This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried chicken woes

My brother's manager friend had another good story to tell. This dealt with the deli at Publix, and one of the things they sell there is fried chicken. I myself have bought their chicken on numerous occasions, and one of the things they put on the boxes is the shelf life. Normally, it will say it's good from 5pm to 7pm, or whatever time it was brought out of the fryer up to two hours later.

This old fart approached the deli, and it was somewhere around 645pm. In the chicken bin, there was chicken placed there, a couple that said good from 5pm to 7pm, and others that said 6pm to 8pm. He first demanded to get chicken fresh out of the fryer, meaning he wanted them to cook him eight pieces of chicken, then give it to him as fresh as it could be because if he bought something cooked before 645pm, he would get sick. When they politely told him that was not possible being they were not going to be making any more for the night, he demanded he get a box of the 5pm to 7pm chicken at a discounted price! So, in other words, he first wanted fresh out of the fryer chicken to take home because all of the chicken that was out would make him sick, but then he wants a discount on chicken that was about to expire in fifteen minutes.

Needless to say, nobody gave in to this guy because they pointed out his errors. If their previously cooked chicken was going to make him sick, then they certainly were not going to sell it to him. He got pissed and left.

I always liked how people would offer to buy something at a discounted rate, like they were doing me a favor by offering to buy it at all. Hey doofus! If it isn't good enough to go out at full price then it isn't good enough to go out at all!

Comment

I am always shocked when people bring up a damaged item (book with a torn dust cover, scratched picture frame etc) and ask if we have another because 'it's for a gift'. In these cases I offer to order a new item for them, or sell them the damaged one at a discounted price. Every single time they take the discount! Does this mean they were lying about it being a gift, or they are just shoddy gift-givers?
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Is that guy stupid? I ALWAYS wait for the chicken to "expire." It doesn't really expire; it just has been sitting there all day in a heater and nobody bought it. There's nothing wrong with the chicken itself.

When our stuff "expires," they usually put a big fat discount ticket on it that lowers the price by a good $3-4. For a chicken that's $6, that is a hell of a deal. In fact, some days if there is a ton of chicken still left at 9:30 at night, they give it away in the store for FREE!

The same thing applies with steaks and stuff, except it's never free. I'll usually see a steak that I want, but it's like $10 or so. I wait til the end of my shift, go back to the meat section, and voila: a $4 off discount ticket is on it

Comment

I almost never buy stuff at full price if I can help it- housewares, and clothes & shoes especially. I am big on waiting until it goes on sale. Like this past Saturday, we bought a gazebo for our garden patio at Target. At the beginning of the season, it was about $200. Then 2 weeks ago, it was discounted to $139. But when we went there to get it this Sat, there were no more boxed ones, only the floor model, which we had no issue with (except we had to wait until today to get it). Because we asked about the floor model, we got an additional 30% off the price, so we got a nice $200 gazebo for $97.99 + tax.
          "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            I am always shocked when people bring up a damaged item (book with a torn dust cover, scratched picture frame etc) and ask if we have another because 'it's for a gift'. In these cases I offer to order a new item for them, or sell them the damaged one at a discounted price. Every single time they take the discount! Does this mean they were lying about it being a gift, or they are just shoddy gift-givers?
            It certainly does not take a genious to figure out this bit of conniving tom foolery, does it? They do that because they want you to discount it for them, and the "gift" they are buying is for themselves! Of course it's a gift! That doesn't mean they're giving it to someone else!

Comment

You always know it's a legit gift when they'd rather wait to order a new one (unless they need it sooner than it can be ordered, and then I would suggest ordering it and buying a gift card for the amount of the book, so the person can just pick it up when it comes in). Some people would figure it out with tax and buy a GC for the exact amount it would come to.

We used to get the "expired" cheesecake slices at the end of the last night they were good. Yum. One of the occasional perks of closing.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                You always know it's a legit gift when they'd rather wait to order a new one (unless they need it sooner than it can be ordered, and then I would suggest ordering it and buying a gift card for the amount of the book, so the person can just pick it up when it comes in). Some people would figure it out with tax and buy a GC for the exact amount it would come to.
                Or when they decide that the discount is so good, they'd better get that one for themselves, and order a new one on top of it.

Comment

When i worked for Winn Dickme, if something "expired" it was required by company policy that it be thrown away RIGHT AWAY. It was amazing how many whole cakes and packaged meat was thrown away. No joke.
                  They wouldnt let the employee's buy it at a discount, or even customers for that matter.

If i had any say in it, id just have a waiver for employees. You agree that if you get sick because of said product, its your own fault. and you cannot sue us.
                  otherwise you get it for atleast half price. Enjoy!

hehe but im not cut out for leadership in retail. you know, common sense and all that
                  http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                  Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

I remember once having to post about an alleged customer fretting over the quality and price of some flowers. Her logic? "I don't want to spend too much on these. They're for a friend."

To this day, I think her friend needs a better friend.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                    X