• Show
Clear All

My 2011 year in review....

Left a highly stressful job

Moved to upstate New York and got an awesome house

Got a new job working from home

Got a puppy (mixed breed)

Sold my car

SO got a great job with a great boss and it's minutes from the house!
    Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 01-02-2012, 05:54 AM.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Uhhh stuff. Erm *digs around in old notes* Aha!! Stuff that happened!!

1. I got a Wii. It was a semi-impulse buy though I had been seriously considering getting one for a few months beforehand and we found a brilliant package deal (non-family console, extra Wiimote and nunchuck, Fit Plus, Play and a silicone mat for the Balance Board on wooden floors - all for about £300) at our local computery place. It is so awesome - though I'm revealing I'm a bit of a crap gamer since all the games I have are 'Wii Something'. XD

2. Student Nationals in Sheffield!! Got about six pages of great quotes from the weekend's two Supers roleplays and one dude in our group rightfully won the category because he basically warped his character into our big bad for the last battle (quoth the DM: This is great!! My players are fighting each other, I don't need to make up plot any more!!). And Cardiff won!! So a shorter journey for us next year

3. My housemate's friend Miki came over from Japan to visit and watch the Royal Wedding with us. She's sooooo awesome - and she taught me how to write my name in hiregana. ^^

4. Two of our great friends from uni got married. ^^ Bride's dress was loooooooovely and I have the contact for her dressmaker. And also interestingly the groom, ushers, and both fathers wore the same lovely ivory and purple swirly waistcoat and cravat combination, which is something I liked muchly. Best wedding I've ever been to. Oh and the best man's speech was a Powerpoint presentation.

5. Housemate and I went to Guernsey to visit a friend. It's suuuuuch a nice place. Warm weather, history, stuff to see, CHEAP PETROL AND NO VAT ahem, and Herm island (just off the coast of Guernsey, one takes a 20 min ferry) has no cars and a gorgeous beach called Shell Beach.
      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

- I proposed last Christmas, and then we got married in May - I think the highlight of being married is the titanium rings that we had made. They suit both of us so well and I smile every time I see it on my finger.

- Settled into a good job, and have been given more responsibility for next year. It's been a year full of learning and interesting things, all of which should help me going forward.

- Started my degree, which is interesting so far! I'm enjoying it :-)

- Husband got a new job which is far more interesting than his last, pays more and is going to go further than his old one - and he's completely stunned them with how much he can do. I am absolutely bursting with pride in him because it's made such a change in his confidence.

- We went to the Dorset Steam Fair and camped, which was amazing - I think we will be going back this year!

Overall, it's been a really good year - everything's settled down and I'm feeling a lot more confident about coping with projects and challenges for 2012. I'm hoping it will be as good!
        I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Welcome to the club! Any questions, just ask me. I've been here a while....
          Well, I love IPAs and I know those aren't your favorite. Not that I'd turn down a good brown (I found Moose Drool at the store for New Years!) but if I have a choice, it's usually an IPA.

Comment

Excellent thread Jester. Its made me process what at first seemed to be another year of "bleh" and find some pretty good spots

Couple of biggies first:
            My anxiety ridden social-phobic & somewhat agoraphobic daughter has been brave enough to get out of the house and go to town by herself on a few occasions... which given her past history is quite amazing.

Two days before Christmas, mum found out that an ulcerous mark on her tongue was benign and not the cancer she was worrying about.

My son won a Student of the Year award at college, the only one doing his particular course to do so.

One of my daughters shopping trips, only this time she took my mother with her, was to buy my Christmas present early... a cute & slightly insane guinea pig (I'd lost my poor Katie earlier in the year to stomach problems).

I appear to be getting over the "heartache" I've been suffering for the last couple of years, although I'm still very single.

I also discovered that although wine really disagrees with me these days, I can drink mead & its much nicer.

I finally found the best eating plan for me that doesn't upset my stomach, give me sugar crashes & is letting me gradually lose weight
            Also, over the Christmas period I've worked out that its not just gluten I have problems with, it seems that processed grains in general don't like me, so that's another plus in making me feel good!

I found a personal trainer with a great attitude. When I answered one of his questions partly with "obviously, to lose weight" he replied.. "why obviously?"

I finally said something to my ex in-laws about my kids father, calmly and succinctly.
            Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

This year I:
              - Started on my 100 hours of driving.
              - Grew loads of fruit and veggies (including 17+ kg of accidental tomatoes).
              - Did not give into the pressure to reconcile with my abusive mother.
              - Made up with a childhood friend.
              - Started speech therapy with Jazzy, and she's doing really well!
              - Accidentally intimidated a bodybuilder.
              - Went on our first family holiday.
              - Painted the girls bedroom hot pink, threw some paint at two canvases, and sewed some awesome curtains. It's so pretty.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Like this thread!

Let's see:

Still with my awesome bf, longest relationship I've head!

Crazy sick Riley cat is still sick and crazy, but doing great

Morgan cat started acting like a kitten again

Climbed 3 more 4000' mountains in NH, getting a bit closer to all 48.

Still at my job

Got to be better friends with a pretty cool person

Became a soccer fan and follower of the Revs, hope to meet more cool people from this in the upcoming season. Meet a few players as well

Hmm....making this post, 2011 was pretty decent!
                "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Best things about 2011
                  1) Got my first job and it was actually something I enjoyed
                  2) Got to see my grandparents in NY for the first time in almost two years
                  3) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 midnight showing!
                  4) Got straight As last semester for the first time in my college career with some of my toughest classes
                  5) Went to NYC and saw the Rockettes and all the Christmas decorations
                  6) Went to Harry Potter World with my family
                  7) Spent quality time with my best friend since kindergarten
                  8) Made Peanut brittle and peppermint bark by myself for the first time and they came out great
                  9) Went ice skating
                  10) Little Sis went off to college and got all As and made lots of friends
                  And lots of other things but figured I'd stop at 10!
                  Sometimes the noise in your closet is just a chicken loving cross-dresser ~Lixxle

When I'm not fair, it's because I'm too busy being fun ~Dana

Comment

Lets see good stuff:

Went to almost every homer Sounder game (is it March yet) and had a blast

Finally got over some of my shyness and started helping with the TIFO displays that the supporter group puts together. worked on 3 this year hope to do more next year.

Started going to away viewings with the local sub group, we will not be hermits

Started going to the gym

And started to not let things get to me so much.
                    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post

Went to almost every homer Sounder game (is it March yet) and had a blast
                      See, I love winter, but since we are lacking snow (to hike in) I too, long for March
                      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                        Well, I love IPAs and I know those aren't your favorite. Not that I'd turn down a good brown (I found Moose Drool at the store for New Years!) but if I have a choice, it's usually an IPA.
                        I LOVE Moose Drool...wish we could get it here. But since we can't, I grab at least a pint or two every time I go home to Phoenix. Usually at the same bar, which I went to the first time in September 2010, and yet the one bartender/manager there recognizes me and remembers me every time I go. Wild.

As for IPAs, while I am not a huge fan of them, I can perhaps guide you to some degree, as I have some knowledge of quite a few of them, and know what my IPA drinking friends like. No, I can't be as helpful with IPAs as I can with most other styles, but I can still be somewhat helpful.

Quoth Cazzi View Post
                        Excellent thread Jester. Its made me process what at first seemed to be another year of "bleh" and find some pretty good spots
                        Why, thank you! One of the nicest things anyone said to me today...and a lot of people said a lot of nice things to me today. (It was a great Magic Wednesday today....)

Quoth Cat View Post
                        Climbed 3 more 4000' mountains in NH, getting a bit closer to all 48.
                        How much closer? As in, of the 48, how many have you climbed so far?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

This past year has been one heck of a beat down for me but let me think of the good...

* A started a new job! Yay! Back in wine again!
                          * My son started talking and just amazes me each day
                          * One of our best friends got married to an AMAZING chick! and my other best friend was proposed to and will be married in April! While this is a tough subject for me personally, I honestly couldn't be happier for them!

um...that's all I can think of. The goal this year will be to check in a year from now with at least double the list!
                          Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Got married October 1.

Other than that, a pretty standard year.
                            There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

Congratulations on your marriage, AtDIelement! Wishing you both a long and healthy life together
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Let's see.....

Moved out of mom and dad and into my own apt (finally!)

went on a girls only weekend to the beach

got engaged!
                                2 wks later - got out of the relationship that had suddenly pulled a 180 on me...

Found out exactly how strong I am

found out that i had horribly misjudged a few people and ended up with some really amazing friends

got asked to be a bridesmaid in a friends wedding (and this one will actually happen!)

Went to Vegas for mom & dad's 21st wedding annv.

found a new dentist, and got a horribly broken and painful tooth pulled.

went to guided meditation spiritual workshops, found out who my patron deity is

(made out with a handful of amazing kissers (post breakup))
                                I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
                                X