This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers making comments

This got to me more than it should have, but even so, this is the reason why people should really keep their comments to themselves, even if they think their comments are inoffensive.

So I work in a clothing shop, which is a concession shop within a very large store.

I am autistic. High-functioning. I am very clumsy and have trouble using my hands. I am getting much better at folding clothes, but I do struggle. A woman came up with two men's shirts. Her husband had tried them on and left the buttons undone. This makes it really difficult for me to fold, but I try my best with it. I was REALLY struggling today though, and as I glanced up, I could see the woman eying up the shirts I was folding. Suddenly, I heard this:

Her: Hmm, I can tell you don't do the folding at home! Does your mum fold your clothes?

Me: Nope, I fold my own.

I will admit, my tone wasn't exactly chirpy.

Her: Oh. Well at least you're trying.

UGH. I could feel my face going bright red. I was so embarrassed, especially as there were other customers nearby as well as a colleague. Firstly, I'm 28, yet I got the impression that she thought I was MUCH younger, which I do understand, because I still look like a teenager. Secondly, I don't think it's right to comment on something, such as folding, or counting change, or anything like that. No one is perfect, and they don't realise that sometimes people do struggle with these things on a regular basis, and probably feel really embarrassed when they get comments.

So, in future, lady, please keep your comments to yourself!

So rude. I have carpal tunnel and have had a sucktomer laugh at me for dropping something. Then he called me rude for not laughing along. Some people just have to put down everyone.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Gah. Like it's okay to go into someone's workplace and make comments. If they worked a desk job, would it be okay to go in and watch them, then say things like "wow, you must never have used a computer before, huh?"
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I have carpal tunnel and have had a sucktomer laugh at me for dropping something. Then he called me rude for not laughing along.
        Typical blame-the-victim bullying behavior. They were "only kidding," after all, and shame on you for not having a sense of humor! It's sick.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I once told a customer that if I called in every time I was in pain, I wouldn't have a job. She was shocked that we don't have sick time. It's retail! How do you think you're getting stuff so cheap??
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Some people just have to try to make others feel bad. It's how they get their jollies, proving how "superior" they are. They never seem to realize that it just makes them look like shitheads.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Geez, wtf is wrong with people these days?!
              Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Back when I worked on checkouts, I once had a customer say, "Bet you wish you hadn't dropped out of school, then you'd have a better job!" in a chirpy tone of voice, as tho she thought she wasn't being insulting at all. I replied, "Actually, I have eight GCSEs, three A-Levels and an NVQ. I work here cuz I like my job." She looked as tho I'd just slapped her across the face with a wet halibut and said nothing more, so I turned to her unprejudiced friend and discussed Shakespeare plays with her the rest of the time. Lord, what fools these mortals be!
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  Back when I worked on checkouts, I once had a customer say, "Bet you wish you hadn't dropped out of school, then you'd have a better job!" in a chirpy tone of voice, as tho she thought she wasn't being insulting at all. I replied, "Actually, I have eight GCSEs, three A-Levels and an NVQ. I work here cuz I like my job." She looked as tho I'd just slapped her across the face with a wet halibut and said nothing more, so I turned to her unprejudiced friend and discussed Shakespeare plays with her the rest of the time. Lord, what fools these mortals be!
                  Ugh! People suck! I'm so glad I haven't had a customer say anything like that to me. I went to school, looked for another job for two years in my chosen field, had a handful of interviews, and got nothing. So I ended up at Hellmart. I do like some parts of my job, but I am still looking for something else here and there. I did actually have a customer once who said that I seemed like I was "too smart to work here" - so I discussed a bit of my background with him. Life is what it is, my bills are getting paid, and I love every day of my life regardless
                  Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

You know, more and more well educated people are working in retail. Some of it's the economy, some of it's just the preference of the worker.

It makes me wonder if maybe in 20 or 30 years Sucky Customers will be a thing of the past because the younger crowd working today/coming into the workplace today will know what it's like to be treated like crap and never, ever treat retail employees that way "when they move to bigger and better things" later in life.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I remember coming up to a conversation in progress, and I just hear my co-worker say "actually, I have a Masters in Education." I have no idea why she did, but the customer was quiet afterward. And serious, intelligence doesn't mean you automatically find a well-paying job. I know many smart people who can't find jobs in their field.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                        It makes me wonder if maybe in 20 or 30 years Sucky Customers will be a thing of the past because the younger crowd working today/coming into the workplace today will know what it's like to be treated like crap and never, ever treat retail employees that way "when they move to bigger and better things" later in life.
                        Nope. Sucktomers have been around since before life crawled out of the mud, and after the nukes fall, the only things left will be cockroaches, Cher, Keith Richards, and Sucktomers.

Yes, I'm a cynical bastard.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I suffered a traumatic brain injury at age 17. I sometimes have trouble with word retrieval, even now, 21 years later. I also hold a master's in math. Right now a retail job would be a wonderful thing, as it would be better than no job. My boyfriend has a Ph.D. in biophysics. He'd like a job too (though he's in a lot better shape than I am, as he has a substantial savings that he's been living off of since he was laid off last year). The economy sucks. I'm astounded that so many people still make assumptions about these things.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Nope. Sucktomers have been around since before life crawled out of the mud, and after the nukes fall, the only things left will be cockroaches, Cher, Keith Richards, and Sucktomers.

Yes, I'm a cynical bastard.
                            You forgot Elvis. He's still around here somewhere.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                              I suffered a traumatic brain injury at age 17. I sometimes have trouble with word retrieval, even now, 21 years later. I also hold a master's in math. Right now a retail job would be a wonderful thing, as it would be better than no job. My boyfriend has a Ph.D. in biophysics. He'd like a job too (though he's in a lot better shape than I am, as he has a substantial savings that he's been living off of since he was laid off last year). The economy sucks. I'm astounded that so many people still make assumptions about these things.
                              People are mostly in their own little bubble these days, I think, and to me it seems really polarized too. Either they're truly clueless about the economy, or they're doing well and don't realize that many of us are still trying to find our place again. Almost everyone I know that's in my age group (mid-30's) is sort of struggling along, trying to do the best we can, and comparing all this to when we were kids and wondering what the heck happened.

There's a bunch of job openings up here at the Hanford site in WA, if you're anywhere nearby

Comment

Working...
                              X