This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth protege View Post
    Uh, did the truck have West Virginia plates?
    Mmm, flatmeat!

Comment

The meat is more sweet when it's flattened on the street.
      There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
        Uh, did the truck have West Virginia plates?

Dude, this is the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia, and it's just a little bit... well, country. And considering I grew up in the suburban sprawl around Vancouver, the culture shock when I moved here was immense. You should meet my father-in-law. His hobbies are hunting, fishing and chopping wood for the stove. He's too deaf to hunt anymore and he's not that interested in fishing nowadays, but we've got enough wood split and stacked for the next THREE winters.

Or there was the time when Hubs was driving me around the backroads and we rolled through a settlement of 4 houses. A guy came out of one house and stared at us as we passed, and he was still standing there staring half an hour later when we came back that way. I was totally freaked out and rolled up my window and started locking doors. Don't drag a city girl into the backwoods of any place without warning her first, please!

The Hubster and I are moving into the city next spring, because we've had enough.
        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

When I was growing up, I remember one spring morning we were getting ready for school and such, when dad and mom started looking out the kitchen window and motioning my sister and I to look.

We have a row of pine trees (that we planted) to separate our backyard lawn from the rest of the woods. In the woods section, we had a treehouse platform. A big moose (no antlers that I can recall) was looking into the door of the treehouse, curiously looking around it. (We live out in the boonies a bit; lots of people along our road but only forest, fields and the NB end of I-95 exist behind our house.)

A few years later, mom was on a walking kick and would drive out to the I-95 (back then it was still a 2-lane highway) and do a loop along the highway and the Tourist Bureau Road. One day she did that loop and spotted a bear cub and its mama. I don't think she walked that route too often after that. (Mom wasn't particularly scared, just justifiably nervous, but curious at the same time)

And of course just a few months ago, I walk to work through Fredericton's Odell park. (big park on the valley wall). I heard noise off to my left and when I looked, there was a young moose who just spotted me. He took off, curving across the path in front of me and disappearing into the deeper woods. A few weeks later the radio was making a big deal about spotting a moose in the city on the other side of the river. I suspect it was the same one. (He can't have been too scared of roads. Though he could have gotten to the park via Hanwell by way of the golf course )

Comment

Working...
          X