This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid and Court Don't Mix

You got a traffic ticket. You came in on your arraignment date as you promised. You spoke with the prosecutor. The prosecutor made you an offer that would keep the moving violation off your record. You accepted the offer. The judge signed off on the agreement. You paid your penalty. You were given the terms of your probation. You left.

All is well?

Silly me.

You decided to try a fast one. You drove to your bank that same day. You stopped payment on the check. You probably thought that since you had a statement declaring the matter resolved, the court could not do anything.

Silly you.

You violated the terms of your probation. You now have a moving violation conviction. You now also have a warrant for your arrest.

See ya soon!
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Stupid

Stupid, that is so stupid I don't know what to say.

Bounce a check on the government would be bad enough, people lose track of their bank balances and make that mistake.

But cancelling a check, did he really think the government would not be told that and realize this is something done on purpose?

Comment

That level of stupidity astounds me.
      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
        That level of stupidity astounds me.
        Normally I'd agree, but I've been on this site FAR too long...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          Normally I'd agree, but I've been on this site FAR too long...
          Yes, you'd think I'd be numb to it now, but alas I still have some vestiges of optimism left. I keep figuring the stupid people will kill themselves off, but there are too many of them, I'm afraid.

Or, conversely:

There are too many of them. I'm afraid.
          Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Haha that made my day

Comment

Thought they could do an end run around the Court? Not happening.

Comment

Doesn't that constitute fraud? They deliberately wrote a check that they had no intention of honoring.

I bet they tell the judge they didn't have the money to cover the check.
                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I thought - for sheer stupidity - nothing could beat Argabarga's story of the guy who thought he could steal his car out of the impound lot and nobody at the tow company would bother following up on it.

Yup, wrong again.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                    Doesn't that constitute fraud? They deliberately wrote a check that they had no intention of honoring.
                    Yes, not to mention a breach of his plea deal
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Somehow I don't think the judge is going to be quite so lenient this time...

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
                        I still have some vestiges of optimism left.
                        Let it go....let the optimism flow out of you...that's right...
                        There are too many of them. I'm afraid.
                        That's because they have nothing better to do than breed. The rest of us are wasting our time on....message...

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                        Yes, not to mention a breach of his plea deal
                        And his probation. He dun fucked up.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Stupid and Court don't mix, but when they try, it provides a lot of entertainment.
                          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Stupid and jail mix even worse.

I'm reminded of the guy whose case I knew of, back in 1998.

He was serving an 8 month sentence at the county lockup for something kinda serious but no so serious he had to do state time at the SCI up the road.

He also qualified for work furlough, clock out in the morning, go to your job, clock back into jail at night, he only really had to sleep there, but still go credit for his sentence.

Pretty sweet deal right?

Well, until he tried to double-dip his employer. He claimed he never got a check one week (when he had) and asked (more like threatened actually) they cut him a new one. I think the phrase he used was "You better give me my f*cking money!"

He then, tried to cash BOTH, apparently not understanding the employer had canceled the first one.

Say hello to theft by deception charges

Say hello to terroristic threat charges

Say hello to revoked furlough

Say hello to TWO YEARS prison sentence at the SCI up the road.... dumbass.
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Any updates, South Texan?
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                              X