Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No, don't put your child in danger for money you will probably lose.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, don't put your child in danger for money you will probably lose.

Last week a mother came in the store with a three year old. She came to the toy section and the child was standing on the cart. I told her that the child has to remain seated. She acccused me of saying she is a bad parent. Later her child fell and hit her head. She was not seriously injured (thank God) but the mother threatened to sue. I told her that we can call security and management if she really wants to sue, but she will probably lose because she was told to have her child sit down and she ignored it, and because she ignored the warnings the law would see this as child abuse/endangerment, and there have been cases where parents lost the rights to the child because they ignored warnings. She quickly

A few years ago about a Kmart store. Apparently a associate left a ladder unattended, well apparenlty the mother asked her son to climb the ladder. When he reached the top she pushed him off the ladder. Since the store was dead and she was the only one in the area she thought that she could get away with saying that he fell off the ladder. She was planning on suing Kmart for bucks. Little did she know that she was vidoetaped pushing her son off the ladder. The son later confessed that his mother asked him to climb the ladder. She ended up not only losing the case, but also her child for physical abuse. She was not charged.

Then they went on about another story about how it has become an epidemic of parents putting their children in danger just to sue. They talked about this other case where there was a shampoo spill in the middle of the shampoo aisle at a Wal-mart store. The place was blocked up and another parent ordered her child to run in the spilled shampoo. When the associate said that her child cannot run around because that area is slippery, the parent yelled at the child and said she has no right telling her child what to do, and she told her daughter to do as she says or she will get a smack. The child did as she was told fell and the parent tried to sue.Other customers that were witnesses to this incident testified against her. It turned out that the daughter also was put into care for a short time. This woman was actually charged with child endangerment because she was warned not to let her child run around where the spill was.

There have even been cases where parents pushed kids near spills to hurt them in hopes they will make money.

Those are among the most reprehensible things I've ever heard. There is a special, especially hot section in Hell for those mothers...
    "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Deanna Darkstone View Post
      Those are among the most reprehensible things I've ever heard. There is a special, especially hot section in Hell for those mothers...
      Exactly, it's sick that they put their children in danger s lawsuit, if you are going to do this, put youself in danger of becoming paralized or seriously hurt.

Also a security guard that we work with arrested a parent for shoplifting, apparent she asked her nine year old son to steal a household item. The parent did not teach the child that stealing is wrong but someone else did. The poor kid tried to refuse only to be told that if he did not do as she said she would slap him and kill his goldfish. Out of fear he stole the item. She was not done with the stealing there. She wanted to buy another $12 item, she thought it was $6, she said if it is $12 she did not want it. Well after everything was checked out she claimed she paid for the $12 item. The cashier told her she did not and asked the cashier to cancel. (now mind you the security guard saw her son steal and was watching everything). She kept insisiting she did not say such a thing and wanted what she "paid" for. The son thought that the parent "forgot" and said that she did tell the cashier to take out the item. At this point the mother knew she was wrong and called the son a stupid idiot. She then tried to go to another checkout with the item for a bag,but the cashier told the other cashier the item had not been paid for. Before being caught by security she slapped her son across the face for ruining her plan and told him that he owed her $12.

The story gets even more disturbing. When the security guard went out to arrest her for shopplifting she said that since the item was in her son's possession he should be arrested. The security guard thought she was suspicious even before the mother asked the child to put the item in his pocket. The security guard said that she had overheard the conversation between the mother and son and said that the child only stole out of fear of getting hit if he did not steal. It does not stop there in the security office the mother called her son stupid, because he was not careful, and was stupid enough to get caught and can't do anything (including stealing) right. The child's father used this against the mother and won sole custody of the child. The boy came into my store about two weeks ago and he had changed. He is doing better now. He is more relaxed with the father. With the mother he was all edgy as if she would snap at any minute. He must be 11 now.
      Last edited by mafiagodfather; 07-05-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Quoth mafiagodfather View Post
        When he reached the top she pushed him off the ladder. Since the store was dead and she was the only one in the area she thought that she could get away with saying that he fell off the ladder.
        Oh wow, glad I misread it the first time.... I read "Since the son was dead".

Comment

Sadly, this is what happens when idiots get on juries and the courts become a lottery that rewards stupidity.

At least CPS stepped in on most of the cases.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I think that people should take an IQ test before becoming parents. It's real easy to make a child, but it's a lot harder to raise a child.
            Boogity, Boogity, Boogity Let's Go Racing Boys

Comment

It wouldn't be this bad if the courts themselves weren't so retarded that this actually WORKS half the time.

Quoth dalejrfan71 View Post
              I think that people should take an IQ test before becoming parents. It's real easy to make a child, but it's a lot harder to raise a child.
              Yes, I never understood that. You need an examine and/or license to do everything else that could ruin someone else's life: Driving, owning a gun, getting married, etc. But kids? Nah, just squirt them out. Plenty of room in the trailer park. Actually keeping your legs closed would require too much effort.

Comment

I saw an incident like that with the abusive theif mother at a local Walmart.

I'm 27 going on 12, so I still buy toys on occasion. I was in the toy isle checking out some Transformers (I'm not going to lie to save myself here) when I overheard a little boy tell his daddy he wanted a particular Star Wars figure. The dad said okay and checked his wallet. Apparently he found himself a few dollars shy, so he said "you really want this one?" The child says "yeah" and so dad says "okay, here, tuck this in your pants behind your jacket." The little boy knew better and said "but daddy, that's stealing." Daddy says "no, we'll just take it now and pay later. They let you do that."

I'm not very tolerant of shoplifting, so I immediately went to the CS counter and let them know. Then, I sat on a bench to watch my handiwork. Lo and behold, they stopped the pair at the door and found the item. The father jerked his child up by the arm and told him "I taught you better than that!" He appologized profusely for it and told them he didn't want it. WHen the boy began to protest, the father said "hush up, son and come on."

Some parents...
                O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

I'm 27 going on 12, so I still buy toys on occasion. I was in the toy isle checking out some Transformers (I'm not going to lie to save myself here)
                  For shame! A grown man buying toys! <quietly hides his autobots>

Comment

That's really sad when the kids are willing to take responsibility and telling THEIR parents what's wrong and right. . . What's wrong with people today? Teach them bad habits at home, but it's o.k. because the parent tells them to? Goodness gracious, if someone were to enter their home (could be a child no less) or their car and steal their property, it would be WRONG.

And then they come to the Pawn Shops and bitch at us about it . . .

And, I live in a trailer park . . . (cheap rent and manager is on site, makes for a really nice park).
                    This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth mafiagodfather View Post
                      When the security guard went out to arrest her for shopplifting she said that since the item was in her son's possession he should be arrested.
                      Uh, no, under a certain age, the parent is arrested irregardless of any provocation. Up in Canada, it's 12 years old.

He is more relaxed with the father. With the mother he was all edgy as if she would snap at any minute. He must be 11 now.
                      Very cool ending for him.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                        For shame! A grown man buying toys! <quietly hides his autobots>
                        I agree it is a shame that a grown man buys toys still. *hides lego's*

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                          Uh, no, under a certain age, the parent is arrested irregardless of any provocation. Up in Canada, it's 12 years old.

Very cool ending for him.
                          Actually I live in Canada, and they can arrest the child, but they can't charge him with anything util he is 12, they are trying to change it from 12 to 10 because and it's a good thing too and I hope this goes through because about ten years ago an eleven year old and his friends raped a 13 year old, and the eleven year old taunted the police about how he cannot be charged because he was under 12.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                            Oh wow, glad I misread it the first time.... I read "Since the son was dead".
                            Glad I was not the only one who misread it. That is what I read the first time. I would like that parent to climb to the top of high ladder and I will push her off. She could have killed him, then what? Apparently money is more important then her son. This is probably one of the most sickening this I have read on this board.

Comment

Some people are just sad, sad beings. Damn, this thread made me all emo, but I know how these things go.

My grandmother was a horrible parent as well, but luckily my mum had the strength to NOT go in her footsteps, and she's a great mum herself. I've wowed to continue the trend

I just hope that some of these kids are strong enough to rid themselves of the bad influence and become decent people anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X