This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I'm sure we don't use the chip.

I've heard of (but never seen) chip cards that don't have a stripe.

Customer calls me over to SCO, she's selected Debit/Credit and is staring blankly at the register screen. her card is inserted into the chip reader (I've made up "blocks" using empty gift cards with "NO CHIP, PLEASE SLIDE CARD" on the exposed end, but apparently that's a no-no; any signage must be approved/printed by Corporate now).

SC: Why isn't my card working?
    I see instantly what the 'problem' is.
    Me: We don't use the chip, you need to slide your card.
    SC: I can't. You must use the chip.
    Me: No, we don't have it. Does your card have a stripe? (SC won't let me see the back of her card, so I'm not sure if it really doesn't have a strip or if she's just being difficult)
    SC gets a sly grin.
    SC: You're telling me that none of these take the chip?
    Me: That's exactly what I'm telling you. NONE of our registers take the chip.
    SC: You must. All your other stores do. (no they don't)
    Me: None of our stores use the chip. You need to use either a magstripe card or pay cash.
    SC: Then you just lost a sale. I don't want this, take it off.
    Only thing she's buying is a Powerade, all of $1 (you really don't have the cash for that?) I need a manager to void a transaction, so I wave J over.
    Me: I need you to void this.
    J asks why.
    SC: She just told me that you don't use the chip!
    J: She's right, we don't. Does your card have a stripe?
    SC: No. You need to take chips!
    J: We can't. I don't make that decision. if you would like to suggest that to Corporate feel free.
    The chip issue has to do with POS certification, which AFAIK we have nothing to do with.

SC then runs over to the desk and tells Lead P the same thing...and P tells her the same thing we did. I was kinda hoping for SC to demand to speak to D, who really has no clue about the chip cards (he was here during the terminal changeover, and I had to explain to him what was going on).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

"SC: Then you just lost a sale. I don't want this, take it off."

Yeah, I'm sure that your manager will be tossing and turning in his/her sleep, dreaming of that $1 void, and will be vowing revenge on corporate for keeping that sale from him/her.

Comment

Part of me suspects that SC expected me to pay for her drink...er, no. My willingness to make up a difference is limited to pennies.

I love how SCs think that threat means anything as if we're all paid solely on commission. We get the same regardless. I personally know of two chains here that use the chip, and the employees and some customers hate it. Mom says that the stripe-less cards are only in Europe that she knows of, but most visitors know we still have the swipe readers (and I've seen plenty of non-US based cards with a stripe).

Comment

Having just worked registration at a con, I ran hundreds of chip cards. I didn't see a single one that didn't have a magstripe. Not saying they don't exist, mind you. Also, we were instructed that if the card has a chip, we were forbidden from using the stripe, so once I saw the chip, I didn't bother looking for the stripe on most of them.

But all that hassle for $1? Really? I think losing that sale is the best thing you could have done.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

What about cards that have the tap function on them, you know, the kind where you tap your card on the card reader to pay?
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I've been told we have that, but have yet to try; I just recently upgraded to a phone that uses the feature.

Comment

o_O I live in Canada, we've had the chips for years and all our cards still have stripes. Because once in a while the computers get farky and the chip doesn't work. Da fudge?

Comment

Chips really started to get introduced for real in the US last Fall or so. IIRC, the deadline for the changeover -- when all stores MUST accept chips, by law -- is sometime this October. As for Tap, I think only Apple Pay (in stores) and FastPass (??) (at gas pumps) have any real interest in that here. The chips contain transmitters, so they're about as insecure as normal cards (depending on transmitter type). With the proper equipment, a thief can just hang out in the vicinity of the store with a receiver -- kinda like how people do this to hop on others' wifi networks without their knowledge. Chips, while they have, of course, been cracked for years now (just like everything else), are still more secure than all of the other card types.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I don't care which system the store has. I just want to pay for my stuff and go. People make a huge deal out of nothing these days. Just ridiculous.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    Only thing she's buying is a Powerade, all of $1 (you really don't have the cash for that?)
                    I know of one person who almost never carries cash.

Pays by credit card for EVERYTHING.

I hear it made his last trip to NJ...interesting...when he HAD to use a toll road.

(To be fair, I did slip a few dollars into his wallet, but since he never carries cash, he forgot that he had it.)
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I use my credit card for everything. But then, the only place that doesn't take it is the dollar store.

Comment

My debt card is mag stripe ONLY and that is what I use 99.9% of the time. I rarely use cash and only use my CC (non chip at this time) for the time being for a VERY small percentage of my purchases mostly online stuff (very rare) or a book or two at the local B&N to keep my CC active.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Scammer

The customer would not let him see the card so he could confirm the lack of a mag-stripe! I smell a lying scammer.

Aside for the fact that I have cards for both Canada and the USA and all the chip cards have mag-stripes. why would you make a statement that you don't have a mag-stripe but are not willing to prove it by flashing both sides of your card. And in the fact they are insisting the store must have chip readers when the IO knows that they don't reeks of a scammer to me.
                          Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 07-15-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                            I know of one person who almost never carries cash.

Pays by credit card for EVERYTHING.
                            I used to do that (I used a bank card, not credit), but I always had cash with me, just in case.

And I took a toll road in Kansas a few months back that had no trouble taking plastic.
                            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I rarely use cash. But I have a backup form of payment on me. Debit not working? Use the credit. I do carry all my options on me, but I'm not one to lose my wallet.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X