This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID moron runs to mummy for help!

It's fairly straight forward, right? You look under twenty five years old and ask for cigarettes; I ask for ID, you show me ID, you get cigarettes. Not to this guy.

ID moron, or IDM, asked me for twenty Mayfair. Due to Think 25, we have to ID any customer who looks under twenty five years old. Yes, you have to be eighteen to purchase smokes, but if you look younger than twenty five, you should expect to have to flash your ID. Not so IDM.

"Why are you IDing me?" he asked, crossly. "I'm twenty two. I shouldn't have to deal with all this shit."

"I'm sorry, but due to Think 25 we have to ID anyone who looks under twenty five," I replied.

"Well, I don't have my driving licience, but cuz I'm twenty two, you have to serve me."

"Sorry, but if you don't have ID, I can't serve you."

"Where's your manager?" IDM bitched. "I want to make a complaint about you."

I waved him in the direction of Martin, the second in command at the petrol station. IDM went over there and bitched, I went back to serving customers. Eventually, I looked up to see IDM storming out the door. Martin came over to me and said that he'd backed me up, and apparently, IDM hadn't liked that one bit and had said that Martin would be sorry, before tantruming out of the petrol station.

"If he comes back," Martin added, "Let me deal with him."

IDM did indeed return, but here's the kicker; his mother was with him. Mother Dearest immediately went over to Martin and started screeching about how he had to serve her son with cigarettes, cuz he was twenty two. Wait, what? What kind of twenty two year old is still attached to Mummy's apron strings? O_o

Anyway, it didn't work. Martin just told Mother Dearest the same thing as he told IDM. She didn't like it and started making threats, so Martin told her and her son to get out before he called over security. They both left, and I haven't seen them since; not shedding too many tears over that.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

With the way the economy is these days, it is not unrealistic for kids to stay at home with their parents until their early 20s, especially if they are studying at university. The kid gets cheap rent and an opportunity to save up towards their first home.

It is quite common in japan, (with the result of love hotels all over Japan) and is becoming more common in New Zealand due to the absolutely ruinous rent and purchase prices of property (unless you want to live in absolute squalor in auckland, one would expect very little change out of $600k-700k - and that is the low end of the scale.)
    Last edited by Kagato; 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I stayed with my parents until I was 23 (just moved out of home). Partner was on and off since around the age of 19. (He moved in with his ex for around a year, then moved back in with his parents until about a year ago, when they moved out, he was left in the giant ass house with bitch roomie then he moved to where he is now)
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Same in Hawaii, where kids just out of school can't even remotely afford anything...

Comment

I know lots of adults who live at home for economic reasons, but who are not attached to mommy's apron strings. Adulthood has more to do with how you act than it does with where you live.

Comment

There is a difference between a young adult still living at home to save money, and a 22 year old kid. See, the former can handle their own affairs and likely would have had their ID in the first place and avoided the whole scenario. Or if they forgot their ID for some reason would not have thrown a fit and gone crying to mommy. They'd have gotten their ID and come back later and resolved to never forget their ID again.

The later is clearly not an adult at all.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth judecat View Post
              I know lots of adults who live at home for economic reasons, but who are not attached to mommy's apron strings. Adulthood has more to do with how you act than it does with where you live.
              Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              There is a difference between a young adult still living at home to save money, and a 22 year old kid. See, the former can handle their own affairs and likely would have had their ID in the first place and avoided the whole scenario. Or if they forgot their ID for some reason would not have thrown a fit and gone crying to mommy. They'd have gotten their ID and come back later and resolved to never forget their ID again.

The later is clearly not an adult at all.
              ^This.

Basically, everyone cept you guys seems to be missing the point. -.- In any case, who says that IDM was even living with his mother? There are plenty of grown up kids who are mummy's boys/girls who are living apart. The SCness was first the childish tantrum, then running to mummy to yell at that nasty manager who dared to take the cashier's side. Hell, most teenagers don't do that. To see a grown man do that was... something else. O_o
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Seriously! You've got to run to mommy because you were asked to show id? if you need to do that, even if you're 22, you are to immature to be smoking in the first place.

And to the mother: let him grow up and fight his own battles, all be it, in this case, a stupid one solved by showing ID when asked.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

As pointed out, in probably about half the time it took for him to retrieve mommy, he could've found his driver's license.

But, he's that special mix of stupid and defiant, he's going to bend the world to HIS will one way or another and will NOT negotiate with rules!

His kind will pound themselves bloody against a brick wall, for if they can loosen one tiny bit of mortar, then they have won!
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I often have people who are in my bar with their parents. Every now and then, when I card one of them, they don't have their ID. Invariably, one of the parents (usually the mother) will say something along the lines of, "Oh, he's/she's of age. I'm his/her mother." Wherein I very politely inform them that the State of Florida doesn't give a rat's ass about parental verification, and still requires me to see a valid ID for me to sell someone alcohol. No ID, no booze, no matter what Mommy says.

Speaking of being carded...at Christmas and again in April, I was carded. In June I turned 44. At both times, when asked to produce ID, I very politely and calmly produced my damn ID. Why? Because the person asking me for ID was doing their damn job. Now, on the few occasions when I've been carded and for some reason did not have my ID on me, I got mad at the only jackass responsible for that unfortunate situation: ME.
                    Last edited by Jester; 07-13-2014, 04:03 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm 28 and still live at home, BUT I'm not attached to my mum's apron strings, and certainly wouldn't go crying to her that the 'evil' cashier asked me for ID.

Anyway, what is wrong with people these days? Flash your ID, get your smokes, get your nicotine fix and all's well. But no, they're not satisfied with that, are they? They have to make a song and dance about how unfair it is, make threats, try to get the cashier fired (happened to me; luckily I didn't get fired because hey, I was doing my job correctly lol)... it just makes no sense.

Also, the fact the mother tried to pander to her son's needs, even though he was acting like a jerk, makes me wonder if she's the reason he's so rude.

Comment

Most likely. Sounds like a helicopter mommy and a speshul snoeflayke child (I don't care if he's physically mature, he's still a child in emotional and behavioral maturity) who was raised by the bizarre theory that ever saying NO to a child would be devastatingly traumatic and cause lifelong damage.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I can think of one instance in my life where my mother ever said something when I was ID'd. We were out for drinks shortly before my wedding and I had an out of state ID. I looked really young at the time, and was barely 21. Anyway, I produced ID when asked, but the server accused me of having a fake. Before I could even respond, my mother said something to the effect of "Yeah, it's not a fake, I was there when she was born. Now let me speak to your manager." The server had made a number of other mistakes, so this was just the final straw. Actually, I was a little embarrassed that mom stepped in, but it all happened so fast, and she was paying the bill and had other things to address, so I suppose she was within reasonable boundaries. Years later I again got accused of having a fake ID (I'd lost my driver's license on a weekend and was using my passport card until I could get to the DMV the next Monday), and handled it myself, TYVM.

Anyway, I can't imagine actually running to mommy if I somehow managed to not have ID on me. I also can't imagine not politely showing my iD when a server/bartender/store clerk asks for it. It's just part of the job.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Some stores around here will card everyone buying alcohol, no matter what age they look. I was shopping with my mom, who just turned 60, and she was asked for ID. My mom kinda joked with the cashier about it and he said the computer wouldn't complete the transaction without an ID scan. If this was 100% true, I don't know. But I always have ID on me no matter what, so who cares?

And, just for kicks, wouldn't it be hysterical to demand prove that the mother and son were indeed related? "Ma'am, can you prove this is in fact your son? Oh, right, he has no ID..." Wishful thinking.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Speaking of being carded...at Christmas and again in April, I was carded. In June I turned 44. At both times, when asked to produce ID, I very politely and calmly produced my damn ID. Why? Because the person asking me for ID was doing their damn job.
                              I've had absolutely no problem telling people that it is not only my job to ask for ID for anyone I have even the slightest doubt about, but my legal obligation to do so. You want alcohol/cigarettes, well, that's great, I don't want to lose my AAT card and gaming card (and given that my primary job requires a gaming card and has set me up with experience pretty much only for other jobs that require gaming cards, that is a big deal), both of which are things that get immediately revoked if you are caught selling to a minor.
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X