Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...Woo-Oo! (It's back and it doesn't suck!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...Woo-Oo! (It's back and it doesn't suck!)

Ducktales 2017, ladies and gents. From the people who make it, so it's official/nice and legal.

No worries; no plot spoilers:

So far, 15 minutes in...:

Donald is still damn near incomprehensible...but, like his Euro comic version, he's a former badass adventurer.

Scrooge is a retired badass adventurer. Still disgustingly rich.

Mrs Beakley is actually kinda cool and unperturbable.

On her first appearance, Webby is wielding a kris and implies that she's a trained martial artist.

The 3 nephews are...well...the three nephews.

So, yeah...Different but still looking and sounding pretty damn good.

PS: Stay tuned to the very end.
    Last edited by EricKei; 08-16-2017, 01:16 AM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Yup, a great start and I'm eager for more. Sadly we need to wait till September for the rest I think; but Season 2 is already being filmed/animated.

And the name dropping in the first 5 minutes makes me want more, More, MORE!
    Cape Suzzette, Saint Canard and Spoonerville all in the beginning. (Just namedrops but still...)

I want me my Disney Afternoon again.

Comment

Yeah. Can't quite place Spoonerville. That Goofy's home town???

As for the characters -- I am so relieved just to see Webby NOT being the whiny, annoying little Scrappy Doo of this show. Her part is comparatively small, but she fits in well ("So, which one of you is the evil twin?"). Good to see Flintheart Glomgold back, too.

Good times.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Yeah. Can't quite place Spoonerville. That Goofy's home town???
        From Goof Troop, yes.

I grew up on the original cartoon so I'll get this out right now: this version will not replace the original for me. That said, it is a very worthy successor to the crown, or top hat as it may be.

I do like the new characterizations, especially Donald who is more than just an incompetent screw up that's barely seen. I would swear that the writers are doing double duty on this and the Sonic Boom cartoon as there are similarities, especially with Webby who is almost an expy to Amy from SB. As for Mrs. Beakly, I like the new character, but the fans of the show are praising her more than I feel is accurate considering we haven't seen her really do much apart from nearly stab Scrooge with a pen. Jury's still out on that for the time being for me.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Yeah, it's about 40 or 50 episodes too soon to even begin to truly compare it with the original. Good ol' 90's DT still holds a place in my heart ^__^ I think that this is a worthy follow-up, however, and that it looks like it's being made by people who loved the original. Contrast with, say, Teen Titans Go, or ANY of the PPG remakes (US or Japanese)....*shudder*

I was gonna compare it to the Netflix Voltron, except...well...I've rewatched some of the original (lion) Voltron series; while it's still a blast, it doesn't compare to the NF version.

Comment

I told my wife about the "DuckTales" revival. She watched the "pilot" (I guess that's what it is). She said she liked it, but it wasn't as good as the original. She thought it was odd that they basically had all of the ducks except for Scrooge appear as this off-white color. And she didn't like how the characters were drawn. IIRC, in the original, Huey, Dewey, and Louie all had rounder heads. She also didn't like that they were mischievous, but in an "older" way (spoiler: like one of them trying to hot-wire the boat)

She's gonna try to watch it again today (we actually have Disney XD), so we'll see what happens.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

The animation style and character design harkens back to the original Carl Bank's comics more so than to the original cartoon, so that's probably a bit jarring to some folk. The storylines and characterizations seem to be drawing from the comics as much from the toon as well.

Also, since the producer and art director are from Gravity Falls, there have been a lot of similarities noted there as well.

Spoonerville is from Gooftroop. Apparently they've already said that Drake Mallard (AKA Darkwing Duck) will have an appearance in the series at some point too.

Comment

TBH, I'll be overjoyed if this ends up being the *second* excellent DT TV series -- each one standing alone, on its own merits. ^___^ Only time will tell.

Jetfire: On the CB comics -- I seem to recall an interview (or whatever) some time back suggesting that that is exactly what they were going for. Being skewed more towards the comics (esp. European ones such as Paperinik) would also explain Donald being a (former) badass all of a sudden. On Darkwing: There has been fan speculation for years (and varying, sometimes contradictory statements from the people who made DT Classic) about DW/St Canard being canon within the DT universe. If nothing else, I look forward to there being an official crossover, even if it's just a shout-out/brief cameo.

As for the round heads: They look like little white feathered basketballs to me in this version anyway o_O (edit: On second glance - yeah, squared-off basketballs, good point)
                Last edited by EricKei; 08-19-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  On Darkwing: There has been fan speculation for years (and varying, sometimes contradictory statements from the people who made DT Classic) about DW/St Canard being canon within the DT universe.
                  That's not speculation, the two are linked. Launchpad specifically mentioned his work with Scrooge when he joined up with DW.

(edit) I also forgot. Gizmoduck was in St. Canard more than once as well.
                  Last edited by lordlundar; 08-18-2017, 04:43 PM.
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I am aware. What I mean is, people who made the show, as I recall, vacillated between saying that they were indeed canon (which makes perfect sense to me) and that they were nearly-identical ducks from different worlds (meaning, DWD Launchpad and DT Launchpad were literally different people).

Comment

Oi, because saying that the canon link is one way because DT was finished before DWD was made is too difficult?
                      I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I think that was the gist of at least one of the theories. As I said, I'm firmly on the side of "Well, DUH, of course they're canon!"

Comment

Yeah, I always assumed that basically Darkwing Duck was the successor to Duck Tales, with Launchpad being the torch bearer between the series, and GizmoDuck cameos being the callbacks.

What the big deal for this series is, was the shoutouts for Spoonerville and Cape Suzzette, potentially tieing in GoofTroop/Goofy and Balloo and friends. With Launchpad's plane stylistically similar to the Sea Duck, it has to be intentional.

If they do go with Talespin eventually, I wonder if they're going to keep it in the 30's or move it up as well. Part of me hopes they leave it back in the 30's, maybe with an occasional call forward to the current time. Ducktales/DWDuck/Gooftroop were always contemporary, but Talespin was Golden Age and fits best back then IMO.

Comment

The Iron Vulture was seen in a sneak preview at SDCC. So Tailspin is confirmed, sort of.
                            Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

I loved Ducktales!
                              Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

Working...
                              X