This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault and Battery.

Hey there. I've been wandering this site for a while and I must say I feel a million times better knowing that I'm not alone out there. I've been in customer service for about five years now and I despise it most days. Anyways, I thought I'd share a story for ya'll.

So, a bit of background. I currently am working as a cashier/stocker/closing shift manager in a dollar (but not dollar) store in a coffee stain on the map type of town where everybody knows everything. It might help to know that this town is located in the deep South of the USA and is infamously known in the county as a major drug town. Yeah. Tweakers and rednecks. Perfect combination of customers. I've worked here for about a year now and I'll share my favorite (and first for this store) SC customer story.

I had been working for only a week at this new job when I encountered my first SC. He seemed perfectly normal (don't most do?) and walked into the store with his wife and two young daughters. They walked to the back of the store and I continued assisting customers at my register.

About ten minutes later, he comes back towards the front and he looks PISSED. (NOTE: In front of my register is a display full of batteries..... Not the two and four packs of batteries, but the six, eight, and ten packs of batteries.) His wife is behind whispering and shushing him, telling him to not cause trouble. UH-OH. He's turning red, not saying anything.

While watching them, I wasn't paying attention and a young woman came to my counter. She clears her throat, I apologize, and try to continue a normal transaction. The SC then storms up to my register and DEMANDS that I have the young woman arrested because she's a thief, she is robbing us BLIND , HOW DARE WE ALLOW HER TO SHOP HERE.

Obviously, explaining that I can't do anything to her without proof pisses him off. The young woman, embarrassed, tries leaving the store with her PAID purchases when SC grabs her and pulls her hair. I immediately paged for a manager. The SC knocks the woman on the floor (management is dialing the local town sheriff), while the customer punches the poor woman in the face, and proceeds to take ALL the batteries off the display and throw ALL of the batteries at ME. I now have a scar down my forearm where the plastic cut me deeply. The other minor abrasions and bruises healed quickly.

Yes. He was arrested. He was banned from the store. Yes. I'm crazy, I still work there..... And he wasn't mad at her for 'shoplifting', she was his sister-in-law who owed him money for... You guessed it.... Drugs.
    Last edited by Plankton78; 07-28-2014, 08:51 AM. Reason: Misspellings
    No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Wow. Just bring a completely innocent cashier into your family matters, jerk! I know it's scary just SEEING people fight and argue, but actually getting involved unwillingly? Nasty. I broke up an argument between two waring neighbours once. They were in my shop, and one was being really nasty to the other. I wasn't rude, I just told them to please stop it. The nasty neighbour then started having a go at me and told me "your cards are marked." WTF? Okaaaaay. Never saw him again.

I'm sorry he assaulted you like that btw. That's horrible. You had nothing to do with this, yet you're the one who ended up with cuts and bruises! That's just not on!

Comment

And for some reason, I stayed at the job in this crazy redneck town. Insanity. I know.
      No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

Quoth Plankton78 View Post
        Yes. I'm crazy, I still work there.....
        Maybe not crazy. Things are unlikely (though not impossible - don't wanna jinx you) to go worse than that, so ya got that workin' for ya.

Those big battery packs are HEFTY! You might have gotten much worse with a head shot, or a broken finger. Glad you didn't.

Silver lining - tweaker off the streets for a little bit, too.

Welcome aboard Plankton.

Comment

Quoth threat title
          Assault and Battery.
          What you did there, I see it.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth threat title
            Assault and Battery.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            What you did there, I see it.
            And you, I see what you did thar, as well.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              Silver lining - tweaker off the streets for a little bit, too.
              So true. I'm glad he's gone.

Comment

Working...
              X