This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    There was a short-lived soft drink called SunApple, whose slogan was "What tastes like apple on ice?". One Friday, during the break between Dukes and Dallas, the signal cutover happened in a funny manner. There was a SunApple commercial on, and immediately after the voiceover asked "What tastes like apple on ice?", the signal was cut over, and there was a cosmetics commercial with the voiceover "New adjustable mascara from Maybelene".
    Back when Laugh-In was being aired, the commercial breaks allowed local merchants to have ads broadcast. At the beginning of one such break, Laugh-In had a short clip of Arte Johnson in his WW2 German outfit saying, "If you think that was stupid, watch this!" The ad that followed was for a local car dealership with a fake Arte Johnson in a WW2 German outfit. It was a hilarious coincidence.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      Back when Laugh-In was being aired, the commercial breaks allowed local merchants to have ads broadcast. At the beginning of one such break, Laugh-In had a short clip of Arte Johnson in his WW2 German outfit saying, "If you think that was stupid, watch this!" The ad that followed was for a local car dealership with a fake Arte Johnson in a WW2 German outfit. It was a hilarious coincidence.
      Veddy interesting - but not stupid.

Comment

I was scanning radio stations and, in rapid succession, I got an ad aimed at younger women and a religious program.

Female voice: Honey! I just got the results of my Acme Home Pregnancy Test!

Male voice: Hail Mary, full of grace...

Also once heard an anti-drug pubic service announcement that was put on by mistake and quickly yanked in favor of a department store ad.
        Thinking of trying pot? Macy's White Flower Day sale begins today.

Comment

Just as a side note on the Friday thing: On FOX, in particular, the Friday night pre-Watershed time period (after the evening news but before the late news/7~10 or so) was (and is) often referred to the "Friday Night Death Slot." The network is notorious for shoving shows there that they want to LOSE viewership to make it easier to get them cancelled. On the other hand, some shows are doomed from the start by this practice -- Firefly spent its entire run (one season) being played, out of order (even though it was meant to be viewed sequentially), during the Death Slot; it was also very, very poorly/deceptively marketed by FOX.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You guys make me wonder why I pay for TV the 3 channels I use really are A&E, FYI and Nick JR.... Oh don't take away Nick JR my son will flip on someone one. When I called and redid my contract and they took Nick JR away after telling the bozo I couldn't down grade from premier channels he did it anyways. Then the next bozo gave me wrong pricing then then next person told me I had to down grade my internet speed then the next person my HUSBAND called and spoke with a supervisor who gave me the price I was quoted or someone wasn't going to like me much.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              And beyond that I'm grateful for netflix and youtube. I rarely turn on my actual TV.
              Netflix and other online streaming is great. Have an AppleTV with the Netflix app, and will ocassionally push video from the kids that iPad app to the ATV for my son to watch instead of having to use the tablet. TV gets used, but not for free to air

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                DGC - Friday night. Where TV shows go to die v_v
                Unfortunately, for The A-Team, that was the case. It was cancelled after 13 epsisodes. Apparently a lot of the fans couldn't get used to the idea of the team working for a shadowy government agency in return for a presidential pardon (or that's what the premise of the final season was.)

Quoth wolfie View Post
                IIRC, that's the place where Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas spent their entire runs (both were long-running series).
                So did Falcon Crest, which aired at 10 pm. on Friday nights right after Dallas.

Speaking of Laugh-In, the very first scene of the premiere episode featured Leo G. Carroll in a scene where he's tending bar . . . . the series was given the slot previously occupied by "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".

Simply priceless.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQdM-Cf995g

Can anyone tell that I practically grew up in front of a television set?
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Here we only get bits of something when talking about tv series. I saw MacGyver when it was on, but never heard about Stargate. But now I have full set of Stargate, Stargate atlantis and Sg universe. Pretty happy me and waiting for Torchwood now. Too bad I can not find Farscape.

Comment

Quoth Web_Pict View Post
                    Too bad I can not find Farscape.
                    It is available on Amazon in the US.

Comment

It is available on Amazon in the US.
                      Yeah, I afraid it will not help me..
                      An European here.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post

Also once heard an anti-drug pubic service announcement...
                        No you didn't.Unless you really heard a set of talking genitals telling you 'hey kids don't do drugs (because if you do,you end up hearing talking genitals)',then spellcheck is your friend
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Web_Pict View Post
                          An European here.
                          I have the same problem with titles only available over there.

Comment

Quoth Web_Pict View Post
                            An European here.
                            Well, it's definitely sold in the UK, they even have a new version of it in the Megabook format

While you're at it, if you haven't already, check out Babylon 5. That's the show that proved you could have a coherent arc over multiple seasons (until the networks pissed on that concept )
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                            X