This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail Computer Sales

Ok, I have visited here for years since I used to work a computer helpdesk. I never thought I would end up again in retail computer sales.

Last week I got stuck helping two old farts. They were buying a printer that was 50% off list, about 30% below cost. They told me that they were members of a local computer club and should get an extra discount. I told them the printer was being sold for less than I could buy it with my employee discount. One of them (Old fart #1) told me I was a liar. I ignored his total disrespect of me.

Old fart #1 then started asking me questions about the features of the printer, especially concerning enlargement and reduction of the scanner part of the printer. I advised him that the only two settings available on the printer were fit to page and 100%, any other adjustments were made with the printer software. He told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and that his current printer had more adjustments on the printer. He said he wanted to speak to someone else. I went to look for another person to speak to them....every other salesperson was avoiding me since they didn't want to deal with them either. I printed out the printer specs from the manufacturers website and went back and gave it to the customer. I informed him again how scaling was done. He again told me I don't know what I was talking about.

Finally I told this fool that I have been working with and on computers and printers for 25 years and that if he wants to speak to anyone with more experience he would need to wait on hold and speak to the manufacturer.

I started to walk away and he said that he would purchase the machine. I tried to sell him an exchange program for $10 so we could recoup some of the loss on the sale. Old fart #2 told him not to go for it. That if it breaks he could buy another.

I took them to a register to be rung up. The cashier asked if I wanted the sale put under my sales id. I told her no. Both old farts start telling her to put the sale under my number so I would get credit for the sale. They would not purchase any print cartridges, paper or a printer cable. (I work on commission and dont feel like Losing commission overall for a sale in the weeds).

I walked away laughing so I didn't start crying. I will run if I see them again and hide.

Let me get this straight: you will LOSE commission if you sell a printer at the advertised price? How on Earth does that one make sense????
    You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
      Let me get this straight: you will LOSE commission if you sell a printer at the advertised price? How on Earth does that one make sense????
      If their commision is a proffit center based model then they would lose out if the selling price of the item is lower then the price that the store pays for the item. I wouldn't imagine that they could put a negative commision on the item and deduct from the total of commisions but in reality they could. It would work like this

Item. Selling Price store Cost Profit Amount applied to commision
      computer $700 $650 $50 $50.00
      Protect Plan $150 $0.00 $150.00 $150.00
      USB Cabel $19.99 $1.99 $18.00 $18.00
      POS Printer $75.00 $125 -$50.00 -$50.00
      total amount that commision is based on $168.00

This would be a Profit Sharing type of commision structure (higher percentage rate of commision), whereas if you just took the total selling price and based commision off of that you would get a lower percentage rate on the commision but you wouldn't get dinged for the items that the store took a loss on. This model also keeps sales people from lowering the price of an item to much just to make the sale.
      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Update

Digilite understands our commission process. I hope I never see those numbskulls again. Oh as a side note, they had been taken care of me before, picked my brain and went to purchase another item at Brandsmart (a wholesale supplier). They told me this.

Also, OF#2 proudly told me that he was 80 years old. I thought to myself, he stills is alive while my Dad died 2 days before he turned 80 and deserved to live longer than that idiot. (Pure Rant)

Comment

Working...
        X