X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Evil Softball Teams and Crazy Ladies

Story the First: Softball Team from Hades

Ok so it's the busy season but until a few days ago, other than being booked solid, nothing major of note happened at the Elogated Hexigon Inn and Suites.

Until 3 days ago when a softball team from Jersey checked in. Can you say Add-i-tude? The first night they were getting drunk and yelling and screaming on the patio, and when the night auditor (who is over 6 feet and 350 lbs of muscle, btw) told them to knock it off, they gave him so much backtalk he considered calling the cops (should have IMHO).

Next day they were puking all over the rooms, coming up to the desk to complain about how "rude" the staff was for DARING to tell them not to disturb other guests (sports teams that book here sign a code of conduct which they were VERY much in violation of), running wild in the pool area, trashing the lobby, you get the picture. They're not going to be invited back and I may send a letter to the dean of their college (University for those across the pond) to let him or her know how the school is being represented.

Story the Second: Crazy Drug Lady

So we had a reservation turn up at 7am (her booking was for the night before) but that wouldn't have been a problem, we'd have just charged her a day's rate to, say, get some sleep before heading to the airport for a late flight or whatever.

The issue was her credit card declined. No working card, no keys. She proceeded to sit in our lobby until the end of my (11am-7pm) shift yesterday, supposedly trying to get her credit card fixed. Uh huh. At least she kept to herself.

I heard this morning that she was still there at 3am, when the night auditor finally had enough and kicked her out. She got belligerent, said she wasn't leaving until 8am, was informed she'd already been here almost 24 hours and was now trespassing and we were calling the police. She apparently then grabbed the luggage cart with all her stuff on it, and took off down the street.

<My town's> police department found the cart, but not her. The night auditor said she was showing signs of drug use. Her luggage is going to get tossed in the trash if she doesn't come back for it today. Oh the joys of hotel work. Oh well, still beats cashiering at a company that's dying and wants to pretend it isn't.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 07-03-2016, 03:51 PM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

They're not going to be invited back and I may send a letter to the dean of their college
    Doooo eeeett. Feel free to include a report from the night auditor about his run-in with them, and the bit on the final invoice regarding any extra cleanup fees for their *ahem* protein spills
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I second it. Include a copy of the damage they did and how much it cost the college, both in money and in reputation.

Comment

Add me as a third - send both a letter stating team will under no circumstances be allowed to stay (and that other hotels in the area will also receive a copy to warn them as well) plus a list of damages and a bill to cover them. A Letter to the Editor to the college's local paper should also be sent...

Crazy Lady sounds like a real pip, glad you got your cart back. Bet you will get rid of her junk, only to have the witch come back weeks or even months later to try and get it!

Comment

I would love for you to contact them. It's the only way those kids might learn to behave. I just wonder if you can get in trouble if you do it without manager approval. You might want to be anonymous. Maybe say you were staying there that weekend?

Comment

They're already "not being invited back" -- which is a wonderful turns of phrase, and a polite way of saying they're being told "Don't ever come back" -- I'm sure the Dean would like to know *exactly* why not, for the same reason why a Military or Law Enforcement CO would want to know. i.e., The kids are making their entire school look bad by extension.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Regarding softball teams in general:

WAAAAYYYY back about 30 years ago I worked at a 24 hour fast food place (no not Denny's or Perkins just a mid-west regional chain). My restaurant was across the street from

1 a huge bowling alley
              2 a HUGE public park softball complex

During the summer after say 9 or 10 pm as the softball games were completed guess where all these drunk idiots decided to eat????? Yeah that was a real fun drunk rush during the summer

Then one of the pizza places I worked at was literally in back of another huge softball complex. This one was not so bad except once or twice I had an empty dinning room and one softball team trashed it all by themselves just for the fun if it. and yes they did straight stiff the server. It took us 2 hours to clean said dinning room.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

We also had a guy who, apparently not trusting us to give us his mail, decided to walk behind the desk and start rooting around (in an area where we keep our purses and coats) to look for his FedEx package (which came in the next day). When the night auditor politely told him he couldn't be back there (staff only area) he complained about how "rude" the auditor was and how he "gave me so much attitude." Yeah, whatever dude. I may not like everything about my job but my leadership team does have working BS detectors.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

We had it pretty easy. Our groups were pretty well behaved. It probably helps we don't have a pool. (My hotel brand is mentioned in an episode of Animaniacs.) Worst was just a large group being a little too noisy with their card game in the lobby. Something that resolved itself at 11 each night.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                  X