This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Part Of "No" Don't You Get?

Background: my bar, along with a few others owned by the same company, offers a self-guided pub crawl/drinking "challenge." In essence, if you do a specified drink at each of the bars involved, and get your (absolutely free) challenge card marked at each of the bars, you get a free t-shirt. Yes, it's shameless self-promotion, but people love doing it, so everyone's happy. Each bar has one particular drink pictured on the card, but all but one of the bars allows for other options. My bar, for example, lists our namesake drink, but allows participants to choose from any of our approximately twenty specialty drinks. Because we're cool like that. Everyone with me so far? Okay, good. Cue the Blithering Idiots. Today the Blithering Idiots will be played by a group of clueless twentysomething girls, and the Bartenders will be played by my coworkers, Nice Guy Eddie and Curly Sue.

The Blithering Idiots were in at happy hour, drinking discounted happy hour beers. They drank, they paid, they left. They came back a bit later, when the bar was busy. They walked up to Eddie and said, holding out some challenge cards, said, "We need our cards punched." Knowing they had been there earlier, and thinking he remembered them, Eddie asked, "Weren't you ladies drinking beers here?" Yep. "I'm sorry, but we can only punch the cards for specialty drinks." They just stood there and stared at him, so figuring he'd explained it well enough, and since the bar was busy, he walked away to help other customers.

Sue, unaware of this interaction, approached shortly thereafter, seeing the girls standing there. Remembering them, Sue said, "Hi! Back again? What can I do for you?"
    Blithering Idiots: "We were in earlier, and we need our cards punched."
    Sue: "Weren't you drinking happy hour beers?"
    Blithering Idiots: "Yes."
    Sue: "I'm sorry, but we can only punch those cards for specialty drinks. Never beer, and definitely not happy hour beer."
    Blithering Idiots: "But it says right here that 'other options' may be offered."
    Sue: "Yesssss....and the other options are any of our specialty drinks."
    Blithering Idiots: "Well, we still want our cards punched."
    Sue: "Sure thing. Just have any of our specialty drinks, and I'll be more than happy to do to that."
    Blithering Idiots: "We don't want to get more drinks. We want to get our cards punched for what we had earlier."
    Sue: "You had discounted happy hour beers earlier. I can't punch your cards for that."
    Blithering Idiots: "Well, we'll just see what the legal system has to say about that."
    Sue: (stares at them, not believing they're serious)
    Blithering Idiots: (stare right back at Sue, serious as a heart attack)
    Sue: (walks away to take care of other customers who weren't going to waste her time with such ridiculous bullshit)

The Blithering Idiots did not get their cards punched. Personally, I would love to be a fly on the wall when they approach a lawyer about their "case," a dispute over which drinks qualify them for a free fucking t-shirt. Here's a hint to people like this: when a bar or bars sponsor a contest or promotion like this, here's a simple rule of thumb: their game, they make the rules. For those who refuse to accept this simple rule of thumb here's another one: go fuck yourself.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Have to ask... but what are the speciality drinks?
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Eddie asked, "Weren't you ladies drinking beers here?" Yep. "I'm sorry, but we can only punch the cards for specialty drinks." They just stood there and stared at him...
      Well, it's no wonder they were confused. They consider themselves to be "special" so everything they ordered/drank when they graced your establishment with their presence was "special" as well.
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Lace, specialty drinks are drinks unique to the establishment. You'll find them in many bars. We have a specialty drink menu from which people can choose. We've had that menu since the bar opened, long before this particular promotion came along.

Now, if you're asking me what our specific specialty drinks are, well, to get specific would eliminate what little anonymity I still maintain here. Suffice it to say it is a variety of rum punches, martinis, and various other delightful conditions, most of them based on rum or vodka.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I would kill for a real non-sour mix Mai-Tai ... I haven't had one for years [and as I just carb loaded lunch *burp* I have to behave the rest of the day.]
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

With that attitude, it's a wonder someone didn't punch their cards for them...if you know what I mean.

I laughed at the legal system comment. Seriously?? What twits.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Blithering Idiots: "Well, we'll just see what the legal system has to say about that."
              Legal System says; Go home, you're drunk.
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Well, the "legal system" will say "That's a civil matter" and, the civil side will say "Go home, you're drunk"
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  I would kill for a real non-sour mix Mai-Tai ... I haven't had one for years [and as I just carb loaded lunch *burp* I have to behave the rest of the day.]
                  Who in the fuck puts sour mix in a Mai Tai? Probably the same incompetents that out OJ in a margarita. Ugh.

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                  Legal System says; Go home, you're drunk.
                  This cracked me up.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  Well, the "legal system" will say "That's a civil matter" and, the civil side will say "Go home, you're drunk"
                  Personally, I would prefer if both the legal system and the civil side would tell them to go fuck themselves. Yeah, it might not be very civil, but it would be legal!

Still A Customer."

Comment

You guys have it all wrong.

The Legal System will say "That's a civil matter," and then charge the Blithering Idiots for their time to give them their Expert Legal Opinion.

Which is basically telling them to not only Go Fuck Themselves, but to Go Fuck Yourselves And Your Wallet.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Well, technically speaking, the lawyers will be fucking their wallets.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                      X