Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since commercial style shopping carts cost around $150 to $200 I'm surprised stores don't keep better track of them, and put more effort into collecting the wayward ones.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Depends on the area. You better believe the grocery store downtown near a an area where a lot of homeless people congregate, and near an area where there are a lot of lofts but not a lot of parking, has those "lock the wheels" things. They'd lose 20-50 carts a day if they didn't.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
        Grocery delivery is fabulous. It saves so much energy.
        Oh, gods, yes. My local charges a $4.95 fee, and they'll waive that if you order more than $100. Cat food, litter, pop, much less the regular stuff . . . even for single me, $100 is pretty easy.

And with my back and knee issues, carrying cat food/litter/pop . . . I get delivery about every ten days. Makes my life so much easier.

Comment

I'm a little short this month can I borrow a cat? my landlord has put me on final warning.

my landlord: https://vtbarcounsel.files.wordpress...016/12/alf.jpg
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

OWWW!! My brain hurts from the first one...is there a group home or institution in your neck of the woods?
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
              I said yes, and he said "Oh, HE MAD". Apparently, said caller had loaded the abandoned cart into the back of his pickup truck, driven to the store, thrown the cart out of the bed onto the pavement, then gotten in the cart clerk's face screaming about "THE LAW", and concluded by saying "If this happens again, I'm gonna find that manager who wouldn't send anyone out, and SHOVE THE CART UP HIS ASS".
              Soooo... fill out a police report about the threat, the criminal mischief and/or damage to property done to the cart (those things are expensive!) and trespass this bum for life? Crazy shouldn't be allowed to go unchecked.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                As for the carts, I'm constantly amazed at how far some of those get from the stores.
                I saw one on Saturday that I think was from Blue Electronics Store. It was in a drainage pond, but still looked mostly clean, so it hadn't been there too long. I'm pretty sure the nearest store is over 2 miles away, and there are no sidewalks and precious little road shoulder to push one that far. Unless it was from Mallwart. Are their carts blue? That's only a mile away. Same deal with sidewalks and shoulders, though. Why would it be abandoned in a random pond, not near any housing? That means they probably wheeled it home, and then realized they needed to dispose of the evidence somewhere else, so they had to wheel it to another shopping strip. And the pond wasn't deep enough to hide the body.
                Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Here around nearly every store has a very simple system, so you don't see this behavior very often.

You have to put a coin (mostly 1 EUR) into the cart, to retrieve the cart from the cart-station. You only get the coin back, if you put the cart back.

Looks like this
                  http://www.lto.de/fileadmin/_process...517490f46b.jpg

http://www.supermarktblog.com/wp-con...idlkoeln02.jpg
                  Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Quoth Zeddi View Post
                    Here around nearly every store has a very simple system, so you don't see this behavior very often.

You have to put a coin (mostly 1 EUR) into the cart, to retrieve the cart from the cart-station. You only get the coin back, if you put the cart back.
                    Aldi has that too here in the states. It makes a lot of sense, though at first I wondered if it might not produce the Israeli daycare effectl - basically, people thinking they could do whatever they liked with the carts because they'd paid for the privilege. I guess the quarter (and the fact that you get the quarter back) just serves as a gentle reminder that Aldi really doesn't want their shopping carts left rolling around.

Plus, when I see someone digging through their purse/pockets for a quarter and getting frustrated, I get a kick out of giving my cart to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X