Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Ears Are Offensive! (long) (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ears Are Offensive! (long) (language)

I have stretched ears. Currently, they are sitting at 7/8 of an inch, which, to most people, is a fair size and easily noticeable. I have had my ears stretched like this for eleven, going on twelve, years. I had them stretched before I even started working, and way longer before I started working in a customer service job. They have never prevented me from getting a job, aside from, "Can you put solid plugs in, rather than have a gaping hole?" which is a reasonable request, and one that I can certainly grant.

However, times are changing, tattoos and piercings are becoming more common, and three of my coworkers have visible tattoos, and four of us have nostril piercings. It also seems to be the case that people are getting offended by them. I have been told to cover up my tattoos, take out my piercings, and sew my ears shut by a few of my more charming customers. I've got two little stories here that I think you lot might like:

Woman comes up to the counter, budges in front of a regular customer, and slams her stuff down on the counter. My GM looks over at her, his gaze turns to me, and he raises his eyebrows as if to say, "PLEASE don't say anything stupid.".

Me: Hi, welcome to (place).
    SC: Yeah, whatever, I want this and this and smokes and lotto and blah blah blah...
    Me (gets all her stuff): There you are, is there anything else I can help you with?
    SC: *pauses, stares at my ears, and gets mega catbutt face going* OMFG WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?
    Me: Excuse me? (at this point, I think her meds have worn off)
    SC: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR EARS!? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THEM!? HOW THE FUCK HAS ANYONE LET YOU INTO A CUSTOMER BASED SERVICE WITH THOSE UGLY THINGS IN YOUR EARS!?

I'm at a loss for words, but I'm carefully formulating a response in my head when my GM comes over, puts his hand on my shoulder, and moves me over to one side. He then puts his hands down on the counter, and leans closer to the woman. Now I know that shit is going to go down.

GM: Ma'am, I understand that you don't like my employee's jewelry, but it does not give you the right to insult her, or belittle her, based on what she's got going on.
    SC: She shouldn't be here with that stupid shit in her ears! How the hell did she get hired!?
    GM: She was hired because she's a good worker, with a good personality, and she's had those things for over a decade. Now, your stuff is going to be put away, and you are going to leave the store. I never want to see you in here again.
    SC: *flies into a massive rage, freaking right out about all kinds of shit*
    GM: I'll say it again: Get. The. Fuck. Out. Of. My. Store.

She leaves, but not before taking down everyone's names, grabbing corporate's number, and insulting me one more time.

GM: *looks over at me* I really do hate those things in your ears.
    Me: Yeah I know, but you love me anyways.
    GM: I wouldn't go that far, but I can tolerate you at least.

He does make me smile, and he is a fantastic boss, one of the best that I've ever had. The second part of this is when I had a trucker in. He was a filthy pig of a man, and made all sorts of lewd comments towards myself and my other two coworkers. The boss is filling up his coffee when this exchange happens:

SC: Hey! Nice ass! You ever do anything freaky with those ear holes of yours?
    Me: Yeah, and you might be small enough to get into them.
    GM: Oh dear god.

And that, my friends, is my tale of my horrifying ears. These days, it hasn't been so bad. Most of my customers are genuinely curious, and ask if I can take out my plugs. I do, and they're a little put off by it, but kids LOVE to stick highlighters through them. Some days I think I'm part of a traveling freak show.

Those were unusual, oh, about a decade ago, so why are people getting all freaked out now??

All I ask from a counter person is to be pleasant, helpful and do their job right. I don't give a crap what kind of jewelry they wear.

LOVE your answer to the pig trucker, too!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm not sure why people are getting upset about them. Maybe because of the size? A lot of people have little ones now, but it's not everyday you see ones that are my size and up. I'm not really too sure. I always tell people, "Do you want to come into a store where everyone is genuinely happy and friendly? Or come into a store that has sour ass faced cashier behind the till and a manager who looks like he might hang himself?".

Comment

I can't stand it when people take their plugs out. It just,I don't know, gives me the heebie jeebies something serious. That, and the waitress who stuck her pencil in there. NO. NONONO.

Your GM is awesome.

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
          I can't stand it when people take their plugs out. It just,I don't know, gives me the heebie jeebies something serious. That, and the waitress who stuck her pencil in there. NO. NONONO.

Your GM is awesome.
          This. I'd rather see the plug than the hole.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

And I can agree. I've worn eyelets (just flesh tunnels), that do show the hole, because I've felt like it, but when I get a request from my GM, or his managers, I'll typically just change them. It takes me less than ten seconds, save both myself and my boss from a gigantic headache. And some people are put off by the plugs being out, or a huge hole. And that's fine, but don't treat me like I'm trash when I've gone out of my way to make your experience in my store a pleasant one.

And my GM is awesome, I love that guy.

Comment

You know, there are appearance choices I don't like, but even so, I don't get a vote. If you're nice to me, and I'm nice back...what else really matters?

People. I just don't get them.
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Halo_miles View Post
                SC: She shouldn't be here with that stupid shit in her ears! How the hell did she get hired!?
                And SC shouldn't be here with that stupid shit BETWEEN her ears.

The second part of this is when I had a trucker in. He was a filthy pig of a man, and made all sorts of lewd comments towards myself and my other two coworkers. The boss is filling up his coffee when this exchange happens:

SC: Hey! Nice ass! You ever do anything freaky with those ear holes of yours?
                Me: Yeah, and you might be small enough to get into them.
                GM: Oh dear god.
                As a trucker, I'm ashamed to have guys like that in the same trade. Nice "burn", though. Should have made a PA announcement (note that I'm using CB slang here) "Would whoever is hauling go-go girls please check your trailer - one has escaped and entered the store."
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                  You're female...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Honesty time: I think they are ugly. I would never do it. BUT. That's as far as I go. I have no right to tell you what to do with your own body. You have every right to do it, I have no right to tell you not to. And as they don't affect business, there's nothing wrong with you wearing them. And I'm glad your boss supports you.
                    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      You're female...
                      What? *confused*
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        You're female...
                        What? *confused*
                        Knowing Dalesys' mind-in-the-gutter attitude, I believe he's stating that a woman would be more interested in the "insertable" than in the place where it is inserted.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

You should be very proud of your GM.

Quick question: are there 'flesh' coloured plugs available? Ones which are reasonably close to the natural colour of your skin? I ask solely because this might make those who have a 'queasy' sort of reaction more comfortable.

(Those like the old lady who claimed you have no right to a customer service job, can just lump it.)

Count me as another of those who loves your quick reaction to the truck driver - and loves your GM for just groaning over it.

Edit to add: Oh. My. God. I just saw some TRULY BEAUTIFUL ear plugs. Carved artworks, truly gorgeous resin work ... beautiful. Enough that I am almost - almost! - tempted to do it myself. Despite the fact that (a) I'm one of the ones who gets queasy, and (b), my body heals very badly.
                          Last edited by Seshat; 03-14-2014, 09:06 AM.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Halo_miles View Post
                            And I can agree. I've worn eyelets (just flesh tunnels), that do show the hole...
                            I was going to ask what eyelets are, but then saw the reference to "flesh tunnels" and remembered what a pansy I am about that sort of stuff.

I also wanted to echo what other folks have said: your GM sounds awesome.
                            Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              You should be very proud of your GM.

Quick question: are there 'flesh' coloured plugs available? Ones which are reasonably close to the natural colour of your skin? I ask solely because this might make those who have a 'queasy' sort of reaction more comfortable.
                              I saw some on a guy at a local COSTCO just the other day. Looked like he had fairly large holes, and the plugs looked fine - it wasn't very noticable at all.
                              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Working...
                              X