This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
    I'm amazed at how librarians and book store employees can find things with so little information. I'm sure you could all figure it out if someone said, "It's a book about a guy on Mars."
    Is he on his own? Then it's The Martian.

Is he rescued by Martians then returns to Earth? Stranger in a Strange Land.

Does he lead the Martians in a revolution? John Carter series.

I could go on...
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

'Him-working in the library!!'I read a book once.Green it was''

...cookies for reference :P
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
        'Him-working in the library!!'I read a book once.Green it was''

...cookies for reference :P
        From Porridge.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Er, sometimes when I go to the bookstore, "I am looking for a book" is the correct answer. Of course, I'm just looking for something new to read, so I just graze the shelves until something catches my eye. I don't bother an employee with a query.

Although if an employee comes up and asks me if they can help me with something, I will sometimes answer with that, then explain what I'm doing.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

At the last public library I worked, patrons would come up to me as I was putting returns on the New Book shelf and ask "where are the good books?" After months of this, I crafted the reply, "We don't carry those any more. They keep getting stolen."
            This line still works when I'm in the stacks of my university's library.

Comment

Quoth depechemodefan View Post
              "The Red Book" is a banking reference book.
              There's also Mao's Little Red Book.

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
              Is he on his own? Then it's The Martian.

Is he rescued by Martians then returns to Earth? Stranger in a Strange Land.

Does he lead the Martians in a revolution? John Carter series.

I could go on...
              A bunch of stories about Mars? The Martian Chronicles.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                There's also Mao's Little Red Book.
                There are a number of tech manuals that are simply referred to as "The [color] Book".

Quoth Pagan View Post
                A bunch of stories about Mars? The Martian Chronicles.
                Is he a teen with a pet fuzzball? Heinlein's Red Planet.
                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Female tweenager? Podkayne of Mars

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                    There are a number of tech manuals that are simply referred to as "The [color] Book".
                    In the computer world, there are a bunch of books that are referred to by the name of the animal featured prominently on their cover. The "Dragon Book" is the one I used back in school, and there are plenty of others...
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      In the computer world, there are a bunch of books that are referred to by the name of the animal featured prominently on their cover. The "Dragon Book" is the one I used back in school, and there are plenty of others...
                      Yeah, but the [color] books are from the 60's through the 80's.
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

...And occasionally the customers get too specific. I once had an old lady swear up and down that the book she was looking for, Girl With a Pearl in Her Ear was not the same as Girl With a Pearl Earring.
                        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Or you get cases (I HOPE it was a joke when I read it) where a customer is looking for a book called "The Red Boat", and after the bookstore employee does a LOT of unsuccessful searching, suggests that it might be "The Ruby Yacht" by Omar something-or-other.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I had that kind of query back when I worked in the charity bookstore, and it was even more annoying cuz customers would get upset when I pointed out that we didn't carry every single book in existance, we only had what people donated. Any suggestions of visiting the library instead to get a specific book would get the famous blank stare...
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Question for the bookstore people: I see you get annoyed by some of the questions people ask when looking for a book. Sometimes I'm looking for a book that I don't know whether or not it even exists. How do you feel about questions of this nature?

I have books 1-6 of "The Fleet", edited by Bill Fawcett and David Drake. Is this the complete series, or are there more volumes, and if so, can you order the other volumes in this series?
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

According to Goodreads.com, 6 books is it.

Comment

Working...
                                X