Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another story of an SC at closing time.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another story of an SC at closing time.

This woman had the brass neck to show up two minutes before closing time. Gritting my teeth, I let her in cuz it's not closing time and we can't not let people in when it's not time to close. She takes about ten minutes filling her car to the brim, then comes in. Her card declines.

So I have to scribble out a form for her, she takes ages to find her driving license, and in the end, my colleague Sarah and I are half an hour late to finish. Sarah is thankful that her husband is collecting her tonight, as otherwise her train would be long gone, and I am silently cursing the SC and hoping that she steps on a hundred Legos every single day.

While I am aware that we are open right up to closing time, the vast majority of last minute customers tend to realise that we close soon and just put in ten pounds worth of fuel as well as pay with cash so that it's quicker. What sort of arsehole shows up late, then fills their car all the way up without checking to see if they could pay?

Karma did bite this SC in the arse tho; she forgot to come back and pay and didn't answer her phone when we rang her. So her details were passed on to a collection agency. The SC ended up having to fork out twice as much as her petrol cost in the first place, cuz of the agency fee that was added on.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

I had not one, but two last minute people tonight. Thankfully, both had cards, so I didn't have to count my change again, but it was still annoying. People know what time the store closes. They need to get there before then--and not two minutes before.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

While I feel for everyone that has to deal with the "OMG JUST ONE THING" people, I rather like last-minute passengers. Usually happens right after I decide I'm done for the day, but oh look, money coming my way.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I'd be happy with it if I was getting the money, but I'm not. I'm also only paid fifteen minutes after close, so if I end up having to stay later than that, it's annoying.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          I'm also only paid fifteen minutes after close, so if I end up having to stay later than that, it's annoying.
          I don't understand how that's even legal.

And unfortunately as much as it might tick us off with that very last minute customer (we had these when I worked at King of Burgers, too, so I get it), the establishment is still open. As much as it annoys us (and I do agree that it is annoying) to serve them, because we have a lot of closing activities to do, it's late, and we want to go home.

I've even had people come through the drive thru after closing, when the outside lights are off (except for the security lights). The menu light is turned off, they can tell (or not, they're SCs, after all) that we're closed...
          Last edited by mjr; 06-29-2016, 02:20 PM.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Boss man yesterday wanted to have a meeting at 1545 we normally close shop and leave at 1600. Ok fine your the Boss I get to wait. Boss shows up at 1620 tells me he was busy and we would meet tomorrow in AM.

.... Thanks for wasting my time AND making sure I am stuck in rush hour traffic. If I don’t leave at 1600 my drive home goes from 20 min to 60.

Comment

I've had a few complaints lately from customers who spent an hour shopping before the store closes. They decide to check out at closing and are upset that everyone else shopping in the store decided to do the same thing so they have to wait in a line.

Comment

The thing is, it's not the fact that she decided to roll in at two minutes to close that makes her an SC. Loads of customers do this, but normally, the transactions don't take long and we can still be at the clocking out machine dead on quarter past. It's the fact that she couldn't pay (and, judging by her lack of surprise when her card declined, damn well knew it) and then faffed about when I asked her for her details which made her an SC. If you must pull this kind of trick, then have the decency to do it early in the morning.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

More than once I've had to call or text Mrs. TGK about being late b/c an individual arrived within 5 minutes of closing time....Understand that a return usually takes a half hour or more.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth AngryFaery View Post
                    I've had a few complaints lately from customers who spent an hour shopping before the store closes. They decide to check out at closing and are upset that everyone else shopping in the store decided to do the same thing so they have to wait in a line.
                    I come here this late so I won't have to stand in line!! Argleblargle!!!111eleventy!!!
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Sometimes it's worse if you wait until right before closing. Back when I was a commissary checker at a Navy base, I worked the day before Thanksgiving, and it was so dead the supervisor started sending people home. One good thing about her was that she was aware of who carpooled with who, so she kept the carpool groups together and didn't send one person home at 11 a.m. and rest home at 3 p.m. if they rode together. So, the people I carpooled with and I had come in the latest so we were there working at 3 p.m. and the store was set to close at 4 p.m. - then all of a sudden everyone who hadn't shopped for Thanksgiving or who had discovered they needed something else for dinner showed up. When the store closed at 4 p.m. we all had lines 15 to 20 customers deep. My supervisor and the store manager were fortunately very nice ladies who took no static from anyone, and I overheard the store manager tell someone (nicely) that if they hadn't waited until the last minute they wouldn't be standing in a long line.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                        Sometimes it's worse if you wait until right before closing.
                        Absolutely. From about September to January, our store is crazy, even at night. People get cranky that we keep doing announcements when the line is long. And once we go past 9:00 PM, we start saying this: "The time is now 9:15 and our store has been closed for 15 minutes." "The time is now 9:30 and our store has been closed for 30 minutes." People don't like that and will grumble about how they're trying to leave, but the line is so long! Yeah, that's because 30 of you came up to the cutting counter in the space of five minutes! If you pull a ticket at 8:55, and so do 29 other people, expect to wait and be forced to listen to our vaguely chiding announcements. We start our closing announcements at 8:30, so it's not like they didn't have warning. Oh, check out the Retail from today, lol!

Early morning shopping is the best bet, but not weekend mornings especially Sunday morning, when we have the audacity to open a whole HOUR later. People stack up at the front doors and every one of them thinks that because they graced our store with their presence early that means we need to take 30-45 minutes PER CUSTOMER. Not even with real questions. No, these people just want you to shop with them and look at color palates and prints until you want to pull your hair out.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

mjr - LNS is in the UK, so labor laws are gonna differ there In the US, however, yeah, that's 100% illegal, even if the EE is willing to work unpaid time.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Tho we do have Trading Laws here, which enable us to boot customers out if they haven't bought their crap by ten minutes after closing time! One place I used to work had a manager who shut the lights off at closing time and told customers that they had five minutes to get to the till before they automatically switched off for the night. This was a big porky pie but hey, it got them out...

As I said before, the SC-ness is not turning up when she did; we were still open. It was farting about all that time, knowing she had no money, and then giving me her details for the form at snail pace. I was glad that she ended up paying twice the amount, cuz it served her right for forcing me to do unpaid overtime.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                              Absolutely. From about September to January, our store is crazy, even at night. People get cranky that we keep doing announcements when the line is long. And once we go past 9:00 PM, we start saying this: "The time is now 9:15 and our store has been closed for 15 minutes." "The time is now 9:30 and our store has been closed for 30 minutes." People don't like that and will grumble about how they're trying to leave, but the line is so long! Yeah, that's because 30 of you came up to the cutting counter in the space of five minutes!
                              And they chose to come in at 8:30 at night during the week before Halloween or Christmas! Did they honestly think they'd be the only person in the store?! (Rhetorical question. I know darn well these people are so self-centered that they truly did think they'd be the only one there. )
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X