X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liars, Thieves and Morons, oh my!

Nice try, "Sam"

This was a guy who identified himself as "Sam Roberts" from Montana. He was able to verify the account of Sam Roberts from Montana but he certainly didn't sound like a Sam Roberts from Montana.

You see, I'm pretty sure Sam Roberts from Montana doesn't talk with a thick Indian accent. Also, I hear all kinds of call center noise in the background. On top of that, when I asked what kind of phone he had he named the wrong device and it took him an awful long time to validate the billing address.

He wants me to send some phones out for him. I say no deal, he gets angry and belligerent, threatening to report me to <Red Checkmark> security for "ethical violations" and asks if I am ready to lose my job over this. It took every ounce of strength I had not to laugh.

Look dude. I know what you're doing, YOU know what you're doing, just...stop.

Usually they realize I'm not going to budge and they'll give up. Sometimes they persist to the point where I get "Manager approval" to complete the order and - Oh, would you look at that? The system just went down. Too bad...

Pushing the envelope

I seem to be a fraud magnet lately.

I got a call from this syrupy sweet sounding lady who gave me a complicated, long winded story about an ongoing saga between her and <Red Checkmark>. I didn't get all the details but the crux of it seems to be we sent her a phone and she never got it so can we please double check the shippin address and send another one if necessary?

Not in intself a crazy request but, and maybe I've just been doing this for too long, but my SC-sense was tingling on this call.

So I pull the order from the system and tell her what address it was sent to. Sounding somewhat huffy now, she states that no, that's the wrong address and proceeds to give me a different one.

What I do NOT tell her is that I see FIVE other orders on this account in the past two weeks, ALL being sent to different addresses (within the same geographical area - shocking!). There are also notes on the account that our Fraud department is watching this one and do not, repeat not, send out any more phones.

So I tell her nonchalantly I see where she's apparently been having issues getting phones delivered and I will be happy to send another one...but ONLY to her local <red checkmark> store, where she will be required to show ID to pick it up.

Ms. Syrupy sweet then becomes distinctly not so sweet and does the following in short order: 1) Accuses me of looking at the wrong account (Nope - I triple checked), 2) States that I MUST send another phone out because a manager already approved it (wrong!), 3) Says if I don't send a phone out she'll report us to the BBB (Good luck with that...)

I reiterate the only way she is getting a phone is to pick it up at a store with ID and she promptly disconnects the call.

As I said earlier, Fraud is all over this account now so she won't be getting any more phones (They will auto cancel any order placed or at the very least require additional verification before shipping) but, thanks to my coworkers who apparently don't bother to do much account research, she got us for Two Galaxy S7s, an LG V20 and an Iphone 6S plus. (The fifth order that was placed before she got to me was cancelled by Fraud)

Not the SC we're looking for

I felt a little bad for this guy...to a point.

He comes on my line and immediately launches into a tirade about how much our products suck, our customer service sucks, our network sucks, our prices suck. Then he starts dropping F bombs, calling us this name and that name and on and on. Like, at least 7 solid minutes of this.

As he is ranting I noticed no account has popped up on my screen. When he finally takes a breath I ask him what his number is. He gives it to me but it doesn't come up in my system.

I have a handy tool at work I can use to search numbers and it will tell me what provider (wireless or landline) a number is associated to. Lo and behold the number he gave me belongs to Death Star Wireless.

So, I confirm it one more time to be sure I had it right and then...

"Sir, which carrier are you with?"

"What kind of stupid question is that??? I'm with DEATH STAR!"

"Okay, well this is <Red Checkmark>, I don't think we'll be able to do much for you."

"Ah, dammit!" *CLICK*

And another one bites the dust.

Robbing people with a six gun..

Customer is very, VERY upset with us (his words!) beacuse he's switched phones and now can't figure out how to get his Torrents on to his new device. He openly admits the torrents are downloads of movies, tv shows etc that he did NOT pay for.

But here's the kicker: He's not so much upset that he can't get his Torrents back but about the fact that we refuse to HELP him to do so.

"Oh absolutely sir, no problem, I'll get you all that illegal stuff back in no time!" -

Google is your friend, you moron.

Customer standard time II: The Revenge!

It amazes me how few people actually want to take responsibility for their own mistakes:

Exhibit A:

Okay, maybe we did forget to add insurance to your account when you got the phone but apparently you didn't pay attention to your bills for SEVEN MONTHS, only realizing you didn't have insurance when it got stolen and you tried to make a claim.

Despite your assurances to the contrary sir, this very much IS your problem.

Exhibit B:

You called to cancel a line. It wasn't cancelled. Now you're calling us EIGHTEEN MONTHS later wanting credit for every single month it was supposed to have been cancelled. There are no notes saying you wanted to cancel and no notes where you called back in to see why it WASN'T cancelled. DENIED!

Exhibit C:

No, you can't return a phone to the store after having had it for SIX MONTHS. No that's not an unfair return policy. No you can't get a credit because your phone sucks.

Do you believe in Magic?

Apparently the answer is yes because here you are on my line expecting me to fix a phone that you DON'T EVEN HAVE WITH YOU! Yes, technology is great these days and we can do some things remotely, but in order to diagnose your problem I'd need you to do something on your phone that you are obviously unable to.

Let me guess: You're the same kind of guy who calls his mechanic to find out what's wrong with his car?

Mission Impossible VI: Uber Suck

Guy calls up because has a problem with his <Red Checkmark> internet service. It seems he's been calling month after month because his bill is always wrong.

No problem sir, but at this department we only handle cell phones. The internet billing department is closed for the night but here's there number and you give them a call...

SC: WHAT?? WHY the HELL are you giving me their number? I don't need their number, I need my bill fixed!

Me: Yes and you'll have to call them to address that.

SC: Bullshit. I don't believe you, you're just trying to get out of helping me.

Me: I'd love to help you if I could sir, but--

SC: Okay wiseguy, let me ask you a question: What company do you work for?

(In my head I hear Admiral Ackbar screaming: It's a trap!)

Me: I work for <Red Checkmark>

SC: Bingo. Now, at the top of my bill it says, <Red Checkmark>. See how that works? I pay the company for service, you work for the company, I'm not satified with the service, therefore it's YOUR job to help me!

Me: As I said earlier, I would love to help sir but I do not have access to the systems required nor the training to use them. We do not handle internet service at this department.

SC: But you're <red checkmark>!

Me: Yes but we have different departments with different capabilities in this company and this particular department can't do anything to help you.

SC: Bullshit, let me talk to a manager!

Me: I can put you on with a manager, but I want to make it clear: That person will not be able to help you either.

SC: I don't care! I want a manager!

Me: Please a hold a moment.

Take one guess how this ended. ONE.

Wifi whackjob

<Red Checkmark> has started rolling out wifi calling. It's pretty neat. If you're in area where the cell service sucks but you can connect to wifi, you can make calls and send text messages using that connection. I've used it myself before with good results.

So I get a call from this guy demanding a signal booster. I explain all the phones he has can do wifi calling. I can set you up in a few minutes, no extra equipment needed and you'll be good to go.

Dude, flies off the handle and starts complaining about how stupid it is that he has to use his wifi connection, that he pays for separately from his cell phone bill, to make calls.

"Sir, do you use Netflix at all?"

"Yeah, all the time. Why?"

"And you pay for it right?"

"Yeah...."

"And it uses the internet connection you also pay for, right?"

"...."

HA! Got you, didn't I?!

Of course he continues ranting on how that's different, so then I reply: "Well okay, how about this, have you bought a game off the App store?"

This pisses him off even more. I am trying so hard not to laugh because I know I've blown a Texas sized hole in his master plan.

After realizing he's not going to get anywhere with me he demands a manager. Shockingly, he didn't get far with her either.

Thanks for playing though!
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 04-02-2017, 06:36 PM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

So the insurance one I went almost a whole year with out noticing it because I didn't need it till I went to do something on my phone I pay the bill and move a long so its not something im looking for since its a small charge on my huge bill I have t mobile and im forever having issues with them I have 2 lines that are FREE because I bought them on a black firday deal they are motion devices for our cars the device and line are FREE despite the fact they keep billing me for them and I keep calling every month and they issue credits every month the only reason I notice is because it make my bill 50 dollars more then it should be.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

Robbing people with a six gun..

I miss my movies and I feel so bad, I guess my race is run. Well they're the best time I ever had......
      Last edited by EricKei; 04-04-2017, 11:45 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

If the scammers are in a call center it's very possible they don't know what they're doing is a scam. To them it may just be a job because the higher-ups have convinced them what they are doing is fine / everyone does it / they aren't hurting anyone / blah blah blah. It's hard to get a big group of people to knowingly behave unethically. You have to throw a hefty dose of justification in there, and there's no better justification than ignorance of the rules. Plus that way the higher ups keep the money while paying the schlubs doing the calling peanuts.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

You might be amased at how easy it is to find groups of people that have no problems engaging in immoral and unethical activities for personal benefit with almost no regard to consequences. Politicians immediately come to mind.

===

Magic-Fix-My-Phone Guy is the same guy that calls auto parts stores and wants us to tell him what part needs to be replaced, even better if the used part he just pulled off a totally different car will fix his problem. Yes, we take calls like that all day.

I had a classmate that wanted to know if I knew anyone capable of installing an engine (GM) from one vehicle mated to a tranny (Ford) from another vehicle in a totally different vehicle (MoPar), and if said person would do it for a case of beer. Yeah, sure, just call up the guys at Gas Monkey Garage and ask them that. If you are lucky, they will just hang up on you.

Comment

Heh heh heh. Deep in my past, I worked for an antique car dealer. High end. I got to ride in Deusenbergs, OLD Rolls's and Jags, and other fun stuff.

They put a large Chevy engine in a Jag for Doc Severinson. I got to ride in it when they delivered it. This was nearly 40 years ago, and I can promise you, after months in the shop, it was NOT a case of beer Mr. Severinson paid for that work... Even back then it was thousands of dollars.

Comment

I know quite a few people who have done the "engine from X, trans from Y, into car Z" thing.

Most of them do it in part as an engineering challenge--because it is. There is quite a bit of engineering, design, and fabrication to be done. There are a few simpler swaps (e.g., the X engine actually does bolt to the Y transmission) but even at its simplest there is a whole ton of work to do!

Which is great if you're doing the work for fun and to create something, but is very pricey when you're paying someone to do it.

A case of beer? Uh, no. Maybe for a quarter-share in a good-sized brewery...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                I know quite a few people who have done the "engine from X, trans from Y, into car Z" thing.
                Well, there is that old story about the guy that put a Lincoln motor into a Model A.

Part 1 (Referred to in opening verse of Part 2.

Part 2
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Engine swaps aren't as easy as they sound. On the TDIClub forums, people occasionally talk about salvaging a good engine and transmission from a wreck or rustbucket by transplanting them into a good chassis that's infested with a gas engine. This is a fairly difficult job - even though the chassis getting the TDI engine is one where the engine being swapped in was one of the engines it could have been ordered with when new.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                    If the scammers are in a call center it's very possible they don't know what they're doing is a scam. To them it may just be a job because the higher-ups have convinced them what they are doing is fine / everyone does it / they aren't hurting anyone / blah blah blah. It's hard to get a big group of people to knowingly behave unethically. You have to throw a hefty dose of justification in there, and there's no better justification than ignorance of the rules. Plus that way the higher ups keep the money while paying the schlubs doing the calling peanuts.
                    My mom is on a high-priority target list for just about every scammer group out there. Out of idle curiosity, I will sometimes engage the "You must update the Windows now as you are having a virus" and "It is necessary for me to reset the bank access for you now" callers.

I ask questions like "How do you deal with the fact that you scam people?" "Didn't you plan to do something better with your life?"and "How would you feel if this were your mom?" Their answers have made it quite clear: They know darn well they are scamming, and they rationalize it by thinking of Americans and Canadians as sub-human. Google "Indian scam call center" - there are some truly fascinating and very sad tales of how they work.

Comment

I've had wifi calling on my phone for years now through Magenta Wireless. I rarely use it, but it was great when I went to visit my now ex who lives out in the boonies that you can't get a phone signal, but they have internet.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        Most of them do it in part as an engineering challenge--because it is.
                        Especially if it's "One Piece At A Time", and strung out over several years...
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My MIL told us she got the "Hi, Grandma, it's your favorite grandson" call. She said she knew it was a scam and hung up in their ear - as she put it, "I don't have a grandson with an Indian accent!"

Comment

Working...
                          X