://hackaday.com/2015/10/31/your...now-your-font/
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

My own handwriting as a font. That is, quite frankly, a terrifying thought. In the past, it has been unfavorably compared to chicken scratch. More than one person has taken a page of my writing, held it up the light, and then flipped it over and rotated it 180 degrees in their futile quest to decipher my scribbles. o_O

I may have to do this, even if for no better reason than to fuck with people. Especially with an old friend of mine who is so into font esoterica that he has designed some of his own.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      My own handwriting as a font. That is, quite frankly, a terrifying thought...
      Champoillion and Ventris fled, gibbering...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'm currently at work, so I don't have the means by which to make use of this yet, but I'll scope it out, and it might be fun to experiment with.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Fair warning -- Despite the instructions saying to keep your markings within the inner bounding boxes (so they won't get cut off), several of their own guide letters go past the bounding boxes x.x
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Funny thing is, I found out about this because I asked a friend/colleague of mine if I should hand-write or type a letter to my representative...

So I just have to print the thing out and scan it...

Comment

Yeah. The boxes do feel a bit small -- but then I have big hands and I my personal orthography comes out larger than most folks' do. Also, they ask that you use a black Sharpie or something equivalent.

I'm on my 5th page cuz I keep going outside of the bounding lines. I'm gonna have to just paste rows from multiple sheets together or something. Note that the second-from-bottom line is the "baseline", i.e., the "bottom" of most letters. They want you to draw yours smaller than what their examples show.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                My own handwriting as a font. That is, quite frankly, a terrifying thought. In the past, it has been unfavorably compared to chicken scratch. More than one person has taken a page of my writing, held it up the light, and then flipped it over and rotated it 180 degrees in their futile quest to decipher my scribbles. o_O
                And I wonder why I kept failing penmanship back in grade school 40 45 years ago?????? Chicken scratch has nothing in my scrawl and weird letter shapes and funky letter combos.

Anyone remember taking short hand dictation classes back then? Relevant link to short hand primer

Well my printing/cursive was something like that known only to me and IF you were to present me my writing from decades ago I would most likely NOT be able to read all of it today.

and I wonder why I was glad when the PC/computer age hit in the late 1970's????? (hint word processors BIG TIME yes I hated manual typewriters also)
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I had penmanship classes, too, but only in maybe 2nd/3rd grade. They didn't take To this day, I use manuscript/"print" (save for lowercase L) simply because even *I* can't make much sense of my cursive, unless I really slow way down, to the point where it's not efficient to write that way.

Never had a shorthand class, but I made up an ersatz shorthand of my own in order to keep up with my History teachers in high school. One, in particular, was one of those "Starts writing as soon as class begins/doesn't stop until the bell rings" types. Tough class, in part because she was not inclined to allow discussion/questions (because it would take away from her writing time -- she usually filled at least 6 chalkboards with notes per class as she droned on; sometimes more. 2 or more boards on each of 3 of the classroom's walls o_O).

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    Anyone remember taking short hand dictation classes back then? Relevant link to short hand primer
                    No. Of course, I was in elementary school in the 1980's.

Though recently I have kinda wanted to start learning some Pittman 2000 Shorthand. I have a book on it, just have to take the time to learn and practice.

Comment

My handwriting is simplistic and rounded; chances are, it's already a font. XD
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

My normal writing is like a horror story. If I go slow and don't run out of patience, it's okay, but not good enough to use as a font.
                        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                        X