Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make the noise stop!!! (A Christmas rant.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make the noise stop!!! (A Christmas rant.)

There is a [Famous Food Company] plant that makes coffee in my town. It is located on the next street over from the main road that my condo complex is off of. Monday morning I was woken up at 3am by this..noise. A constant low roar. I could not tell where the hell it was coming from, partly because while the factory is on one side, the noise travels and echoes back and when standing at my door sounds more like it's coming from somewhere in the opposite direction. I could still hear it when I left for work, and still when I got home from work in the afternoon. So later I took out the trash and I could tell the roar was definitely coming from a particular direction, so I decided to take a walk. Went across the highway, cut through a parking lot that goes across to the street behind, and back up past the factory. Which has been spewing white clouds of steam or smoke or whatever, but that's not unusual. But as far as I can tell, the noise is coming from their smokestack. And it is driving me insane.

After breakfast and gift-opening at my parents' house, I decided to drop my stuff off at home and brush my teeth before going to my uncle's for dinner, and I came a back way down the road the factory is on, and sure enough, it was still going as I drove by. And is still going on now. I can't imagine this isn't violating some kind of noise ordinance. I've been here almost a year and I have heard this once before (several weeks ago as I was getting ready for bed. At first I thought it was a plane but it didn't stop) but it didn't last this long. My dad suggested they might be scrubbing their smokestacks or something and might take a few days. I don't know. I'm hoping whatever they're doing, they're doing it while they're closed for Christmas (since there were no cars in the parking lot and no lights on in the windows you can see into, and no sign of work going on in the truck bays on the side, I'm guessing they were off yesterday and today) and then maybe it will stop by tomorrow.

Please?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Even an industrial location has noise limits at night. Contact your police non-emergency number and make a noise complaint.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      Even an industrial location has noise limits at night. Contact your police non-emergency number and make a noise complaint.
      I second this. Someone else might already have complained. If they get a lot of complaints they may take action. I've seen concentrated effort by neighborhoods get this kind of thing stopped.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well it's so windy right now that if the noise is still going I can't tell the difference.

Comment

OK, between the noise and my bedroom smelling like pot every weekend because of my neighbors, I am ready to fucking scream.

Comment

Have you considered talking to the neighbors?

I had some that would sit on the stairs and smoke it up, which meant it went right into my apartment because of the building design. I asked them to swap to a different set of stairs, and they were quite accommodating. When they remembered, anyway... Most potheads tend to be a bit clueless about smoke travel.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              ... Most potheads tend to be a bit clueless about smoke travel.
              Doesn't patchouli mask that?
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Have you considered talking to the neighbors?

I had some that would sit on the stairs and smoke it up, which meant it went right into my apartment because of the building design. I asked them to swap to a different set of stairs, and they were quite accommodating. When they remembered, anyway... Most potheads tend to be a bit clueless about smoke travel.

^-.-^
                They're inside their unit. I'm assuming it's the people behind me but I'm not positive.

My dad just came over to check out this noise, and I told him to take that road to drive past the building, and open his window. First words when he came in: "Yeah, that was definitely not there before!" So I am not crazy!!! He sent an email to the public works guy at the township and asked if he knows anything about it. They are building the new facility for the County Prosecutor's office just down the road...I don't imagine they'll put up with that kind of noise for long (assuming it doesn't stop soon). Though I don't know when they are supposed to actually move in. The building's up but it's still looking like a construction site (they got an easement to tap into my complex's water lines and as far as I can tell they are still working on that part; luckily it is at the other side of the complex so the work doesn't interfere with my getting in and out).
                Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X