This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Talon View Post
    I take it Bethesda hasn't improved since Fallout 3?
    Since Fallout 3? Hah! Try since Morrowind.

Comment

Nurian, I meant MEAT THAT YOU EAT!!!!!
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        Nurian, I meant MEAT THAT YOU EAT!!!!!
        Sweetie that wasn't much better :P

I might have to try the demo when it hits xbox. Right now I am just waiting for SWTOR.

I am hooked after the beta weekend.
        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Woe is me.....

My wife left me for skyrim....

She now sits in front of the tv and has me bring her food and tea so she doesnt lose her place...

Woe is me....

maybe I will get a turn if i buy another ps3....

Comment

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
            She now sits in front of the tv and has me bring her food and tea so she doesnt lose her place...
            Tell her the game does have a pause button >.>

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              My boyfriend got it.

I had to giggle MADLY at a video he showed me later of "how to steal stuff".

Here's the video:

And I already posted "Song of Skyrim" in Check it Out!

Anyone got something to drag him away from the compy for 5 minutes?
              I knew exactly which method he was going to use before even clicking on the link.

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              I refuse to play it on the grounds that Mass Effect 3 was pushed back till march cause this game and it were coming out to close together.
              Hardly Bethesda/Skyrims fault, more probably EA deciding to push it back because, while it is a bit niche, it's still a big release, films and games do this all the time. Hardly anyones fault though.

Quoth Iseeyouthere View Post
              I got it.

While people have been making it out as the second coming of Christ or the cure for cancer in terms of how good it is, I go meh.

Yeah. Its fun. But nothing someone can't wait for.
              As a veteran of the elder scrolls series, I have to say, this game blew me away, visually, and gameplay wise, sure, it's got a few Betheda/Gamebryo quirks, I wont deny that, but overall the experience is fantastic.

This is the game I've been waiting for since Morrowind. It's highly immersive, much more than oblivion, hell, guards actually talk to you about your weapon and armour preferences. The locations are simply stunning (Seriously, go to Markath, if your jaw doesn't drop there, I pity you)

I don't think a game has made me go Holy Crap so much. Although, Dragons are getting a bit annoying, I've encountered 15-17 in 25 hours of play, so roughly one every two hours, rather big fights, that net very little (perhaps if they had a hoard you could get I'd find them more worth it)

Voice work is much better, having a much bigger cast, the NPCs have much better personalities (albeit a lot of them are racist, xenophobic N'wahs, but that kinda adds, especially when you get to beat the crap out of them and gain money from it) The Bards in the various inns are fantastic too. A few of the random encounters are hilarious too, plus M'aiq is back!

I'll load up some screenshots when Steam Screenshots is back up and running.

Yet another funny Skyrim trailer (no spoilers)
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

It's being installed to my Xbox hard drive now! I can't wait! *drools*
                I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Screenshot time! (As said, no spoilers)

This game is Beautiful

Holy crao what, when it rains ripples show up on water?!

You appear to have stumbled, here, let me help you up

I don't quite get the logic in how this works, but it does!

Getting married in my finest Elven finery.

Comment

Yeah, I got attacked by ghosts and my arrows were sticking out of them just like regular flesh and blood enemies.
                    Weird.
                    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

...they have to become corporeal in order to affect people such as yourself?

Also, MEIN GOTT THE HORSE KICKS BUTT. D: Mine tried to kill a flipping dragon last night! I kept whimpering, hoping I wasn't going to have to drop another 1k gold.
                      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Shhhh, I'll make it all better.

And yeah, gotta love the scenery.

It's not the Gamebryo engine though, its propriety this time. Its a rather nice engine too. It looks beautiful, runs like silk and hasn't crashed on me once yet.

There is only one thing left to say.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                          ...they have to become corporeal in order to affect people such as yourself?

Also, MEIN GOTT THE HORSE KICKS BUTT. D: Mine tried to kill a flipping dragon last night! I kept whimpering, hoping I wasn't going to have to drop another 1k gold.
                          Silly logic getting in the way of Magic! As for horses, just wait till/if you play the Dark Brotherhood Questline (which, to be honest i found more boring and shorter than Oblivions) Everyones favourite Red eyered, dark horse appears (as doe shis/her former master, in a rathe runexpected way)

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                          Shhhh, I'll make it all better.

And yeah, gotta love the scenery.

It's not the Gamebryo engine though, its propriety this time. Its a rather nice engine too. It looks beautiful, runs like silk and hasn't crashed on me once yet.

There is only one thing left to say.
                          It's a modified version of the Gamebryo engine, same as how Fallout 3/New Vegas were modified versions of the Gamebryo (and infact how Oblivion Gamebryo was a modified version of Morriwnds Gamebryo) It still has the characteristic roughness of bethesda games (that other gambryo games don't seem to have) It's just got enough modifications for them to want to call it something new (as if it's an entirely new engine, when infact it isn't)

That said, it's definately a nicer experince, but i think that is as much because of the time they spend making it an immersive and dynamic world. Sadly, in 8 years and with 4 games all using practically the same engine, they've never quite gotten the UI right (skyrims UI is pretty terrible for a PC game)
                          Last edited by RayvenQ; 11-16-2011, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                            It's a modified version of the Gamebryo engine, same as how Fallout 3/New Vegas were modified versions of the Gamebryo (and infact how Oblivion Gamebryo was a modified version of Morriwnds Gamebryo) It still has the characteristic roughness of bethesda games (that other gambryo games don't seem to have) It's just got enough modifications for them to want to call it something new (as if it's an entirely new engine, when infact it isn't)
                            Its not, actually. It was originally going to be, but they ended up rewriting so much of Gamebryo they went "Fuck it, we'll just do the whole thing" and built a new engine. Its based on Gamebryo, sure, but its not actually Gamebryo. Thank god. Its less rough than Gamebryo and much more stable, but Bethesda's a rough development studio to begin with. They have a bad habit of letting modders fix everything. I'm glad they actually put some effort into it this time.

Gamebryo is a rough, crappy engine though. The only really non-rough Gamebryo based game that comes to mind is Rift. Which is a miracle, really. Everything else done with it has been....rough. DaoC, Warhammer, Divinity, Bully, etc. They all share a characteristic feeling of unresponsiveness that is the trademark of Gamebryo. >.>

The UI is ass in Skyrim because the UI was made for consoles and no consideration was really made for PC controls. They basically slapped on mouse support and rebound the buttons.

I am glad they put effort into making a rich, dynamic world this time. Oblivion was awful if you were looking for any sort of characters or story or anything. They learned a lot of lessons with Fallout 3 and I'm glad they seem to have carried into Skyrim.

Comment

The only really non-rough Gamebryo based game that comes to mind is Rift.
                              <offtopic sparkleeyes> I love my saboteur. Also, this reminds me that I have no checked my auctions since Skyrim. <.<

My daughter thanked God in her prayers last night for "Derpy, ponies, dragons, and BOOSH!" I'm going to call her My Little Dovahkiin now. ^^
                              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Aah, that's better

Morrowind font

Get it here: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=95

Comment

Working...
                                X