Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes... (twofer, long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only a Sith deals in absolutes... (twofer, long)

...presumably because mere customers can't even comprehend them.

Sunday we had no trains. They were working on the nearby road bridge that crosses the entire line, meaning nothing could get in or out of the 13 stations in my patch due to the risk of falling debris, not to mention the massive scaffold that had been erected across the middle pair of lines.

Naturally we had been advertising this all week. Naturally people just don't pay attention. Not to the signs we had all week, not to the extra signs that go up on the day to try & prevent people coming all the way down our road, not to the hazard tape put up across all the ticket barriers, and especially not to the 15 square foot board with "NO TRAINS TODAY" emblazoned across it, that was intentionally placed in front of the only working barrier (because we need to keep one working for our own purposes and to allow the workmen access.) It's amazing. It's not even aliteracy, it's a steadfast conviction that if you don't look at something then it ceases to exist.

"No trains today," says my colleague outside the station, but they keep coming. "No trains today," say I, but they keep staring at the departure board and willing it to say "your train will be here in 30 seconds" regardless of when they arrive or when the train would normally be expected. "------" says the barrier, offering no reaction at all when the hopeful customer tries to use some form of ticket. And this is when they start casting about, actually seeing rather than just pointing their eyes at stuff, searching for someone to explain this failure.

"There's no trains today," I repeat helpfully. My movement triggers the lizard hindbrain, and their heads swivel towards me. Arms reach up & extract earbuds, exposing their soft, squishy brains to outside stimuli for the first time in aeons.

"There's no trains today," I again intone, as if repeating the mantra long enough will act as some kind of spell to ward off more of these strange beasts.

"I need to get to X."

"The buses go from around the corner, every 5-10 minutes. If you go now you may just catch the next one."

"But I just need to go to X. When's the next train?"

"Tomorrow, 5:30am. There's no trains on this line today due to works."

"Why, what happened?"

Damn, my timeturner must have glitched; I said that too soon. Better say it again:
    "There's no trains today due to scheduled work on the line."

"I just need to go to X. Or Y, I guess I could go to Y instead."

"There's no trains anywhere today."

"Not even to X?"

Huh? Come on, you already accepted this! Did you not study your script?
    "No, no trains at all."

"How about to Y? I could go to Y I suppose. I'll just catch the train to Y & connect from there..."

"No trains to Y either. No trains at all today along this line. None."

"How about later?"

"Later is still today, so no."
    Damn, that should have been internal monologue... Ah heck I'll be fine, they're not listening anyway - are they?

"How about to X, are they running later?"

Saved! But dear mercies, how dumb are you?
    "No. No trains all day, as it says on that sign you'e standing right in front of."

I swear I could hear the gears grinding as they swung their heads back to look again at the large white board they'd been so intent on walking through.
    "Oh."

Success!

"How about from *next station on the same line, with absolutely no way a train could get there without passing through here first*?"

... And repeat about 50 times over the course of 8 hours.

Bonus story:

Monday we had an entirely unrelated problem with trains along one specific line. Not our line, but one we connect to. The main hub on that line had power issues meaning anything going that way was stranded & couldn't proceed.

Naturally, someone had to get to a station on the same line as that hub. The station just before it, actually. One served by an underground line that was entirely unaffected, and that we could steer people through with minimal effort.

But nooo. One guy comes in, his wife's called him via cellphone from the station where they have to switch from our line to the dud line to ask him how she can get to Pre-hub. And suggesting the correct way around was just not acceptable! No, I had to know exactly when they could go from Interchange to Pre-hub, because they had to be there soon. How soon? Not so soon that they couldn't easily have made the detour with time to spare... Oy. No amount of "that line's got problems, any/every service going that way is stuck" would penetrate his skull. Eventually I got him to hand me the phone and I explained it to her, and she completely accepted this information without any problems; as he left, I think she was still trying to get him to understand as he kept muttering into the phone about how she just needed to go to Pre-hub...
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
    .. how dumb are you?

So Dumb that ...... ugh I just don’t have it in me. You know other than the laugh at that part of the story I just feel pain. Reading that makes me want to slam my face into my desk, because I know without a doubt people that dumb exists.

They don’t read, and can’t comprehend any information that is contrary to their reptilian brains thought process.

Good Luck.

Comment

I must admit that the part about removing their earbuds, thus exposing their soft, squishy brains to the outside world, had me laughing out loud.
      I no longer fear HELL.
      I work in RETAIL.

Comment

I kept seeing Agrajag's neon sign while reading that...

"Welcome,
        <bzzt>
        . . .
        <bzzt>
        I don't think.
        <bzzt>
        Arthur Dent."
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm glad my writing has met with such approval/comparison.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Next time the train comes through here, remind me to get off.......
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Well, they certainly caught the Stupid Train, didn't they?
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

First, off topic, anyone else notice the irony that when Obi-Wan states "only a Sith deals in absolutes" he himself has just dealt in an absolute?
                Back on topic, dear Lord am I having flashbacks to riding UTA... seriously, it never ceased to amaze me how stubborn people got about using a bus bridge... seriously, UTA announced maintenance well in advance, you couldn't say you didn't know it was going to be happening, but without fail, you'd get to the last stop before the bus bridge and there'd be that one person sitting there going "huh, why is everyone getting off the train".
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Your story reminds me of a guy I had to deal with when the apartment upstairs from me was up for rent. It was basically a townhome divided into two units. After the people upstairs moved out, the owner put a "For rent" sign in the window, with her phone number.

Early one Saturday morning, my doorbell rang. I grumbled (I don't like having my sleep disturbed), threw on a pair of pants, and opened the door. It was some guy asking questions about the upstairs apartment. I explained to him that I wasn't the owner, I was just the guy renting the downstairs apartment, and that I knew nothing about it, and he should call the number on the sign. That should have been the end of it, but of course, if it was, I wouldn't be posting about it.

So then he starts asking me about the apartment itself (how big is the kitchen, how many bedrooms, etc.) I explain to him once again that I know nothing about the place, that I've never even been up there, and that he needs to call the number on the sign, I'm just the guy renting the downstairs apartment.

Then he asks me how many bedrooms my apartment has. I lost my patience at this point and told him, "One. And I was in it until you rang my damn doorbell!"

After that, it finally started to sink in. He said he'd call the number, and walked away quickly. Someone eventually did move in upstairs, but thankfully it wasn't him. I don't think I could deal with having an idiot like that as a neighbor.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

See, idiocy that bad, looking to be my neighbor, I would've just told him "Sorry, rented out"
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X