This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer feedback

Has anyone ever been approached by mgmt about positive customer feedback? It seems like people who work in customer service seem to get so many complaints. So, a couple of years ago I started to make an effort to always follow-up when I get good service by sending an email,letter,calling,whatever. I guess my DH hasn't really noticed what I've been doing. He saw me sending out an email Re: the absolute best store manager I've ever dealt with and asked me why I was bothering. He figures most employees only hear about the complaints not the compliments. So, am I wasting my time?

Once or twice I've had a service desk cashier, CSM, or manager come up to me and tell me that a customer had stopped by the front end just to mention to them that I had given them great service. I didn't really get anything for it other than the warm fuzzy, but it was nice to feel noticed for once. I've also had the occasional customer tell me while waiting in my line that they always came to my line because I was so cheerful and attentive. I think, once, someone said that to my mom (she worked in the local warehouse for the same company, and new a lot of people in the county). So often the employees hear about it, especially if they've got cool enough management who'll actually let them know. By all means, go ahead and continue to compliment.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

When I get great service from someone, I want their manager to know. People have equal amounts of time to compliment and complain, but more time is invested in complaining.
      Op.125

Comment

Quoth Format C
        When I get great service from someone, I want their manager to know. People have equal amounts of time to compliment and complain, but more time is invested in complaining.
        Sometimes it's nice to let the employee know personally. A buddy and I went to Red Robin one night and it happened to be the night of an employee x-mas party. Everyone working their that night was from other locations. I'm sure it wasn't hard to fall into things, but the girl who waited on us was awesome. I made sure to tip her well and write a nice little note on the credit slip (like awesome service or something like that).

Comment

I don't think you're wasting your time, unless you're spending all of your free time sending complimentary e-mails to businesses, just because an employee was pleasant and smiled! But it is certainly justfiable if an Employee goes above and beyond.

Seriously, as was mentioned, it's nice to hear directly from the Customer, but a letter or e-mail will generally go into an employee's file. Where I currently work, we not only get a pat on the back from Store Management, but from Corp. (family run) as well. Plus, we get one or more vouchers for in store purchases worth anywhere from $1.00-$5.00.

That's a nice touch, but the letter actually means the most to me. I actually still have around three, I think, from tha last two Companies I worked for before my current employer. One letter is from more than 15 years ago.

One that I have from my last job occured a little over six years ago, about a month and a half after I moved from a small house to an apartment. I had just come home from work, and headed back out to go to the Grocery Store across the street. As I crossed (jaywalked ) the street, I recognized one of my Customers sitting in her car in a grassy/gravel vacant portion of the property of a Convenience Store/Gas Station next door to the Grocery Store. As I got closer, I could see that she had a flat tire. I offered to change it for her, but she said that the Road Service was on it's way. (About 45 minutes after she called.)

I went ahead and did my shopping, and on the way back to jaywalking again, I saw that she was still there. This was over an hour since she'd called the Road Service, so I offered once again. She again declined. I think she just didn't want to "inconvenience" me, and didn't want to deal with a possible negative reaction from the Road Service Driver if they ever showed up. She may have also been unsure if she had all the stuff neccesary for the tire change. I tried to be fairly persistent, only because it was not an inconvenience to me, and she was a nice person and I hated to see her just sitting there waiting. She said, "okay, go ahead and go home and put your groceries away, and take your time. Then come back and check, and if I'm still sitting here, I'll take you up on your offer".

Anyway, (dang this is long, as usual! ) sure enough, I checked back some 15-20 minutes later, and Road Service was still a no show. I start to gather the jack, the spare, and then determine there is no lug wrench. I went back across the street to check amongst my tools to see if I had a socket that would fit her lug nuts. I had a breaker bar, and back when I had my '67 V.W. Beetle, I'd use that to break loose the lug nuts if I couldn't do it with the star wrench.

Well, since I had recently moved, plus since the car broke down, a few years earlier, beyond repairs that I could afford, my tools were scattered and some were lost. I then remembered that I had a spare key to the van that I let a buddy of mine park in my parking spot, and in desperation wondered if the lug wrench from his American made mini-van, would work on her import station wagon. Wooo Hooo, it did!!

Anyway, I got the tire changed, and literally as I had the lug wrench on the last nut tightening it up, guess who finally shows up? He did do his part though, and double checked the tightness of the lug nuts. (Even though I already did! ) I admonished my Customer to pick up a star wrench at the Auto Parts Store, plus gave her a lesson on how to change a tire. Including letting her know the proper way (rounded side toward the wheel) to put the lug nuts on. I think that, amongst other minor maintenence procedures, every diver should know how to do providing they are physically able to do so, and it can safely be done.

She wrote a letter to my Supervisor about the situation, which I greatly appreciated, since even though she was a Customer, this was not work related, and happened off the clock, almost two miles from work!

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

I've only gotten one customer compliment me to a manager that I know of, and the same day, same hour I think, another customer complained about my attitude. I just can't win.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I posted this in another thread (so long, story short, yada yada)..

I was running a youth baseball program. We messed up one of the kid's certificates. His grandmother let me know and I fixed it rather quickly. A couple of weeks later, I got a thank you card from her.

As a side note, a similar thing happened a couple of years later and another grandmother was the nastiest, most foul person I've ever met. I apologized and apologized once again and she wouldn't have it. She basically called my staff f-ups (for an MS Publisher designed certificate produced on decent paper). I finally told her that when she stopped making mistakes, she could complain about something so trivial (more or less). I do believe that I told her that she could pick up the certificate but she wasn't going to talk to me like that.

It's quite interesting how people can totally twist a situation in different ways.

Comment

Working...
              X