Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First home-based Sighting in... I don't know how long. (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Whiskey View Post
    When I get a bike, i swear to god I'm going to fit it with enough strobe lights to put the LA Raver scene to shame. DONT HIT ME
    actually flashing lights draw the driver's eyes and for less experienced drivers they tend to turn the direction they happen to be looking.....I have one flashing tail light-and the frame wrapped with EL wire(electroluminescent wire)-I also have ankle lights, a headlight and helmet light-you cannot not see me at night.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

The kids without helmets are doing it because they're immortal. Safety devices are for other people, you know, the "other people" who get hit by cars.

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
      actually flashing lights draw the driver's eyes and for less experienced drivers they tend to turn the direction they happen to be looking.....
      While I'm not an experienced motorist (I avoid it whenever I can), my main problem isn't the "turn where I'm looking" issue. It's that I can't judge distance/motion as well with a flashing light. I really prefer solid lights, because I can tell how fast and in which direction you're moving more conveniently. My husband likes his rear blinker, so I have him put it on chase, which means that there's always at least one light on. (It gives me no trouble on that setting).

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        When I get a bike, i swear to god I'm going to fit it with enough strobe lights to put the LA Raver scene to shame. DONT HIT ME
        We have a very safety-conscious cyclist around where I live. He wears a reflective waistcoat with the strips, like you get on police jackets (ye gods, that thing is bright!) and he's glued those reflective arm-bands and stickers you can buy for kids along the frame. You really can't miss him!

As a driver, when it comes to bike lights, I find his combination of a flashing light on the bike to draw the eye (not that he needs the help!) and his reflective clothing giving a good, solid light to judge distance from, is ideal.

Of course, all your street cred will evaporate into the distance, but we can't have everything.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
          ...Of course, all your street cred will evaporate into the distance, but we can't have everything.
          Better evaporated than splattered!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
            As a driver, when it comes to bike lights, I find his combination of a flashing light on the bike to draw the eye (not that he needs the help!) and his reflective clothing giving a good, solid light to judge distance from, is ideal.

Of course, all your street cred will evaporate into the distance, but we can't have everything.
            I was joking about the strobe lights, ya'll, dang. And yeah, I'd rather not have street cred than a mouth full of street and shattered body parts.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
              I was joking about the strobe lights, ya'll, dang.
              Around here, he needs the help. I live in a tourist town, & the tourists screeching around 3 times over the speed limit in their tricked-out fart-machines are a menace.

I am, however, saving up for a bike of my own so that I can go to the cinema in tourist season without having either:

1) An hour's round trip if I walk.
              2) A £7 each way taxi fare because the rates get hiked in tourist season, or
              3) A minimum of £1 an hour parking, exact change per hour required, with probably a 10 minute walk on top of that, as the cinema's near several popular pubs/clubs.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I'm one of those people that just doesn't understand why cyclists wouldn't wear helmets. Granted, that's because I had a near-fatal bike accident when I was a kid, only saved from a serious head injury because I was wearing a helmet. (Worst I got was a really sore shoulder, this.close from separating it.)

Even knowing that some cyclists (kids and adults alike) are arrogant about the belief that "Nothing will ever happen to me/I'm immortal!", I still can't wrap my head around it.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  I'm one of those people that just doesn't understand why cyclists wouldn't wear helmets.
                  Because they signed their organ-donor card

Comment

Working...
                  X