Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only use cash where it is the most convenient method of payment; usually where stores and stalls are cash-only or when paying by credit or debit comes with a fee if my purchase is worth less than the minimum amount required to use plastic for free.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
      The customer would not let him see the card so he could confirm the lack of a mag-stripe! I smell I lying scammer.
      That's exactly what I was thinking...and SC's reaction when J voided the transaction was interesting. She definitely thought one of us was going to pay for the item just to get rid of her.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Credit cards are required to have the chip. debit cards are not. stores are not required to take chip cards. However if you have the capability to accept the chip and you do not, you allow a swipe or key in, you are responsible if there it is a fraudulent charge.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Chips really started to get introduced for real in the US last Fall or so. IIRC, the deadline for the changeover -- when all stores MUST accept chips, by law -- is sometime this October. ...
          My understanding of the chip cards in the US was stores needed to start accepting them last October (2015). If they did not, they assumed additional liability for fraudulent card transactions.

Look at item #5 on this FAQ.

This article discusses the disappearance of the magnetic strip on cards.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I have seen some cards where the strip was the same colour as the back of the card, you had to look twice to discern the slight difference in texture.

Comment

IA: Interesting. I could have sworn it was this year. Thanks!
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                we were instructed that if the card has a chip, we were forbidden from using the stripe, so once I saw the chip, I didn't bother looking for the stripe on most of them..
                One of my stores recently upgraded our ancient, slow card reader (that processed every. single. transaction by dial-up) to a newer unit with an Ethernet port on it. It has a chip reader, and I've been using it as such whenever there's a card with a chip. Once I tried swiping a chip card, and it actually refused to accept the swipe ... it said "Insert Card" on the display.

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                What about cards that have the tap function on them, you know, the kind where you tap your card on the card reader to pay?
                Those didn't last all that long. The last card but one that I got from Big Blue Bank had the "tap" transponder on it for the first time; the very next one had a chip, and no transponder. That one always made me nervous; what's to stop someone with a portable reader from sneaking up behind me and reading my card right through my wallet? (OK, aluminum foil is to stop them, but I never actually cared enough to wrap my cards.)

Also, Aid of Right had tap-readers on their terminals, but they went from "not ready yet" straight to "obsolete" without ever stopping on "operational".

Comment

A lot of fast food places around me still have toe tap to read systems in place and operational. Never used or had one myself.
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                    A lot of fast food places around me still have toe tap to read systems in place.
                    This typo amuses me.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      This typo amuses me.
                      Not sure where that came from, but considering how impatient some customers are when getting their morning coffee, I'm leaving it.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I see chip readers just about everywhere I go, and more and more stores are taking advantage of payment by tap. I live in Canada, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
                        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Never seen a chip card with no mag strip. Did see my mom's card is a portrait layout rather than landscape, which was frustrating b/c I couldn't show off my phone's CC camera scanner to her when I was pre-checking her into her hotel room on my phone. I believe it still did have a mag strip though.

Quoth Becks View Post
                          I know of one person who almost never carries cash.

Pays by credit card for EVERYTHING.

I hear it made his last trip to NJ...interesting...when he HAD to use a toll road.
                          I NEVER carry cash. I have a stash of coins I try to keep stocked in my car for parking (though I try to park on the blocks that have CC-friendly pay stations when possible). Yes, I am one of those people.

Fortunately there aren't many toll roads here. The few we have either take CCs and/or they just photograph your license plate and mail you the bill.

I do often find myself wishing buskers downtown would have square readers or whatnot on their smartphones though. Seen some great musicians but had no cash to drop in their case.
                          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                          X