Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to exercise their maths brain?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want to exercise their maths brain?

For what it's worth, I agree with the supermarket, but this is a rather fascinating read for anyone who feels like wading through percentages and discounts:

Has this guy been short-changed?
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

I'm not sure of all the details; I'd have to write down numbers to verify; but I agree with the Customer in this case.

If the coupon is "10$ off any purchase over 150$", then it should NOT suddenly become a percentage off coupon at checkout.

Now if his purchase was just at 150$ and the refund would knock it below 150$, then maybe some funky math might be needed (or else it would be "Ok we've refunded you 7$ for the missing items. Your total is now 143$. You owe us 3$."). But he was well over that limit and the refund still left him over the limit.

Comment

The math is correct, but the logic is wrong. Jetfire is right.

If the missing item took the total below $150.00, then he would have lost the $10.00 discount.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The math in the article is super confusing, but here's how $ off coupons work at my store. (Ignoring tax issues for the moment)

Say there is a coupon for $5 off a purchase of $30. The customer buys three items at $10 each. Their total is $25. Later, the customer returns one of the items. He would get back $8.33. Because the coupon took $1.67 from each of the three items and each item ended up being $8.33.

So I think the original store math is correct, because he wasn't ever charged the full amount, he was charged the reduced amount that he was refunded. If I'm understanding correctly. However suddenly talking about percentages makes them look wrong, why even say that coupons are converted to percentages?
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

In you example, the new total dropped below the required minimum. In the Op's story, it did not.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The correct way to do this would have been to reverse the entire transaction and then redo it with the unavailable item removed. The fact that the system is programmed to allocate the discount a particular way should be completely invisible to customers.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
            X