Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Towing Tidbits: Now With Even More Drunks!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing Tidbits: Now With Even More Drunks!

Run-ins with drunks have become common lately. Mostly when they crash and then call us to try and help them get away with their DUI scott-free. Like say, pulling their car out of the plate glass window of the storefront they're embedded in before they open up in the morning and the shopkeep notices. (That hasn't happened YET, but, there's nothing that says it CAN'T)

Too bad for them, when they try that, they only discover that we're the meddling kids to their rubber-masked phoney ghost.

Sometimes though, you get the other kind of drunk. The kind that's TOO compliant.

Like the guy the cops were following the other night who was drifting with the winds all over the road instead of keeping it between the lines. Their suspicions confirmed that the driver was drunk, they flipped on their lights to pull him over.

Immediately, he made a hard ninety-degree right.....

Into a tall 4'' high curb, over said curb, through a yard, and into fence, flattening the front of his car in the process.

Well, his HEART was in the right place...

Unfortunately, that turned what should have been a routine impound into a wreck/recovery situation for our late-night driver Doc, who got the call. When he gets on scene, he decides to see if maybe the car will run long enough to at least back it away from the fence it's tangled in, rather than hook on the winch line and drag it and possibly part of the neighborhood, back onto his truck.

To his surprise, it starts right up when he turned the key. And despite the front end being a little bit pancaked, it still drove fairly straight, and the steering still was functional too. Amazing considering the licking it took. (It was a near-fossilized Geo Metro, a car that back in the early 90s' bravely pushed the boundary of what could charitably be called a "car" into territory that had once been reserved for "wind up toy". )

Now, Doc doesn't want to drop it off the high curb and into the street, might press his luck too much and kill it for the final time. Looking around he notes that about a block down the street, there's a curb cut-out for a driveway, and asks the officer on scene if he can drive it down there, drive it out into the street and load it.

Cop says sure, whatever it takes to get it out of here.

So Doc goes limping down the sidewalk, in a smashed car, with a lit-up police cruiser shadowing him the whole way....

Wonder if anyone on a 2am glass-of-water run happened to look out the window at THAT spectacle and wonder what was going on? They were probably a bit flummoxed as to why nothing appeared in the newspaper the next morning about any slow-speed chases.....

The only good thing to come of that is now that his car is totaled (on account of the damage, even if it does drive) the drunk will be without wheels for quite some time. Granted, not much damage, but, like I said, it was a Geo, issuing it a parking ticket would have probably totaled it too.

So endeth the tale of the drunk who tried to please... now we segue into the tale of the drunk who was outright defiant....

A downtown office calls us up first thing in the AM and tells us there's a car they don't recognize sitting in their lot, and they'd like it gone before their employees start to show up around 9ish and, like musical chairs, the last guy in has no place to park.

A quick jaunt down there reveals a blue SUV over in a corner that I don't recognize. At only 10 spaces, the lot is small enough that after a few times through, you've memorized all the employees cars and where they like to park, interlopers thus stick out like me trying to seamlessly blend in with the crowd in downtown Addis Ababa, while wearing a light-up bow tie.

Nonetheless, procedure is procedure and I do a lap around the car to see if there's a permit in it someone has missed.

There isn't, but there is a humongous sideswipe down the entire right side of the car, the grey kind you get when you dry-hump a Jersey barrier, those chest-high concrete walls that turn ordinary highways into glorified cattle chutes. They also bounded off it hard enough to pop the right rear tire like a party favor, it's flat to the rim, which is resting on the asphalt.

Ooh, and what's this? A nefarious note left for the possible purveying pleasure of our dynamic duo?

Well, kinda: it was under a wiper blade.

DO NOT TOW
    Had accident
    Will be back to claim at 2pm.

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, takes some real brass cojones , to have a late-night accident (possibly DUI related, not 100% sure but I'd bet at least a few samoas on it) limp into someone else's parking lot and essentially say "Yeah, I took yer spot, now do sumthin' bout' it you summbich!"

Well, we did something alright. Towed them away.

Sorry, can't wait around for your schedule to coincide with that of the person who actually OWNS the property you are sitting on.

And the kicker, it was a brand new SUV, so the spare HAD to still be stowed underneath, along with a tire iron and jack, had they just had a little more personal gumption, they'd probably have been able to get back on the road since the battle scars down the side, while nasty looking for sure, were only superficial flesh wounds. The car would've driven just fine on some bent sheet metal if they'd just changed the flat.

Unless of course they were as drunk as I suspect they were.... in which case abandoning it there was the smarter thing to do.

DUI.. you lose when you call us, you lose when you DON'T call us, you lose when you comply with the cops, you lose when you DON'T comply with cops...

The real winning move would have been not to play the game.
    Last edited by Argabarga; 08-09-2014, 04:33 PM.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Every time I see a Geo on the road I just shake my head wondering how on earth such a car had survived as long as it has... and passing me on the highway doing 90 no less. I can almost hear the "put-put-put-put-put" of the engine as it does so, too.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      Run-ins with drunks have become common lately. Mostly when they crash and then call us to try and help them get away with their DUI scott-free. Like say, pulling their car out of the plate glass window of the storefront they're embedded in before they open up in the morning and the shopkeep notices. (That hasn't happened YET, but, there's nothing that says it CAN'T)
      I believe that would be called breaking and entering. It's bad enough that customers come in just before closing time.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      DUI.. you lose when you call us, you lose when you DON'T call us, you lose when you comply with the cops, you lose when you DON'T comply with cops...

The real winning move would have been not to play the game.
      There's really no excuse for DWI. Taxis, buses, designated driver services, and tow trucks can get you home safely.
      This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

For #2, wait until they file the insurance claim. Hope they get the TimmyHate's US cousin.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          For #2, wait until they file the insurance claim. Hope they get the TimmyHate's US cousin.
          I was just driving along minding my own business when the tire blew up for no reason, with such force, it dented the fenders! Honest!
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Greetings Professor Falcon

A strange Game.
            The only winning move is
            NOT TO PLAY.

How about a nice game of Chess?
            I love that movie (cookies if you got reference).
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Later. Right now let's play Global Thermonuclear War.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                I love that movie (cookies if you got reference).
                War Games. One of only two good movies Matthew Broderick ever made (the other being Ferris Buller's Day Off).
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I seem to be the only person on earth who LIKES his Godzilla movie.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Speaking of Matthew Broderick and drunkenness, let's go to Ireland! Oooooo, too soon?

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      War Games. One of only two good movies Matthew Broderick ever made (the other being Ferris Buller's Day Off).
                      I quite like Ladyhawke . . .

Comment

I got a Geo Metro once as a rental while my car was fixed. I felt like I was driving around in a soda can. I think any of them left have lasted this long because they have very few parts. The engine is probably just hamsters running on a wheel.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                          Every time I see a Geo on the road I just shake my head wondering how on earth such a car had survived as long as it has... and passing me on the highway doing 90 no less. I can almost hear the "put-put-put-put-put" of the engine as it does so, too.
                          Geos were persistent little buggers. They may not have run quickly or well, but they ran… and ran, and ran. My venerable old '92 Prizm was technically still operational when I finally donated it, last year.
                          Random Doctor Who quote:
                          "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                          I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

I loved my Geo Metro. Totaled it because someone let a jaywalker go in front of them when I looked at my speed. Yeah didn't do a damn thing to the Corolla. I cried when they towed her away. I made my husband clean her out, I just couldn't.

She did a Vegas trip. Got it up to 80 or 90 and that made the CD stop working. Gord I loved that car
                            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

A Metro could actually GO that fast?
                              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                              X