This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aren't Parents wonderful?...

...They'll do anything for their children.

Yes, most parents will and that's a good thing. However, there always are some parents who are textbook examples of what CS defines as an EW. This guy was a classic.

In the days before the Internet and Email we received a phone call from a gentleman who lived 1,200 miles away from the library. He had what he called a 'simple request' (don't they all? )

His daughter needed a report on Roman Aqueducts. With Ballet, Soccer and what-not, she didn't have the time to do it. All he wanted us to do was write up a nice little essay she could copy in her own handwriting and present in class.

We didn't think that would happen for several reasons and told him why.

1) Your child is 12 years old.

2) You live in a large city. I know, from personal experience, that this place has an excellent Public Library system. Even at a small branch library, your daughter should be able to find all she needs for her report with a visit of less than an hour.

3) Given the above, there is no need to contact a World-Class Library almost half a continent away from you and ask the people there to provide a ready-made essay your child can copy and hand in.

He did not get it. What follows is a rough approximation of the phone call.

Me: or take your pick.
    SC: The very not happy Dad.

SC: Aw, C'mon, Lady! Don't you want to help a little kid?

Me: Yes sir, we do. We'll be happy to fax you a list of sources that are almost certainly available in her school or local public library. However, we will not write the essay for your daughter. Assignments like this are designed to teach children how to do research.

SC: I pay your salary! You will give me what I need or I will report you!

(Ah, the Classic wail of the thwarted EW! To whom will you report me? My boss is listening to this call on an extension and giving me a thumbs-up at the audacity of this guy. )

Me: Sir, actually you don't pay my salary. We receive Federal grants from time to time for special projects. My salary isn't included in that. I'm paid by a private endowment. Government city money has nothing to do with my salary.

SC: Thanks for nothin'! I thought you guys would help but you're worth S**t! (Phone Slams down)

Me: (to myself) Bye Sir and the feeling is mutual.
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

We all know the old saying, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...the SC shouldn't be surprised if his little girl is worth shit in school for having reports done for her.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I believe the girl needs to make time to do her own reports. Otherwise, how will she learn stuff?
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
        I believe the girl needs to make time to do her own reports. Otherwise, how will she learn stuff?
        Pish tosh. Book learning is for bookish nerdy kids. Not for a kid who's as on-the-go and artistically and athletically-inclined as widdle pweshuss.

Some people should not have kids. That guy's teaching his child that academics comes second to her various extra-curricular activities and she can cheat her way through school if she's too busy to do any work.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

IPF...how do you think all the honor students and valedictorians got their titles at my second high school? They were all dumb as bricks.......I caught one of them trying to copy off me in English class......of course they were all in sports and cheerleading or some other type of important extra-curricular thing.

Not saying ALL smart kids are cheaters. I'm sure most valedictorians and honor students do earn their titles legitimately.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

my brother was salutorian and he earned so yes some do

Comment

The honor students and valedictorians all earned their honors the honest way, as far as I know. If they did cheat or get caught, it was kept quiet. But then again I'm almost 10 years out of high school and there's a definite difference between high school kids now and high school kids when I was in high school

I know of one time where somebody tried to copy off my test, but they were one of the less stellar students.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                Not saying ALL smart kids are cheaters. I'm sure most valedictorians and honor students do earn their titles legitimately.
                The ones at my high school did. It wasn't considered cool.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I think it's only been cool to be smart for like, the past 10 years. I remember sitcoms from the early 90s and smart kids were ALWAYS nerds.

Now we make fun of stupid people all around. Isn't that ironic?

Haha that all sounded ridiculous. Funny how time changes things.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Silly me! I make my children do their homework before they can do anything else. I don't care if their friends are waiting for them or they have something else to do, their homework comes first.

They write their own essays. All we do is proof read it for them.
                    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

What a moron. Pwecious Pwincess will get a VERY rude awakening one day when da-da can't cheat her into a perfect job performance or out of an arrest record.

Comment

Wow . . . If I had ever had somebody else do a school assignment for me, and my mother found out about it . . . She would have hit the roof.

First of all, she would have taken me to see my teacher, and turned me in. And then, once we got home ... *Shudders at the thought* ... Trust me, life would no longer have been worth living.

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post

the SC shouldn't be surprised if his little girl is worth shit in school for having reports done for her.
                        Absolutely. And I strongly suspect that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's also one of those parents who constantly make excuses for their children, bail them out of trouble, and blame everybody else when their children misbehave.

He doesn't understand how much he's hurting his daughter by doing this. If he keeps this up, then she's going to be in deep trouble when it comes time to take admissions tests for high schools . . . To say nothing of what the PSAT and SAT are going to be like.

And if she fails to get into a good high school, or later on, a good college . . . Then, of course, it's going to be everybody else's fault.
                        “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
                        “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
                        “I don’t know.”
                        “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

The one and only time I cheated on my schoolwork (a third-grade spelling test), my punishment was to write "I will not cheat on my schoolwork" or some such thing 100 times after school.

I got done with it about 45 minutes after school let out for the day. My dad had come to walk me home from school that day so he had to wait for me to get out.

I got a nice lecture from my parents, in addition to a spanking and being grounded.

Writing "I will not do whatever" multiple times after school was the punishment of choice for my third-grade teacher. It was something I did kinda frequently.

Comment

I weep for his daughter and the horrible values he's teaching her. You just know she'll be one of the idiot new-hires at my store and we'll find out real quick she has no work ethic. May he reap what he sows.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Well, if she makes it all the way into college, and Daddy is still doing Precious' homework for her, AND a professor finds out about it - then that's plagarism, and that's basically the end of all school for her.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X