This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The iphone SCs cometh...

As you might know, earlier this week Apple made it official that the new iphone will arrive next Friday. This is the first iphone launch I've worked since I've been in the industry and I can already tell I'm going to love it.

The darned thing hasn't even come out yet and already the SCs are out in force at the red checkmark, here's a sample of what I've run into the past few days:

Call #1

- Yes, you're upgrade eligible in December.
    - December
    - Yes, THREE months from now
    - Oh you want an iphone 6, how nice.
    - No, I can't move your upgrade up.
    - No, I can't move your upgrade up.
    - NO, I CAN'T move your upgrade up.
    - NO, my manager can't move your upgrade up either.
    - Please hold to speak to my manager.

(I have the feeling I'm going to be taking this call a LOT over the next couple of weeks. I really hope retention doesn't start throwing out the early upgrades like candy and making us look like jerks.)

Also, as a general rule:

- Cussing me out won't get you an early upgrade

- Insulting me will not get you an early upgrade

- Insulting my family and/or mother will not get you an early upgrade

- Threatening to go the BBB will not get you an early upgrade

- Threatening to take us to court will not get you an early upgrade.

Call #2

- So let me get this straight, you want a FREE iphone 6 simply because you've been a great customer and haven't upgraded since the iphone 4? Sure, let me get right on that for you...NOT!
    - Yes, I get you've spent "thousands" of dollars with us since you got the iphone 4 and you never miss a payment. That's great, we appreciate that, unfortunately that doesn't mean you get a free iphone.
    - No, it doesn't matter that you're a veteran that's done 3 tours in Iraq ()
    - No, it doesn't matter that you "know some very important people"
    - No, the Constitution has nothing to do with this. (I don't even know how we got on to this, something about me not respecting his rights I think. )
    - So now you want to cancel and go to Death Star wireless because you think they'll give you a free iphone 6?
    - Good luck with that, let me get retention for you. (I followed up on this account after and retention did NOT cave for this guy. Needless to say, I'm impressed)

Call #3

- We have a brand new piece of electronics coming out and you have the gall to ask for a discount? Buddy, do you even know how commerce works?
    - No, you can't get a discount.
    - No, you can't get a discount.
    - No, I won't give you my employee discount? (WTF? Why do so many people try this? And for the record, we don't GET an employee discount on phones)
    - So you make $100 000+ a year, and?
    - You graduated from some big college I don't care about, and?
    - You have political connections, and?
    - You know some of our "executive committee" and you'll make my life miserable and have my job if I don't find a way to get you a discount. (Yeah, that's really going to make me want to help you there )
    - Sorry, no discount.
    - I said NO discount.
    - Please hold for a manager.

Boy, the next three weeks (with bonus mandatory overtime!) are going to be such a joy...
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 09-12-2014, 04:20 PM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

Buddy, do you even know how commerce works?
    I mentally changed this to "Bro, do you even commerce?" Just because I am very strange.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If Mr. Discount makes so much...why does he need a discount?

As for early upgrades, Yellowtag for Blue Shirt Electronics is offering a program for early upgrades it seems...I'd hate to say send the SC's over there, usually, but....thoughts?

Comment

As a general rule? So, you're saying it wouldn't hurt to try?

Seriously, I preordered mine at a store this morning. Mine is always complicated because my account is complicated and I wanted it shipped to someplace other than my home, but it went smoothly. Meanwhile, tons of others screaming up a storm of entitlements.

Comment

these people have never played an online game before. you never get it as soon as it comes out, you wait until they've fixed all/most of the bugs. my upgrade isn't for a few months too but i can wait. it will still be shiny to me.
          there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
            these people have never played an online game before. you never get it as soon as it comes out, you wait until they've fixed all/most of the bugs. my upgrade isn't for a few months too but i can wait. it will still be shiny to me.
            This.

I love the guy who wants a discount because he makes 6 figures. That especially breaks multiple laws of logic all at once.
            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
            Fiancee: What?!
            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
              I love the guy who wants a discount because he makes 6 figures.
              I have often found that the people who HAVE lots of money that they did not make themselves, tend to be skinflints. The people who actually earned the money in the first place, however, seem more likely to be more realistic. Then again, some people are just assholes.

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              - Threatening to go the BBB will not get you an early upgrade
              Are you allowed to laugh in their faces when they say this? If not, don't tell me, please just let me to hang on to my dream >_>

- Threatening to take us to court will not get you an early upgrade.
              "Sure! Have your lawyer call our lawyer. NEXT! -- Eh? What? Nope, sorry. Now that you have threatened legal action, we are no longer allowed to communicate with you at store level. NEXT!"
              - No, it doesn't matter that you "know some very important people"
              The guy who sleeps under the overpass doesn't count as "important people." I don't care if he THINKS he's the President.
              - No, the Constitution has nothing to do with this.
              We, the People of the United States of America, in order to form a more perfect cellular access plan...
              - No, I won't give you my employee discount? (WTF? Why do so many people try this? And for the record, we don't GET an employee discount on phones)
              That makes this one easy. "Sure! I'll be glad to!" *type*click*clack* "All-righty, then, with the employee discount included, you have now saved an additional zero dollars and zero cents! Anything else I can do for you today?"
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've timed it right this time, my upgrade period hit last week. Do I expect a free or discounted iPhone 6? Hell no; they only offered me a basic 5C with a worse monthly rate than I already have!

Will I bitch about it? No, I'll ask nicely if anything is possible & if they say no I'll either cave in & pay it, or wait another year… After all, this one still works - in fact, the one I bought this to replace still works too!
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'm not due for an upgrade for another 18 months. I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell I will be getting an iPhone 6. The 7 will probably be out before I can upgrade. Sucks to be me.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

- You know some of our "executive committee" and you'll make my life miserable and have my job if I don't find a way to get you a discount.
                    - You have political connections, and?
                    So uh, why are you talking to me instead of them?
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                      This.

I love the guy who wants a discount because he makes 6 figures. That especially breaks multiple laws of logic all at once.
                      Exactly.

I mean, I only made just over 22,000 last year and I do NOT get a discount. So really, why the fk should he?

STFU and pay up like everyone else.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

So you make $100 000+ a year, and? You want a DISCOUNT?

Wait... what?! The gall!!!

Either he's a liar... or really does have a bare-faced cheek and expects a discount for no reason even though he's rich.

Comment

Some of the tightest fisted people I know are extremely well-off. How do you think they got that way?
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                            I'm not due for an upgrade for another 18 months. I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell I will be getting an iPhone 6. The 7 will probably be out before I can upgrade. Sucks to be me.
                            I upgrade maybe every 2-3 versions - currently on the 5C, feel absolutely no need to upgrade yet.

Comment

This always makes me

Another "new" phone, yeah, yeah, what does this one do...open the garage door? Bake a pie? Walk the dog? No? Didn't think so.

Whatever supposedly makes it so great will still be great when the customer's upgrade time comes around. But by then, of course, they're going to want the NEXT one that's due out any minute.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X