• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the bookmobile spring a leak?

This is a sighting for two reason:

1) Littering
    2) Really weird book titles

On the paper route this morning, I drove by a book in the middle of the road...and another...and another...and another...so Hubs and I decided to drive back and them up (we have way too much time on the route ).

All told, we found several books strewn across seven blocks. There may have been more...those were just the blocks that my route covered. It appears, as far as I can tell, that there was a pile of stuff marked "FREE" left out at the epicenter of the mess, which probably originally contained the books. Someone or someones (probably with the help of alcohol), decided it would be fun to drive around and chuck the books at buildings and parked cars.

By themselves, the titles aren't much, but considering they're likely from the same collection...it's one freaking random collection. Two titles especially sent me into mode...I'll let you guess which two they are.

Not the full list, but here are a few highlights of what we found:

A thesaurus (the most useful of the lot)
    "Refinancing Your Mortgage"
    Some Reader's Digest condensed novels
    A Mac C++ manual
    An astronomy book
    "Hot Flashes: The Novel"
    More RD condensed novels
    A QuarkXpress manual
    "IBM and the Holocaust"
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    A thesaurus (the most useful of the lot)
    "Refinancing Your Mortgage"
    Some Reader's Digest condensed novels
    A Mac C++ manual
    An astronomy book
    More RD condensed novels
    A QuarkXpress manual
    "IBM and the Holocaust"
    How sad is it that the list looks like what I would expect to find on a typical computer programmer's shelf, especially one who is over 30?

I don't have most of that list, but my book shelf is not too far different in type of material.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      By themselves, the titles aren't much, but considering they're likely from the same collection...it's one freaking random collection. Two titles especially sent me into mode...I'll let you guess which two they are.
      "IBM and the Holocaust

These are my guesses.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
        "IBM and the Holocaust

These are my guesses.
        I would honestly buy both of those if I saw them on the shelves, just for the sheer morbid curiosity.

P.S. I love the game reference in your sig, the game itself, and you for making it.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          "IBM and the Holocaust

These are my guesses.
          Hooray! Have some cookies! *tosses cookies*
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Hey, I've read "IBM and the Holocaust"! (Some branches of IBM did business with the Nazis during WWII). Actually pretty interesting read.
            Voodoo is a very interesting religion for the whole family, even those members of it who are dead. - Good Omens

Comment

Wait, Mac C++? Do Macs get their own special version or something? Or was it one of those things just to sell more by making it appear to be specialized?
              Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Quoth Skrae View Post
                Wait, Mac C++? Do Macs get their own special version or something? Or was it one of those things just to sell more by making it appear to be specialized?
                Take your pick of possibilities. There's the fact that most C++ compilers are actually slightly different from each other, or the fact that, until OSX, Mac didn't have a command line and would therefore not be usable in the same way other systems were, or the fact that Macs have their own libraries for doing things like drawing windows and reading the mouse movements, or even the fact that, until 1998, C++ was not actually standardized, and therefore you would have needed a more specialized book to teach you about your compiler and platform of choice.

So, yeah, not even close to out of the ordinary.

Comment

I didn't know that, I thought C++ was C++ was C++, I knew about differences from compiler to compiler, but figured they should use the same library.
                  Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Working...
                  X