X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a link to a Canadian woman who knows a lot about cars:
    http://www.cfrb.com/shows/501366

I try to listen to as much of her radio show on Saturday mornings as I can. She is knowledgeable, approachable, funny, and above all a female. So next time you think one of these neanderthals is getting you down, remember this link.
    "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

but i do say that its the automotive department every time i answer the phone.

i might forgive cultural reasons, but common over the phone thats just not right and its like every one who calls man woman or teenager. common i live in so cal of all places. there will be another woman joining me soon im sure she will share my annoyance.

i think today ill keep a tab on how many times some one asks for the auto department after i answer the phone.

i do say i have a few fans, that will only deal with me,
      "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth MadRocketScientist View Post
        If it makes you feel any better, I do embrodiery when the mood strikes. I once embrodered the entire back of a jean jacket I had. Everyone asked me how long it took my mom to do it, when I told them I did it in 2 weeks, they were shocked to learn I could use a needle and thread (I can use a sewing machine too!).
        I'm handy with both a wrench and a needle. I repair my own car and I repair my own clothing.

I can also cook.
        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Lol.
          I am reminded of American Body Shop on Comedy Central.
          In the premier episode, there is one woman in the whole group, and I still don't know what she does.

But I think female grease monkeys are hot.
          I have to go do something again.
          "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I was on a design team in college (FSAE) that built a race car each year. When a group of people would come in for a tour, most the professors knew me well enough that they'd ask me to give the tour because I put enough time in that I knew the car pretty well and could answer most questions thrown my way. The guys on the team just saw me as "one of the guys". A select few teachers absolutely refused to believe a girl was capable of knowing anything about a car and would try to give it themselves (the school wants the students to give it just bc we're younger or something like that) but end up looking stupid once the questions started rolling in.
            Now I'm working for a car company and the guys defiantly see us as equals which is awesome.

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
              but i do say that its the automotive department every time i answer the phone.
              That has nothing to do with you being female. That's just people calling and not bothering to actually pay full attention to the phone. I answer phones with the name of my company, and I get people asking if I am that company all the time.

I particularly like when I answer with the company name and then they ask if we're some other company entirely that doesn't even have a name that sounds like ours.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

i thought that as well, but then when i was listening to my co workers answer the phone they never say this is the auto center, maybe once or twice i have heard it in the time i been working there (over 6 months now) so i dont think thats the case.
                "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Garbage

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  Men...they can be so horrible.

Don't worry, they'll get what they deserve.
                  When we had female techs doing computer repairs it was the women customers demanding that we don't let her work on their machines. I can only remember only one guy demanding a male tech. I can remember at-least ten women who demanded that we not let Lori or Sonya work on their machine.

Comment

If you go it, use it

Quoth queenbb View Post
                    i also had the experience that if you are a feminine woman, its much harder for people to take you seriously in male dominated fields.
                    No, I am not talking about sex or flirting. I am talking about blindsiding the idiot who is too busy looking at your breasts to realize there is a brain above them.

The second to last truck I bought, I had a female friend from work who knows auto-mechanics help me buy it. She is related to one of the Playmates of the Year and looks a lot like her cousin too.

When we arrived at the lot with a truck I was interested in the salesman walks right to me (see the silly man assuming I am the one buying - I was, but he assumed) at which point I told him to talk to Marlene. It was clear he did not expect much from her and by the time his brain clued in she had the price down $1000, by the time I left the lot owning the truck it was $1500 less than the posted price.

If I had gone alone it would have cost me $5000 for the used truck, I got it for $3500. Only problem, cash is KING. If I had told her I had the money in cash on me she probably could have bargain a few more hundred off.

Comment

That's interesting.

A female friend of mine worked at a big chain store in the auto department and she said it was the women that always wanted to see a man, or expressed disbelief that a woman can work in automotive. She said she had very few problems with the men. In fact, she said most of the guys thought it was cool.

Comment

sometimes i get the women who feel that way, but i also understand that as i mentioned in my last post that they dont feel that you can work on cars and still be a feminine woman. they dont expect it because they would expect me to be to be more "butch" for lack of a better term (no offense to any lesbian out there)

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                          She is related to one of the Playmates of the Year and looks a lot like her cousin too.
                          Quoth hotelnpa View Post
                          She said she had very few problems with the men. In fact, she said most of the guys thought it was cool.
                          Now, you see, the first practically explains the second. Except for the assholes, guys like cute women who know the same things they do, because it makes talking to them less awkward.

Oh, and ECP, which year?
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                          X