Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen mops hanging from some very .. odd places. One 'customer' (I use the term lightly) decided to make a pyramid from some pails..how they managed to do this without anybody noticing is still a mystery. The Pyramid was right in the middle of the aisle (the security camera caught them doing it on tape, but technically they didn't do anything illegal), they were building for 20 minutes on 2nd shift and nobody noticed.

Flipflops in the chip aisle, feminine hygiene products on the pool display, condoms in the kids toy section....
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I can't remember the exact questions, but there are many, many, many of them, and the idea is to ask you the same questions in many different ways, to see how consistent you are. Also to see if you're a good liar, or a people person.

I consider myself outgoing and gregarious, moreso than a lot of people, but I will admit I think a lot of people are stupid, I refuse to lie and say that I like all kinds of people, and won't lie and say I'd uphold policy by tattling on everyone who doesn't, etc.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
        I can't remember the exact questions, but there are many, many, many of them, and the idea is to ask you the same questions in many different ways, to see how consistent you are. Also to see if you're a good liar, or a people person.
        A lot of them come under the "Do you still beat your wife" heading. No way to answer that and it sounds good.

Quoth blas View Post
        I consider myself outgoing and gregarious, moreso than a lot of people, but I will admit I think a lot of people are stupid, I refuse to lie and say that I like all kinds of people, and won't lie and say I'd uphold policy by tattling on everyone who doesn't, etc.
        I know I've screwed myself the exact same way on those stupid things.

I guess there's still enough people out there that answer those things honestly is why companies still use them. I would have thought that they'd have become moot by now because everybody knows what answers are being looked for.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I've been working at the Mart for almost 3yrs and Yes, you do have to be insane to work there. I think it's in our job descriptions
          "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth Mr. Anubite View Post
            On my old cell phone, I had a series of pictures of produce items in strange places at Wal-Mart. My favorite was of a bag of grapes next to the pool chemicals, but I had some good ones of strawberries in the cleaning supply isle, too

Can anyone give an example of a question from the personality quizzes you people failed? I'm a little worried now
            One thing that has always puzzled me with the layouts in Wal Mart, at least up here in my province... Is they always put the big display of Pool Chemicals right next to the Children's toys aisle... Often with little kids toys on one side and Very Toxic 'Kill if you look at them wrong' chemicals on the facing side. For awhile, they even had those pool chemicals located in the aisle between Electronics games and Toys at one store; they're now moved but still near the toys section.

Now finding things in strange places is one thing (I admit guiltily I've done that once or twice myself, though usually just leaving stuff on Ends), but blatant bad-idea layout decisions like that just /boggle me.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
              One thing that has always puzzled me with the layouts in Wal Mart, at least up here in my province... Is they always put the big display of Pool Chemicals right next to the Children's toys aisle... Often with little kids toys on one side and Very Toxic 'Kill if you look at them wrong' chemicals on the facing side. For awhile, they even had those pool chemicals located in the aisle between Electronics games and Toys at one store; they're now moved but still near the toys section.

Now finding things in strange places is one thing (I admit guiltily I've done that once or twice myself, though usually just leaving stuff on Ends), but blatant bad-idea layout decisions like that just /boggle me.
              Were the swimming pools close by?

I have to say we had a similar layout at the swamp. Pool chemicals were always with the swimming pools, waterslides, and pool toys, and across from summer toys. Just because it's pretty logical to put the pool chemicals next to the swimming pools.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
                I've been working at the Mart for almost 3yrs and Yes, you do have to be insane to work there. I think it's in our job descriptions
                It is also a prequalifying condition to get promoted. I should know, I got promoted in two months.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I have been working at walmart for 9 years now. I am not poor or stupid. Walmart has been there for me in alot of ways.

When i needed more than 12 weeks for FMLA i got it. When i wanted to step down i got it. When i just wanted to work 9-4 tues-sat i got it.

what makes me laugh is when i cash someones pay check and they say rude comments like i bet you never saw a paycheck that high...and its less than i usually get.

Comment

No, not all Walmart employees are poor OR stupid, but insane isn't either..nor is it a bad thing.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Were the swimming pools close by?

I have to say we had a similar layout at the swamp. Pool chemicals were always with the swimming pools, waterslides, and pool toys, and across from summer toys. Just because it's pretty logical to put the pool chemicals next to the swimming pools.
                      I don't know for sure. There may have been pool toys, but the pools themselves IIRC usually got booted out to the seasonal/garden centre. Still, it just /boggles me to have so many deadly poisonous chemicals right smack dab in the middle of the Kid Zone. At least move them to the other side of Toys, (which borders on Automotive). The Bikes are already there so it's not a huge jump to have the pool stuff there (Toys and chemicals). Hell I wouldn't even mind it so much if it was a single aisle (both sides) devoted to the chemicals and/or non-kids pool stuff; my beef was the chlorine in front of you and the kid toys behind you. /rant off

Comment

I was at one of the SuperCenters a couple weeks ago going through the soda aisle. It looked like a shoplifters paradise. A lot of ripped open packages from other areas of the store were left there. Some electronics, some health/beauty aids, even a condom package.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Y'all don't want me to get started on my 19 months in the hell that is the pharmacy there.
                          Yes we do. post it

Quoth Mytical View Post
                          but insane isn't either..nor is it a bad thing.
                          good cover id kick you in the butt insane is awesome
                          Last edited by Whiskey; 08-25-2010, 10:24 AM.
                          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Putting the pool chemicals where they shouldn't be is a corporate idea. If it's a bad move, you can bet 3/4 times, it'll be a corporate notion that's come down the pipe. Damn, people need to learn to tell corporate "No".

I've been working there for just over five years now, and I can safely tell you that anyone who wants to provide customer service at the big, golden, unhappy face is deceiving themselves.

Customers are the enemy. To whomever said customers seemed to be an intrusion, this would be correct. That the employees had the time to even talk to each other is a miracle, or they were poor workers. The bigger miracle is that you saw three employes anywhere in the store! Most of the time, everyone is running around, trying to do seven people's jobs with no backup. It's gotten so bad, even the managers have to get on the floor and work because there isn't anyone around to keep up with it all.

The fact is, the slaves at the big, golden, unhappy face have too much to worry about to put up with any daydreams about 'Customer service'. We really don't care about the customers, except for cashiers, but they're all part-timers. We can't care, because if we do, if we help you, the work doesn't get done and we get written up. The work, and the bullshit, never ends. Everyone is exhausted, and angry, but since we've no union, and no other jobs, we've also no recourse. To us, one consumer is just like every other - entitled, unhelpful, a drain of energy and waste of our time. No matter how we try to make them happy, we won't succeed, so why bother?

It's just like trying to please a manager or a corporatist. You could be Superman, and they'd still expect you to mop up the Kryptonite.
                            Last edited by Kristev; 08-29-2010, 12:44 AM.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Those personality tests always seemed like they're in place to weed out those with a sense of self. If you have any convictions, sense of honesty, or self awareness, and you answer honestly, you won't pass the test. They want drones that will do what what they're told and won't complain, never mind that a warm body isn't always better than no body.
                              Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Kristev. The Mart of Walls people are treated badly by both corporate, and by the irate customers that are caused by corporate policies. Most are decent people, in a bad situation (there are of course exceptions). Unfortunately the common person (who has never been in retail) doesn't care about that. All they know is that it is hard to get help (if they actually need it or not is for another debate), and that wait times get a bit..frustrating.

Cheap will only go so far, and as people complain (again if they are scamming or not is for another debate) and corporate dish out more freebies..prices will have to go up..and soon they won't be cheap. So they are shooting themselves in the foot now to get 'profit' up. To all wally world employees, you put up with a lot of things you should not have to.

Comment

Working...
                                X