This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened

I work in a clothes/home decor store situated within a large garden centre. Due to a mixture of things - namely, cost-cutting and controlled temperature for plants - the whole building has stopped using air conditioning.

So, with the hot weather and no air conditioning in store, I wondered how long it would be for a customer to come up and complain about how unfair the heat is to customers.

She came up as me and my colleague were propped up against the till counter trying, and failing, to cool off. I had sweat dripping off my brow.

Her: The heat's unbearable in here. It's not fair, we should have chairs to sit on when it's like this.

My colleague: Oh, yes, that would be great. We could use a chair to sit on too.

Her: Oh, I didn't mean you people. I meant the customers.

(me thinking: Of course, you customers come here and walk around for an hour (granted, it's sometimes longer than that) and then get to go home after. Heck, you can even walk around the open part of the garden centre and get some fresh air. But me and my colleague here have to stand here, work here, all day, in blistering conditions and under a ceiling that is literally jam-packed with spot-lights, making it feel like we're under the desert bloody sun. But no, that doesn't matter. YOU need a chair. Never mind us.)

My colleague: Well, there is a chair in the fitting room. Would you like me to bring it out?

Her: No it's okay thanks. I just wanted to let you know how unfair it is to your customers.

I kept silent because I was worried that I'd spew out unsavoury words if I opened it, but my colleague assured her that, if she ever needs a chair, at any time, that we would gladly fetch her one.

But then, to make matters worse, the woman told us both that she was going to sit in the cafe now and have a cup of tea and then go home and enjoy the beautiful sunshine.

I still didn't say anything, but I'm glad she couldn't mind read because she'd have heard me saying 'Thanks for rubbing our faces in it, jerk!'

That place sounds very familiar, Evannah... sounds like somewhere I used to work.
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
      That place sounds very familiar, Evannah... sounds like somewhere I used to work.
      I'm wondering now if you've worked where I work hehe.

Comment

Seems a bit short-sighted to have the place so uncomfortable customers will stop shopping there.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
          Seems a bit short-sighted to have the place so uncomfortable customers will stop shopping there.
          It hasn't deterred them at all. In fact, it's gotten a lot busier. I was expecting a lot more complaints, but nope, there's just been this lady so far.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            I'm wondering now if you've worked where I work hehe.
            Is your store part of a chain?
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
              Is your store part of a chain?
              Do you mean the garden centre or the clothes shop within it? Anyway, they both are.

Comment

I also find myself wondering whether OSHA might take an interest in unhealthy working conditions. If it's so hot employees are feeling unwell, that's not good.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                  I also find myself wondering whether OSHA might take an interest in unhealthy working conditions. If it's so hot employees are feeling unwell, that's not good.
                  Precisely. I wouldn't want to work anywhere where there was no air conditioning and the employees were suffering ill effects from it.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                    Her: The heat's unbearable in here. It's not fair, we should have chairs to sit on when it's like this.

My colleague: Oh, yes, that would be great. We could use a chair to sit on too.

Her: Oh, I didn't mean you people. I meant the customers.
                    Oh, right, because you people don't deserve the same consideration and courtesy that the Almighty Customers should receive! You should be grateful that they don't have you in ankle chains! [/sarcasm]

I hate elitist people like this. Hot enough for you now, bitch?
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My old bookstore is situated in a HUGE open area, two stories, with a massive skylight. The skylight, plus the sheer size of the store, meant in the summer it could get warm. Then one summer, several of the many giant air conditioners on the roof broke down.

It was hellish. By the time I got off work I was soaked with sweat. I felt bad for the male employees, as we women could at least wear skirts, but they were stuck in long pants. For the first and only time, employees were allowed to keep cold drinks at their stations. They bought loads of bottled water to offer free to customers.

And yes, we had loads of customers bitch about the heat, but just as many if not more were concerned for the employees (of course, a bookstore tends to build a regular base, so many of our customers were in and out frequently and knew us).

The worst was the people who would wander in and declare, "It's HOT!" while I nodded silently, sweat dripping down my temples into my collar. Yes, it is. I've noticed.

Things went on like this for a couple months, until the ACs were fixed and the skylight was eventually tinted.
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        Regulations vary, but in Ontario most work places have no minimum or maximum temperature, however the employer is still required to plan the work to keep employees healthy. If you are still sweating, it is uncomfortable, but probably not dangerous to the average person. If the employer gives the opportunity to drink lots of water, take breaks in a more temperate climate, and reduces physical labour in the hotter areas, they are probably not in violation of health and safety.

**Having done lots of research, as the guys regularly question the legality of sending them into attics in the summer, highest temperature we've seen is 68 Celsius - people come in around 36-37**
                        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Speaking of attics and air conditioners, I feel sorry for the AC guy we'll eventually have to find. In my old house, the inside unit was in a closet in the hallway. New house? Attic.

And I live in Texas.
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                          X