Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Ears Are Offensive! (long) (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The earlobe is basically as optional a part of the body as the appendix. Worst that can happen is you mess it up permanently, and have a cosmetic difference from the average human.

The cartilaginous part of the external ear helps direct sound to the eardrum, so messing that up is more of an issue!

As I understand it, stretching the lobe is just a matter of putting a hole in it, then expanding the hole slowly enough that the body grows more skin. Tapered plugs are useful for keeping it slow.

Now me, I have some avatistic gut reaction to the difference. Difference between me and idiots is that I know the avatistic reaction is MY problem, not the problem of the person who has the stretched lobes.

But then, how else will you wear a carved monkey or carved wooden flower in your ear?
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

There is some body art that makes me wince (for some reason the ring through the eyebrow makes me shudder) but if the store hired you, they obviously have no problem with it. No amount of whining from an uninvolved party is going to make your employer think differently about you. Not sure what these people thought they'd accomplish.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
        That, and the waitress who stuck her pencil in there.
        Better than a cell phone.
        http://www.luuux.com/viz/earlobe-as-...carrying-case#
        At least it wasn't a smart phone.
        Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
        You know, there are appearance choices I don't like, but even so, I don't get a vote. If you're nice to me, and I'm nice back...what else really matters?
        +1

And one more vote for awesome manager.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Story I have from over 10 years ago about stretched ears: long ago I took the bus to work every day, and pretty much the same group of people would be on it. One of the ladies I chatted with during the morning commute was in her 70s, and still working. She wore enormous dangling earrings, and judging by how stretched her lobes were, had for most of her life. I'd say that the holes at the time I knew her would make any of the ear stretching folks in this thread impressed. Just goes to show, I guess, that there are many ways to get the same effect.

Comment

I've seen little old ladies who had their ear lobes stretched by the enormous, heavy, dangling earrings they were wearing, complain about the person who was purposely stretching theirs. They shut up when I looked at the person they were complaining about and then looked at their ears and raised an eyebrow that was the unspoken, "Really?" I mean, geeze, same ends, just different means! In fact, the old biddies' ears were more stretched! They nearly were down to their shoulders, due to the stupidly huge dinner plates they had hanging off 'em.

I'm of the mindset that if the service is good, I don't care what a person looks like. Frankly, it's none of my business what someone does with and to their body and I'd like to keep it like that
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I'm in the same camp as some others here -- It give me the heebie-jeebies, but it is absolutely not my place to say anything. You a good worker? Friendly? Know your shit? Then you rock. Case closed.
              Quoth wolfie View Post
              Knowing Dalesys' mind-in-the-gutter attitude...
              Pretty much, yeah. This is Dalesys we're talking about, here. When in doubt with his posts, assume innuendo. You'll be correct far more often than not.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                ...This is Dalesys we're talking about, here. When in doubt with his posts, assume...
                ...insinyouendo, TYVM.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Through the sorrow,
                  All through our splendor,
                  Don't take offence at my
                  Insinyouendo...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
                    I can't stand it when people take their plugs out. It just,I don't know, gives me the heebie jeebies something serious. That, and the waitress who stuck her pencil in there. NO. NONONO.

Your GM is awesome.
                    Yeah, the plug is fine, and even the eyelet is okay, but the jewelry-free lobe hole? I can't. Sorry.

I'm not going to comment on it to you, but it squicks me out to see.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                      Yeah, the plug is fine, and even the eyelet is okay, but the jewelry-free lobe hole? I can't. Sorry.

I'm not going to comment on it to you, but it squicks me out to see.
                      This. Most certainly this. My problem to deal with though.

The only thing that's squicked me out more was a torn lobe, that wierded me right out.
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Well, the point really here is on the sucky behavior. We don't have to agree with someone's cosmetic choices to see how treating someone badly based on their jewelry is just plain sucky.

I had a coworker years ago who had a terrible looking lobe, all scarred up and she could not wear an earring in it . . . because her SO had ripped the earring out years before. Not her fault, but she still got a lot of hell about it from patients even though she conformed with the dress code in all other respects.

I also had a student who had terrible keloids on her upper arm from a tattoo she tried to get removed by laser surgery. Someone made a smart remark about it being a brand "and who would do that?", and I pointed out to that person that 1) the student was trying to get rid of the tattoo and scarred, and 2) she never, ever failed to cover it in the hospital.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Oh my days, SCs and their blunt opinions. Why they feel the need to inform you of their severe hate of anything that seems abnormal to them, I'll never understand. I, myself have numerous surface piercings and brightly coloured dreadlocks. My boss is awesome and has no issue with the way I look, because it doesn't impede my ability to do my job, and I'm hygienic. But that didn't stop one SC in particular telling me I "look like something from star wars" and asking me why a "pretty girl" like me would "ruin herself" like that. It's my body, I'll do as I please.

Comment

Quoth Legacy_of_Torment View Post
                            But that didn't stop one SC in particular telling me I "look like something from star wars" and asking me why a "pretty girl" like me would "ruin herself" like that. It's my body, I'll do as I please.
                            Best response:

Them: "You look like something from Star Wars!"
                            You: "Echuta."
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                              Well, the point really here is on the sucky behavior. We don't have to agree with someone's cosmetic choices to see how treating someone badly based on their jewelry is just plain sucky.

I had a coworker years ago who had a terrible looking lobe, all scarred up and she could not wear an earring in it . . . because her SO had ripped the earring out years before. Not her fault, but she still got a lot of hell about it from patients even though she conformed with the dress code in all other respects.
                              I was going to say "Yeah, what if they were burned or something and didn't even have an ear?" And then I remembered where I was and that someone would still make a dumbass comment on that person's appearance too.

Comment

I've found something called "cheaters" (no, not that tv show) where you can wear earrings that look like stretchers. I don't know any overseas sites, but I got mine from www.organictwist.co.za, and they're really pretty....
                                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                                X