Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No, don't put your child in danger for money you will probably lose.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, I can't believe people actually do that just to try and get money. Now I know why my store really urges on safety and always having an associate near a spill at all times until a safety cone can be put up.

I almost got into a situation like that, only it was totally my fault.

This week I was out in Vail doing some downhill biking. Unfortunately, one of the days happened to be the 3rd of July and the top of the mountain was quite busy. I started down the trail to head to the downhill courses when I saw a large group of people (10-15 or so) literally taking up the entire trail. Now, I was going about 30 or so mph down this mountain and I definitely saw them up ahead. I shouted "On your right," which is the NORBA way of saying "I am going to be passing you on your right, please make room so I can overtake you." I said this way ahead of time (and I mean WAY ahead) and was trying to slow down as best as I could. However, the dirt was quite loose and it was very hard to stop. The people in the group heard me shout that and most moved to the left. However, a few had no idea what to do and were going left and right at the same time. I was freaking out and trying to stop as best as I could and aimed for the small gap between the people so I would not hit anyone.

Unfortunately, at the last second, the lady jumped in my way and I smacked right into her at 20mph on a 48lb bike. I wasn't worried about mysafety because I was wearing a full face helmet, goggles, etc. I was scared that I killed this lady because I hit her so hard. Thankfully, I had hit her on the right side of my body and not with my bike itself. I flew off of my bike and she fell to the ground. I apologized profusely and felt terrible. I asked her if she was OK and went through a few procedures to check for any sprains. She only had a small cut on her elbow (and after a crash like that, that's a miracle!).

When I found that she was fine, I was then scared she would sue me in some sort of way for hitting her. A pedestrian suing a biker for hitting her is an instant win for the pedestrian; I would have no chance in court. Turned out that she was actually laughing about the situation and was all right with it. She said sorry to me for jumping in the way, to which I replied that it was totally my fault for not stopping in time. We talked for about 5 minutes about how this will be a great story to tell when she gets back, I apologized even more, and then I was on my way.

Maybe I got off lucky or something. I could've easily been sued far out the ass and my parents would've been totally out of money.

I still can't believe I actually hit someone I've never done that before.

A word of advice to all when you're walking in an area full of bikers: If you're in a big group, do not take up the entire trail where there are bikers everywhere.

A word of advice to all bikers in an area with lots of hikers: Slow down a lot faster than I did Yield to pedestrians a lot better than I did.

Comment

Quoth Kilamon View Post
      I read somewhere that a woman wishing to have an abortion in certain states are required to undergo a psychiatric evaluation to determine if she is well enough to make that decision. I find it very odd that something like that is required for an abortion and yet anyone is allowed to create kids WITHOUT the same evaluation.
      By the time they finish the psychiatric evulation, it would be too late for the abortion, also if you suspect someone needs a PE, should they really be allowed to be parents in the first place.

Comment

Also there is another trend of drug addicted pregnant mothers and their boyfriends, husbands ect trying to get the mother injured in order for their unborn child to be born unhealty just so they can get a settlement. Though not all of them are drug addicted, some just for money.

Comment

Quoth Zell View Post
          A word of advice to all when you're walking in an area full of bikers: If you're in a big group, do not take up the entire trail where there are bikers everywhere.
          And another word of advice from another bicyclist (this one a roadie):

If you and your friends are not completely blocking the lane/trail, and you see a cyclist hurtling at you, chances are good that he/she has already plotted their way around/by you, so making any sudden movements in any direction beyond what you are already doing (i.e., walking forward) might not be in anyone's best interest.

Just a bit of FYI for ya!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Fun fact on the matter of legal age for prosecution in Germany: 14. If you're younger than that, no matter what you do, the police can't touch you. There's nothing they can do other than drop you off with your parents.

Back in the 90s, there was a rather famous case of one kid, who (at age 13) had committed over 80 felonies and misdemeanors. Among those were theft, vandalism, breaking and entering, arson, assault and battery, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon.

He got so much publicity, the police showed up at his home on the morning of his 14th birthday and brought him in. He was charged with everything they had, and, since his family were immigrants, deported within the week.

Later I read that he served a few years' prison in his homeland, then got his own talkshow...
            You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Kilamon View Post
              I read somewhere that a woman wishing to have an abortion in certain states are required to undergo a psychiatric evaluation to determine if she is well enough to make that decision. I find it very odd that something like that is required for an abortion and yet anyone is allowed to create kids WITHOUT the same evaluation.
              Could be worse. China taxes you from the second kid forward.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                Later I read that he served a few years' prison in his homeland, then got his own talkshow...
                He must've been an American.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
                    Could be worse. China taxes you from the second kid forward.
                    .... and that would be a problem, how?

I'm joking.

Mostly.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Maybe this is the next logical extension from the way beggars in 19th century London were known to hurt their own children in order to get more sympathy and more money from the "marks"... heartbreaking.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        .... and that would be a problem, how?

I'm joking.

Mostly.

^-.-^
                        I know for sure that idea ain't gonna fly over here thats for sure!!

Comment

Buglady, beggars in Pakistan/other parts of that region do the same thing (or did when my dad was over there in the early 80s).
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                          X