This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Evannah View Post
    Some people really think that people working in the service industry are the lowest of the low, don't they?
    Yes, they do. Just yesterday, I had a customer claim that cashiers always tried to steal from the customers.

ME: Ma'am, I value my freedom and good name far more than any amount of money.
    SC: (looked surprised for a moment, then back into SC-mode) Well, I wish more people thought that way!

Like I'm totally going to risk jail time and a criminal record for whatever few pitiful cents I can squeeze out of that old bat.
    Quoth patiokitty View Post
    Too many people think workers in the service industry are uneducated and just plain stupid. I don't think they realize how intelligent or educated so many of us are in the service industry. Sure, we'd like a better job but if those jobs aren't too be found we still need a way to put food on the table and keep roofs over our heads.
    Exactly. We're not working in retail because we enjoy taking verbal abuse from arrogant, self-centered brats.
    Last edited by XCashier; 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I can't help but wonder if any of the canes have hidden knives or guns or whatever else in them...
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        I can't help but wonder if any of the canes have hidden knives or guns or whatever else in them...
        What, like this?

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

Exactly. We're not working in retail because we enjoy taking verbal abuse from arrogant, self-centered brats.
          Speak for yourself!

I have a very high amusement requirement these days, and I find I practically live for those stroppy, annoying customers. Mind you, it's mainly so I can practice my 4 native languages on them:

Australian, sarcasm, cynicism, and subtlety. I'm possibly the only person who had a BP state manager call on a Monday morning after she'd read a Saturday night incident report, to ask what the hell an 'egress' was and what was it doing in the station.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
            I'm possibly the only person who had a BP state manager call on a Monday morning after she'd read a Saturday night incident report, to ask what the hell an 'egress' was and what was it doing in the station.
            Well done! Improving management's vocabulary is always a wonderful thing.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
              . Mind you, it's mainly so I can practice my 4 native languages on them:Australian, sarcasm, cynicism, and subtlety.
              I think you're missing one: "ocker"
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
                I have a very high amusement requirement these days, and I find I practically live for those stroppy, annoying customers. Mind you, it's mainly so I can practice my 4 native languages on them:

Australian, sarcasm, cynicism, and subtlety.
                I'm happy for you. I wish I was allowed to give jerks the verbal zingers they so desperately deserve. Australia probably has a different viewpoint than the US; here, the Customer is King, and any peon who has the audacity to tell some jackass customer off will lose their job PDQ.

My workplace is a little better than others in that regard, but that's still not saying much; corporate is still a bunch of brown-nosers who won't take the employees side unless the customer is EXTREMELY horrible.
                Last edited by XCashier; 09-05-2014, 04:24 PM. Reason: grammar
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                  Too many people think workers in the service industry are uneducated and just plain stupid. I don't think they realize how intelligent or educated so many of us are in the service industry. Sure, we'd like a better job but if those jobs aren't too be found we still need a way to put food on the table and keep roofs over our heads.

I find some of the worst are people who have never had to work a day in their lives - they look down their noses at us and treat us like shit. They may think they're better than us, but I know that in the end I am way better than they are. Assholes -_-

Truer words were never spoken. I have an Associate's Degree, and like many others with degrees, Im dealing the hand that Ive been dealt until I can find something better.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    Well, I'm happy for you. I wish I were allowed to give jerks the verbal zingers they so desperately deserve. Australia probably has a different viewpoint than the US; here, the Customer is King, and any peon who has the audacity to tell some jackass customer off will lose their job PDQ.

My workplace is a little better than others in that regard, but that's still not saying much; corporate is still a bunch of brown-nosers who won't take the employees side unless the customer is EXTREMELY horrible.
                    I'm in the states and that's how it is here. Well, we don't get fired, but we hear about it.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

"Everybody loves a cane."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdEPhpBjy-0

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
                        OG: What the hell? Why do you guys have so many friggin canes? Don't you give them back to people? These aren't yours to keep!! What the heck!
                        We DO give them back to people. I am, in fact, doing so RIGHT NOW.

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
                        OG: But they need these!! They don't belong to you. What are you guys trying to do here?
                        We are trying to give canes back to people. If we just leave them where we find them, they get lost.

sigh. l'esprit de l'escalier. Probably wouldn't have sunk in anyway.

Comment

Working my 5-year stint in Retail, I was the Master Retriever of exactly 478 canes. I would be the guy running after elderly people waving their cane around and saying, "HEY! YOU FORGOT THIS!" Old people loved to shop when I was working. They were guaranteed a quick return of any cane they ever forgot that day because I had a sharp eye for this stuff.

Comment

Now you're thinking like me.

Perhaps it would be miniature rockets. Perhaps it could be a flame coming out of the end. Perhaps it could be a dose of knockout gas. Perhaps it could be a hidden microphone inside along with a transmitter that's recording what's going on (camera hidden inside the handle.)

Or better yet, a two way communication system that you can call back to HQ in a emergency (Open Channel D . . . Emergency relay.)

I think I scared off a coworker one morning with my ramblings after they brought an abandoned cane to the back room and I picked it up and examined it.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I can just imagine the suck in a situation like this:

- Elderly person with a felony record forgets their cane.
                              - Comes back, goes through the lost-and-found, and mistakenly picks the wrong cane.
                              - Goes someplace with a metal detector, the cane triggers it.
                              - Security does a "wand" sweep, finds that the cane tripped the detector, and has a gun inside.
                              - Police show up, elderly person winds up facing charges of carrying a concealed weapon, and felon in possession of a firearm.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                                I can just imagine the suck in a situation like this:

- Elderly person with a felony record forgets their cane.
                                - Comes back, goes through the lost-and-found, and mistakenly picks the wrong cane.
                                - Goes someplace with a metal detector, the cane triggers it.
                                - Security does a "wand" sweep, finds that the cane tripped the detector, and has a gun inside.
                                - Police show up, elderly person winds up facing charges of carrying a concealed weapon, and felon in possession of a firearm.
                                True.

There again, imagine the following situation but replace
                                Goes someplace with a metal detector, the cane triggers it.
                                With this:

-Leaves with wrong can and is being followed by a pair of secret agents who want the cane b/c, unknownst to the victim, the cane contains a flash drive which holds blueprints for a high tech thermonuclear detonation device

- Said spies who are following the cane are being followed themselves by folks who want those blueprints so they can build said thermonuclear device and set it off with the intent to cause great calamity to the world's populace.

Damn, I think I just hit on something. . . .

*walks away whistling*
                                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                                X