This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I work for free?

In addition to working retail, I'm a freelance photographer. It's great fun, do a wide range of events,pick and choose what I want to do, and when.

Only problem is getting paid.

One client is a nightclub I work at every week, or more precisely, the company that owns it and a dozen or so others.

You think they'd be professional and pay on time right? Nope.

According to my agreement with them, I'm on a 7 day account. So I turn in my photos and invoice a day or two after the gig, and get paid within 7 days.

Last payment was on the 17th of June for an invoice dated the 26th of May. Someone can't count.

So last week, on the first day of the new financial year here in Aus, I sent them an email asking when I'd get paid for the outstanding invoices (of which there are 5, with a total of $600 owing to me).

Fast forward to today, eight days later, no response. No one attending the phones in their accounts department today either it seems.

I'm getting just a little fed up here.

Just sent a further email saying unless I get a response by the end of the day Friday I'll be withholding services, I might go and shoot at the venue, but I won't publish/submit any photos until I get paid.

Stop, don't go and shoot, even if they don't get the photos that's you doing work for free. If you're not going to get paid for the time go do something fun.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Small Claims Courts in Australia

I was an IT consultant for many years. Here's some tips:
      1. When you first start working with a client, make sure you go and meet the individual in Accounts Payable who will be processing your invoice. Ask what you need to do (layout, numbering, how the individual items are listed, amount limits for signatures, whatever) to make life easy for that person, easy to process your invoice. Then modify your invoice accordingly. And whenever that person goes above and beyond for you, acknowledge their help with a card, or flowers, or whatever. Not bribes before the fact, but a thank you after.
      2. Keep the person-to-person contact going. You never know when that person will tell you something useful (like, the company is in trouble, don't do any more work on credit).
      3. Always always always follow up any unpaid invoice with a polite inquiry to whoever is supposed to sign off on the invoice ("is there a problem I can fix?).
      4. Finally, keep the amount of unpaid invoices below the limit for Small Claims Court, so you can and should go after them the instant you see evidence that they are dicking you about. https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/o...aims-tribunals
      5. Make sure that your documentation to the Court contains a clear statement as to who in the company is the reason why you are suing. That name will come to the notice of the top brass - the individual who is dicking you about may find that it was a career-limiting move (and you can tell him/her that you intend doing that - it may help to get the invoice paid).
      6. If you have to sue to get paid, don't work with that company again, and make sure everyone in your professional circle knows why.

Comment

Got an auto-response to my email. Apparently their only accounts payable officer is on leave until tomorrow. I guess I just have to wait and see what the response will be

Thanks for the tip ASV, I've worked for them since August last year, had a few issues with payments over that period, but until recently it's been pretty regular.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
          Stop, don't go and shoot, even if they don't get the photos that's you doing work for free. If you're not going to get paid for the time go do something fun.
          He should go to the clubs and see if anyone now has the gig.

He should then tell them about his lack of payment.

It is too easy for them to find someone else and then string them along for a couple of months.

Also if they still don't pay in the next month or two he should file in small claims court.

mod edit:
          Quoth prjkt View Post
          Got an auto-response to my email. Apparently their only accounts payable officer is on leave until tomorrow. I guess I just have to wait and see what the response will be

Thanks for the tip ASV, I've worked for them since August last year, had a few issues with payments over that period, but until recently it's been pretty regular.
          I guess I should had read all the messages before posting.
          Last edited by EricKei; 07-10-2014, 12:33 AM. Reason: Let the two become one!

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
            ... their only accounts payable officer is
            in the mail.
            [/FTFY]
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I know that some photographers and graphic artists will splash "PREVIEW" water marks all over their work when it is initially sent out. Then when they get paid, they send the file without the watermark all over it.

Seems like a good idea, could you try that?
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

This is more "instant gratification" and straight to Facebook sort of work.

Update: Did get a payment last night that covers one of the invoices, and spoke to heir accounts officer - most of the remaining should be paid by next Tuesday, apparently the hold up was the venue manager...

Seeing that something is happening, and I did receive something, I'll be there this weekend as normal, but speaking to the manager before starting...

Comment

Well and good to go back, but don't give them anything until they pay what they still owe you.
                  I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
                  X